Winter Seasonal Growing

Yeah I was kinda suprised how quick they fluffed up too Everest. Like I said, been a long time since I've done this.

I should have typed that the greenhouse cost me 70 dollars, not 700 or whatever I typed before. Sorry about that,.

With a little research there's a couple factories in Victoria that make small economical greenhouses. One in broadmeadows i think. but no doubt they would all send by mail. I got mine from ebay, and icked it up from the factory, lucky it was in the same town as I am. but I havent seen them on ebay since i bought mine. not that I look that often either.

Luke mentioned when buying a greenhouse, always get them as big as you can. that you need far more space than you at first imagined. I knew he'd be right :blink: Once u get a table in there, some pots and such, it gets crammed pretty quick. Still, this one is just 12 feet long, 6 feet tall, about 10 feet wide. It's just big enough. Although if I took the table out it would ake more space, it's a good cover item to have in there. it's pretty transparent.

cheers

rob

Thanks Mully, but I'm only doing it for a shortfall in my system being dismantled and sick of paying through the nose for smoke, and a subject that was raised a few months ago. It never struck me that growing outside through winter was such a contentious issue until a few people raised it, so i thought I'd grow one or two outside just as a "show and tell" kinda thing for anyone who has future questions about it's viability.

Seems outdoor growing methods are becomming history really quick with the way indoor hydroponics has taken off hey. which I can understand, just this little one and a couple more to go in have me on edge. Better off inside if u have neigbors like mine, that's for sure.

rob

will outdoor in sydney be o.k? isn't it too cold. please explain;must they be covered ? please let me know very kean!!!!
I imagine Sydney would be alright.

Great thread Rob. I can't agree about Sydney though. I grew near Sydney and used to plant September 1 and harvest between late March and late May depending on the variety. Fantastic climate for pot and the terrain makes it great too. All those steep sandstone gullies and ridges makes concealing and providing enough sun fairly easy. I think its way too cold for a winter grow, especially if you live away from the coast. You get frequent -5 temps and thick frosts. You would have to have some shelter for plants but even then I don't like your chances. Could be wrong though. Cannabis is an amazing plant.

Fair enough, I've never lived in sydney, but I have noticed places in Victoria are incredibly colder than in Tasmania at the same times of year. The place I learned to grow outside in winter has an un-official lowest record of - 12 degrees. officially it's like minus 8 or somthing. this goes to show how wild tempoeratures can fluctuate in a msall area. the official tempo was taken in one town, and the unofficial tempo using just as good equipment was taken in the next town, just 15 kilometers apart. Temps can varry wildly over small distances. We always got a few weeks of below zero where I grew, usually no lower than say minus 2 or minus 3 but . Funny. most people think of queesnland as never getting cold. Although some places like Brisbane , winter is the best time of year. never gets below zero as a rule, and if it does, it's warm again my mid-morning.

but go out on the downs, or Stanthorpe, ballandeine, and you're into some bone chilling country. Snow and all.

the propety I grew on was said to be the coldest gully in all the region, where a guy who once left irrigation sprinklers running early into the evening, woke to find his fence a sheet of ice like a wall. It was front page news in the local paper, ice up to 3 feet tall (as high as the fence) for a few hundered meters.

The best I can say about those situations is all weather is "local". In that the bottom of a gully can be inhospitably cold while the top of the same hill, just a few hundred meters away can be remarkably different. Choose spots that get good amounts of direct sun,facing north and there are ways to stop frost from settling by using different materials around the plants, and if it's in a housieng area, just use a greenhouse, then you're definaelty gonna be set. They use greenhouses to grow vegatable sin several feet of snow in Europe.

thanks freddie.

rob

Ok, seems like 27 days since I planted this redman x mullum madness out. I'm a little worried, the light intensity in the greenhouse has been a lot lower than I hoped, but things are moving along ok considering that.

I'm sure if they were out in full light things would be much better. I iwsh it would rain and wash the plastic sheeting of the greenhouse clean. Using a bucket of water to do it would get my neighbor calling the council on me for wasting water, so I have to just cope withthe dirty plastic for now.

Bill mentioned he feels they loose about 30% weight in winter, and I didn't know for sure, but he could be spot on by the look of things. I was discussing this with Bill, and we concluded the last time I did this was out west with much higher light intensity and much higher altitude. In fact it was on Queensland's highest mountains, so that might have made a dif. They also weren't in a greenhouse.

Anyway, still, for barely three weeks flower in a greehouse in winter, I'm happy.

I'll post a pic of some tomatoes in the same room, to give you an idea of how much the light has been cut by the plastic interwoven green fibre stuff..

I haven't been giving them any flowering nutes either, just slipped my mind, so I'l give them a clout of PK 13/14 this week and see how things go.

The celtic stone seem to have taken longer to start flowering, they're just begginging, although I set them out a week or so after the redman x. be interesting to see how the celtic stone goes, after all the redman isnt a heavy yeilder to begin with I dont think. Everest might know more about it's yeild potential than me.

If you look at the fiorst pic int he thread, you'll see the y were very small clones when they went out to flower. Too small perhaps. I think 12 inches is a min height to do this and get some decent weight.

cheers

rob

post-2-1210231197_thumb.jpg

post-2-1210231301_thumb.jpg

post-2-1210231355_thumb.jpg

post-2-1210231437_thumb.jpg

that first pic is mint rob lol .. wow thats so cool . the redman trys to grow a single cola , quite big under lights .. one big type mother cola that grows a series of budletts .. suppose could try hydro and some sort of scrog , could take a long time getting enough branches the same size at the same time .. if that makes sense lol

looking good mate

ev :thumbdown:

Yeah no way it's a substitute for lights hey. Just look at the tomatoes. I just wish I had been more patient and let them get to 30 cm or so before I put them out. No problems, it's just an experiemnt and anyone can see from the first pic in post #1 that it's going to do ok for such a tiny clone. I remeber when I was younger and did this a lot, that every inch you let them go before putting them out made a world of difference.

How many weeks did they take to finish off under lights everest? I'm thinking these might take longer outside?

thanks

rob