Federal Election 2007

the day ill vote is the day i trust a politician... they are all liars, and all out there looking after number 1 they couldnt give a fuck about your average joe... 24 and still havent voted... might have to run for office myself soon :rolleyes:

that is oh so true...

im also too cynical about our political system to vote...my vote is to not-vote..imagine if we all gave up and didnt vote...maybe all the politicians would dissapear!!!,,,,mwuahahahaha..!!!...anyway..im too much of a conspiracy nut...i believe the elections are rigged.....and since i believe they are rigged..its illogical to vote.....it only encourages 'em!!

But is that what will happen? I don't remember the specifics, but there was discussion and possibly some research papers exploring this a few years ago - wine in particular was not taxed at the same rate by % as beer and spirits, and lite beer was taxed at or near the same rate as regular beer. The goal is consistency based on the % and quantity as DownUnderDoper says - 10 standard drinks = 10 units of tax, 1.2 = 1.2 etc. I think spirits are taxed at the high end of tax rates anyway, is anyone actually suggesting to tax them more?

Base your vote upon facts - why not talk to your local Greens representative about this and find out?

Well the way i read it was that there was a standard alcohol tax and it sounded like spirits would cost more, if I'm wrong then its a non issue.

:rolleyes:

while we're on the topic of voting, do people think that compulsory voting is a good system?

I think a few of the responses in this thread point to it not being a good system. I personally don't believe in compulsory voting because if people legitimately don't care why should they be forced to choose a party?

I'd rather we had informed voters.

:rolleyes:

while we're on the topic of voting, do people think that compulsory voting is a good system?

I think a few of the responses in this thread point to it not being a good system. I personally don't believe in compulsory voting because if people legitimately don't care why should they be forced to choose a party?

I'd rather we had informed voters.

;)

im personally against it for a couple of reasons, mainly being there is never anyone worth voting for and i also believe howard has taken a few lessons from bush so voting is almost irrelivant these days anyway :rolleyes:

i also believe that fining people for not voting is utter bullshit. i simply dont get how you can get in trouble for not doing something, but more than that it forces uneducated masses into voting and in most cases they believe all the hype and bullshit and end up voting for the person who is currently in power for fear of what might happen should they choose someone with little to no experience in running a country B) if australia didnt have the compulsary voting system, only the people interested in voting would actually do it and i think counting the 10,000 or so votes compared to the 20 million or so now would be alot easier, save stacks of money and give a much more accurate picture of what people want in this country once all the fear, sacre tatics and mud slinging are made useless...

They don't enforce compulsory voting, so what's the issue.

Many of my friends (late 20's) have never voted and have never been hassled, except by me :)

I failed to vote once because I was working away for weeks at a time and just plain forgot. The AEC sent me a letter asking why I didn't vote, I replied saying that I was too busy, end of story. If that's compulsory voting, it's a joke imo, a bit like the 'compulsory' census last year :) whatever happened to the $110/day fines that they promised me, wankers.

As for my vote, well I'm in the metal industry so my interests lay with the Unions, it's just a shame that the party that was born out of unionism, almost completely fails to represent working Australians anymore. The 'Your Rights At Work' campaign has been a huge help to federal Labors cause, but they ARE NOT going to WIPE OUT WORK CHOICES as Julia Gillard promised only last year :peace:

So yeah, maybe the Greens are my best option :)

...that or the donkey :)

im personally against it for a couple of reasons, mainly being there is never anyone worth voting for and i also believe howard has taken a few lessons from bush so voting is almost irrelivant these days anyway :peace:

i also believe that fining people for not voting is utter bullshit. i simply dont get how you can get in trouble for not doing something, but more than that it forces uneducated masses into voting and in most cases they believe all the hype and bullshit and end up voting for the person who is currently in power for fear of what might happen should they choose someone with little to no experience in running a country :) if australia didnt have the compulsary voting system, only the people interested in voting would actually do it and i think counting the 10,000 or so votes compared to the 20 million or so now would be alot easier, save stacks of money and give a much more accurate picture of what people want in this country once all the fear, sacre tatics and mud slinging are made useless...

Thats a great point about it saving a lot of money....I'd never thought of it like that. And yeah the liberal ad campaign last election made me furious because a lot of it was based on blatant lies that the uneducated masses would believe. Compulsory voting also means baseless scare tactics work well.

:)