Researchers in Perth, Western Australia, are looking for people who are frequent users of marijuana and non-drug using comparison participants to volunteer for research into the effects of marijuana use on brain function and cognition (memory and concentration).

Volunteers will have one appointment at a Neurophysiology Research Unit in Mt Claremont, for approximately 1.5 hours. Before participation in the study, a quick phone interview will assess your suitability for the study. All information you provide us will be treated as strictly confidential.

For more information, or if you would like to participate, please call 1800 648 223 (freecall) and leave your phone number and a message stating your interest in the ‘cannabis study’, and we will return your call. After completion of the appointment, you will receive a reimbursement of $25 for your time and travel.

We look forward to hearing from you!

This is a totally legitimate request for help in our research. We have been conducting this research for the past year, and have recuited over 100 people so far. We have been advertising for participants in XPress Mag in Perth if you would like to check it out, and we have had no incidents thus far. We are a research centre affilliated with the University of Western Australia and the World Health Organisation, and our only aim for this research is to improve our understanding of the effects of cannabis use on the brain. This is not spam or anything such. We just thought this may be a good forum in which me may find some interested participants to help us out with our research.

Yeah, I still think it woulda been nice to ask before posting such a request. A lot of members here are (understandably) concerned about personal security.

Could be a good piece of work though, and I would encourage you to not just have an answering machine, as you're effectively recording cannabis users names and phone numbers. A direct contact would be far superior, and you might get more takers that way. I do understand that there are time limits on such efforts, but you get what you work for, nes pas?

Good luck with it. B) Hope it comes out well for you, and that you work towards dispelling some of the many myths out there regarding cannabis users.

*Moved to the Cannabis Research forum...*

Thanks, we understand the concern many people would have about the whole leaving name and number buisness, and i have had a less than 50% turn up rate for appointments, but that is the nature of this research. Unfortunately the powers that be, above us in this research centre, have deemed the answer machine method the only way i can do this, in terms of my safety and security (i know, its sounds silly!). Anyway, i hope my replies help to answer any concerns you all have. This study is part of my PhD and im doing my best to recruit as many people as possible without making people feel uneasy about the whole thing!

I can also attatch a copy of the information sheet if that might help. Also we have published a paper previously on this topic, here is the link to it http://jop.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/20/4/471

Thank you all for your interest and help!

participant_information_sheet.doc

If you guys have any access to government, along with the brain study do a backbone study on those mongrels will ya? Ask them why they insist on bastardising normal, hard working, respectful members of society and the effects that has on our self esteem and standing in the community. Can you do that? Because we are sick to death of being treated like some sort of mentally retarded group of criminals. If you can do that, as a favour to us, then that's a fair point to start at.