Police raid two businesses for drugs

Source: Police Website

Tuesday, 01 Apr 2008 11:41am

Two businesses on the NSW far north coast have today been raided by police to target alleged drug activity.

Based on information, police raided the two businesses in Cullen Street, Nimbin, just after 11am today, conducting thorough searches of the premises and people inside.

The search warrants are still ongoing, however officers have already seized drugs and cash and a number of people have been arrested.

Richmond Local Area Commander, Superintendent Bruce Lyons, said today’s operation was a testament to the NSW Police Force’s tough stance on all drugs.

“Illegal drugs continue to be a blight on our society and the supply of these drugs in the Nimbin area is an issue repeatedly raised by the local community,” Supt Lyons said.

“The people of Nimbin do not want any illicit drugs in their town or being offered to their children – notwithstanding the fact that the production, possession and supply of these drugs are crimes.

“The local community can be assured that we will do everything we can within the provisions of the law to make an impact on the availability of illegal drugs on our streets.”

Supt Lyons said the Richmond Local Area Command had been working closely with the Nimbin community to reduce drug-related crime and other criminal activity in the township.

“Today’s operation is another step in ensuring that police continue to work with the community towards improving the area,” he said.

The operation also serves as a timely warning to anyone considering possessing or supplying drugs at the upcoming celebrations for the Nimbin Mardi Grass Festival.

“Police will be at the festival once again this year and fully enforcing all drug laws, as well as targeting antisocial behaviour and other crimes,” he said.

“We are here to uphold the law and ensure the safety of local residents and the people attending the event.”

Today’s operation has comprised officers from Richmond, Coffs/Clarence and Tweed Byron Local Area Commands as well as the OSG the Dog Unit and Public Order and Riot Squad.

Police inquiries are ongoing.

Editor’s note: Footage and still images of today’s raids will be made available to the media later today.

Superintendent Bruce Lyons will brief the media at Lismore Police Station at 3pm today.

Edited by Mulcontent

I thought this quote was interesting

“We are here to uphold the law and ensure the safety of local residents and the people attending the event.”

How dangerous are stoned hippies anyway? Do they run amok with broken bottles and riot in the streets threatening passers-by?

You're in more danger from a local footy team on their end of season trip, but I don't see the cops cracking down on them.

stop the rot

NSW police force

get amonst and bust the amphetamiones and smak in the community down there

next time i get asked if i wanna buy smak down there

im gunna punch the cunt

get that smak up ya cunt

it seems to be the folks moving the hard drugs

may be paying the NSW police force

wouldnt be the 1`st time..look at the x

i cant wait for mardi grass now

even if i dont take any buds

im warrent free and ready to run amok

ina good way

bil

Police Raid Hemp Party

Lismore police swooped on the Nimbin Hemp Embassy on Wednesday in a bid to stop cannabis sales in the 'hemp bar' on site.

Expecting trouble, 28 officers were sent to Nimbin for the raid

One man has been arrested and charged with supplying 82 grams of the drug. Police estimate its street value at $1000. He was also charged with goods in custody over $900 in cash suspected of being from the sale of drugs. He was bailed to appear in Lismore Local Court on November 19.

In total, the police seized 160g of cannabis.

But the incident has sparked a war of words between the cannabis users and the police.

Detective Inspector Bryan Boultan issued a detailed press release offering the police version of events. Hemp Embassy spokesperson and Senate candidate Michael Balderstone, claims the whole thing was a political stunt.

DI Boulton said a search warrant was executed on the place around 12.25pm. The 28 officers attended 'due to the expected angst amongst a volatile minority in the village who support cannabis supply and use.'

DI Boulton said the raid was in response to community outrage about the activities at the Hemp Bar, which were also voiced by local MPs.

'The public in Nimbin were appalled at the brazen disregard for the law by the Hemp Bar in the open commercial supply of cannabis.'

The crowd remained relatively peaceful during the search, shouting out verbal abuse and chanting 'go back to Manly' - a reference to the police station where corrupt officers were recently discovered running drug syndicates.

The 60-strong crowd's anger boiled over when the man was arrested. Police claim a small crowd hurled abuse, spat at them, threw bottles, eggs and other things at the officers and police cars. Others threw themselves under the wheels of the 4WD holding the arrested man. They had to be dragged away by police before the car could leave.

Mr Balderstone said it was ironic that after months of residents complaining that police never arrive when called, suddenly they were in town in force.

'Is this Ian Causley sending in the boys in blue? Or is this the police giving the Hemp Party some free publicity because they must be as sick of busting cannabis users as anyone. Eighty percent of drug busts are for cannabis and mostly personal amounts. No wonder pills and powders are booming, they're more dangerous but you're far less likely to get busted,' Mr Balderstone said.

But DI Boulton rejected the claim it was a 'political stunt in the leadup to the election. 'This perception is untrue and absurd,' he said.

Mr Balderstone was quick to seize the political opportunity for himself

'This is precisely why we are running in the election. Police waste endless time and resources on this lost war, whilst alienating and angering ordinary people smoking a bit of pot,' he said.

http://www.echonews.com/743/index.html

Some more details. 28 cops :bangin:

Those hippies sure are dangerous.

This looks like the cops playing heavy before Mardi Grass.

I wonder if it is. Just makes me more likely to go. If I do I wont be bringing anything with me though.

So it takes 28 officers to retrieve 160grams of cannabis (5.7grams per officer). No idea what the operation costs, but one would guess it tally up to 10 to 20 thousand dollars, by the time investigations, pooling officers together and carrying out the actions. Which in return will prolly see one done for 'supply' 'n slapped with a $2000 dollar fine, after wasting the courts time 'n money.

To call it a political stunt, would be putting it lightly...

Shame on the N.S.W. Police department. :bangin:

Riot police in surprise swoop on Nimbin

Andrew MacDonald

02Apr08

POLICE have arrested eight people and seized about 4kg of cannabis in raids in the town known as the marijuana capital of Australia.

More than 50 officers from the Richmond, Coffs-Clarence and Tweed-Byron commands, as well the dog squad and the riot and public order squad from Sydney, descended on Nimbin yesterday morning with search warrants.

Sources in the town said heavily armed officers raided two local landmarks, The Hemp Embassy and the Nimbin Museum, searching and arresting several people.

Have your say in the comment field below

Cannabis, smoking implements, cash and hundreds of cookies allegedly containing marijuana were seized.

Richmond local area commander Superintendent Bruce Lyons said the decision to raid businesses within the town was a response to community concerns.

"They (the search warrants) were executed as a consequence of continued information of drug supply and drug possession in Nimbin," he said.

"Nimbin cannot survive, their business, the tourist trade cannot survive on the back of drug dealing."

Supt Lyons said he believed the heavy police presence in Nimbin yesterday was an effective way of policing the town.

"I think it's a good sign that people saw the number of police there and that the operation was able to be conducted safely and professionally," he said.

"I do not believe it to be overkill. Police have been injured in the past when we've conducted search warrants. I did not want our police to be injured this time."

While Supt Lyons would not confirm yesterday's operation was designed to send a message to drug dealers in the lead-up to Nimbin's annual celebration of the hemp plant, Mardi Grass -- which is due to be held in the first weekend of May -- he said police would continue to target illegal drug activity in the town.

"We have a strategic plan in Nimbin and that is get rid of the culture of open drug dealing in Nimbin," he said.

"We will have a police response to Mardi Grass similar to last year. That means there will be police from outside of this command, the reason being we want a safe carnival for Nimbin.

"The message is clear. If you wish to involve yourself in the supply of illicit drugs then you are going to be targeted by police."

Supt Lyons said officers yesterday were also on the lookout for drugs such as ice and ecstasy, which had recently been reported as available in the town.

"We are targeting all drugs," he said.

Police had yet to lay any charges last night.

edit forgot link:http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/04/02/9602_gold-coast-lead-story.html

O.K. not sure whats going on here. My earlier link was dated April 2 '08 but it seems to tell a different story to this (maybe another raid?). Confused? :bangin: It's now 50 cops including the riot squad. 4kgs of cannabis including those cookies which must weigh heaps. Note they are "heavily armed officers"...ffs.

Go and raid the park opposite you idiots. Theres some dangerous drugs there.

Edited by freddie

Divide and conquer. Turn the Nimbin community in on itself and they will conquer. I hope that any protesting that goes on about this is done peacefully and passively. We have to show the public we are not bad ugly people. Just every day citizens who just happen to like a smoke. :bangin: