Is Cannabis Paranoia real?

When reading about the biochemical effects of smoking a cone in a paper by the D.E.A.

It said that within the first 30 minutes and for about 30 minutes you will have an increased heart rate and an increased respiration rate which would then settle back to normal.

I have been told by medical health care professionals that cannabis is a Mood enhancing chemical (not narcotic)

I then wondered about whether some people might confuse the increased pulse and respiration with the flght or flight reaction, and become paranoid trying to figure why their bodies felt that way when there was no threat, with the mood enhancing effects of cannabis added, become paranoid about being paranoid getting caught in a vicious circle leading to serious mental illness in a small few.

What do you think, bullshit or not?

After reading some of the replies I relise that this post is not clear enough please read my second post in this thread.

Edited by amarkrieder

What do you think, bullshit or not?

Reasonable, peer-reviewed medical research I have seen indicates that there are a very few people who are unfortunate enough to have a genetic predisposition to schizophrenia, where cannabis use appears to be a trigger which reveals symptomatic schizophrenia. This may or (most likely) may not be related to the equally low numbers of people who have paranoid episodes while using cannabis.

Folks who have paranoid episodes after smoking cannabis are most frequently inexperienced cannabis users. After a few times using cannabis, the paranoia and pulse stuff seems to go away on its own. It's actually rather difficult to induce the racing pulse and temporary paranoia in chronic users, but it's possible. While no-one can overdose on cannabis in a way that will actually cause any physiological harm, unpleasant symptoms can be produced- if you work at it!

A person normally accustomed to smoking bongs may get a racing pulse, etc. when using cannabis in an unfamiliar way i.e. eating pot brownies. It's harder to gauge the dosage when using cannabis via the ingestion route as the drug effect onset is very slow and the effect itself is somewhat different than with smoking.

I've eaten one too many pot brownies on a couple of occasions and got the racing pulse nonsense, which resolved quickly after a bit of a lie down. I've felt much worse after having too many coffees.

Mind, I don't think that many people mistake a bit of a temporarily racing pulse with an onset of any actually serious mental illness.

I DO think Tom's quite right that the DEA wil take any opportunity and use any cooked or bent "evidence" (even if they have to cook or bend it themselves) to scare people off drug use of any sort. That's their job, you know. :sdj:

the only thing im paranoid about is getting busted... i dont get paranoid out in public.. its only the fact that the pigs can come crashing through my front door with out any warning and search my house.. and possibly throw my ass in jail with a fat cunt called bubba...

the only side effect of smoking MJ and choosing it as a life style.. is getting busted by fascist NAZI pigs who seem to get off on busting people and causing misery..

things were so much better when the legal limit was 9 plants here.. with just a $150 on the spot fine.. now.. apparently they want to chuck our asses in jail for just having one plant indoors.. to me this is just madness.. and this is what makes me paranoid...this is the policy of the Family First party.,.. which i might add.. got NO where in the SA state elections.. but then they didnt need too.. as our stoopid labour government adopted the very same policy anyway.. makes you wonder.. if the people you actually vote for stand for some thing or are just there to push a secret agenda that the common folk dont know about..

The thing about cannibis is its a powerful drug that transports the user in terms of perception into the unknown and this shifting of awareness is what causes the anxiety. Everything in us gets disconnected and then reconnected to a source of much greater power. This disconnection is felt as a killing anxiety.

People who abuse cannabis on a daliy basis do so at very high cost to themselves as its an outside force that takes you wherever it wants you to go without any way to control exactly whats going to happen to you.

It's very hard to abuse cannabis though fb. Unless you're talking about adding tobacco to it. There are methods of vapourization that allow healthy delivery of thc, without combustion. Avoiding possible abuse of smoke in the lungs.

The racing heart palpitations usually come from spin in the mix. It's rare to see someone 'green out' on straight cannabis.

With the exception of new users without tolerance.

Like Alby said, coffee causes more sweat and heart palp.

I was arguing this topic just last night with my daughter and a friend. They both swear that pot can cause anxiety attacks and paranoia.

My thought is that different strains and when the weed was harvested play a role in the perception of the high.

I remember as a teen feeling those effects so I can't discount that it does happen to some. My younger daughter swears that mine is the only pot that does not have that effect on her. But also that if she does take a hit or 2 she cannot sleep.

I have a crazy mother that can get high from a sugar pill too, so I have to conclude that you will get what you expect to get.

I think it's all in the way a person perceives the high.

sounds to me.. Freebird.. that you dont even smoke pot.. so keep ya propaganda to ya self.. hey...

the facts are MILLIONS of people smoke cannabis on a daily basis with no serious harm to them selves at all.. ive had 7 cones already this morning.. hang on.. i feel like im about to die.. nope sorry .. another false alarm...

and as cannabis being a dangerous drug.. get real mate... alcohol and tobacco far out weigh any minimal harms that cannabis may have.. even aspirin kills more people on a yearly basis over cannabis... oh .. hang on.. thats right.. cannabis hasnt killed anyone... EVER.. so to me.. it would be one of the safest recreational pass times known to man... get real.. stop listening to bullshit government propaganda.. if you smoked pot then youd know this already... get educated..

dont come here pushing ya bullshit.. cuz our members are lot smarter than that...

Yeah, im with skunk. If your talking about being taken somewhere else in terms of perception, that's LSD mate, not cannabis. Sure, your perception about things change a bit, but nothing major. Things are still, 'normal' as one would say. Im a moderate user and have only ever gotten paranoia my first high and that was in the city with a bag that contained all my valuable belongings. So, i agree, stop pushing government propaganda into these forums when most people here are able to see past their bullshit.

Now, sit back and have a bong! B)

PS - are you sure your bud insn't laced? I know when I smoked PCP laced bud I was taken somewhere else. But I was still able to keep my cool...

Edited by eexpee