CFL's (again)

Ah, so what you mean is you have 6 compact fluoros which are all 20-28w each, but are equivalent (in lumen but not spectral terms) to the output of a 100 - 120w incandescent. (which isn't a really good comparison anyway, but it suffices for the home use they're generally intended for)

So to give you a comparison you're used to, these 48w Nelson compacts are equivalent to a 240w incandescent. Not that anyone makes 240w incandescent lamps, (aside from halogens)..... :D

The range of 1000watts would not change no matter how many transmitters there were.
It depends a lot on the wavelength with radio transmission, FM radio for instance doesn't travel all that far without a relay before the signal breaks up yet a SW transmission of much less power will travel around the world.

I know that growing with 2 x 600w HID's is better than growing with one whether it increases the "lumens" or not, maybe that has something to do with why we usually refer to watts per square foot especially with new growers.

:D

Well I did say "broadcasting the same stuff"..Maybe I should have added: at the top end of the AM band. :D

So let's suppose the broadcast frequencies/wavelength were more or less the same....

The point then being that two radio transmitters, each 1kw output would not be as strong as one 2kw transmitter and therefore would not "reach" as far as the 2kw transmitter.

Even though the sum of the two 1kw transmitters is =2kw, the strength is much less than one 2kw transmitter at any distance.

Am I correct..Please let me know

Whew. I'm glad that's over.

Electromagnetic radiation is strange..but so is gravity.

Anyway be that as it may, in practical terms, most folk get more plant from adding more lights..even if the lights are the same power as each other.

Why is this so?

The "Physics Master" AL.B.Fuct who seems to have a better understanding of this than I do seems to have disappeared.

Not that I, for one, really blame him. But maybe he's having a short rest.. :D

in practical terms, most folk get more plant from adding more lights..even if the lights are the same power as each other.

Why is this so?

in the context of indoor lighting, light generally travels in straight lines and casts shaows ...

Could some of you here let me know what your experience/opinion is and

why these CFL's are sometimes regarded as, well. less than cool.., especially

for flowering ?

My experience was very dissapointing cause when i grow i like heaps of heavy, dense flowers and cfl's will not return that the way HID lights will ... so imo cfl's are strictly for novice hobby growers who enjoy light fluffy flowers and dont really know any better, and good luck to them i say ... :D

:D

Maybe you should start a seperate thread for radio transmitters cause i cant see wtf it has to do with cfl's

Al B was on this morning

One point that even long-experienced growers miss is that lumens don't 'add.' Lumens are a measure of light intensity, which the human eye interprets as brightness. If you have a 1500 lumen CFL and you put another 1500 lumen CFL beside it, the total luminous output in the effective coverage area near your two CFLs is- wait for it- 1500 lumens. Just because you put one CFL next to another does not make either lamp any brighter or more intense.

Your correct in saying that it will not help in anyway as far as raising # of lumens to have 2 identical lights in the exact same spot, the theory there though is impossible , if you can figure out how to make 2 lights take up the same exact space then what your saying is an important fact but because it's not possible the best you can do keeping the bulbs the same distance away high wise is to put them next to eachother, as soon as you do this then Both the Lights Throw and it's intensity over a larger area imporves there will also be cross overs in the lighting spectrum , which would show higher Lumens reaching the given point

Now I wanted to try and avoid using the radio wave example as really the waves travel and degrade totally differently, however i guess we shoudl stick on that line :D , even if radio station A was directly next to radio station B it would improve the coverage area and quality of both. only a small percentage would recive the difference in quality, however a much larger radius of people would be overall covered.

Personally i feel The better measure for growers is to use foot-candles, which is the total lumen output divided by the square footage of the area lit

Pure,

good stuff and well put.

Maybe we can put it to rest.

I never would have believed that there was so much controversy about light types.

It goes as far as really upsetting some folk.

I hope I haven't been judged as rude etc throughout this thread

Sorry to have upset "Frazzle" so much and he/she a "site mod" as well, whatever that may be, but Radio waves are also a form of radiation and most folk could possibly relate to that.

Sorry to have upset "Frazzle" so much and he/she a "site mod" as well, whatever that may be, but Radio waves are also a form of radiation and most folk could possibly relate to that.

No upset at all Mr. vertexx :D but its fine if you understand radio waves thats great , but i must say they wont help plants grow

please continue from where i interuppted

The term "Mod" in my case really just means Member On Drugs :D

:)