Grinders

hey there eejay

i use grinders and have for ages now i used to use scissors but when i switched to vapourisors and put my bong away the amount of time it took me to chop up fine enough was a pain in the ass lol

so i got a cheap dodgy one for free and that broke but was good while it lasted and have been using a metal one for awhile now and is all good

there is a great one in the OSA shop for about $28 i think and has a trich screen as well so some of the crystals fall through and after awhile you have yaself a noice stash of screen hash

alot dont really like this as they recon why take trichs out of ya weed but i have used a mates and couldnt really tell the differance and hey for someone with out bubble bags its a great way to get yaself some noice smoking hash

anyway here is a link click me CLICK ME NOW

also going from the pic it comes in 4 parts so possibly the screen can be taken out if you want

hope this helps

cheerz

ive always just used one of those parsley choppers from supermarkets and they do the job just fine. they do fuk up after awhile though and need replacing every now and then. ive been thinking of getting one of those space case things that collects all the keif at the bottom but am not sure if its worth it or not.

Thanks again for the replies.

I ended up getting two different grinders. A Chromium Crusher and a Sharpstone with a pollen press. The reason I didn't want to go for a Space Case was because of the price, and though getting these two grinders were still cheaper than a Space Case, it wasn't that far off. Oh well. I'll report back with my opinion of both grinders once they arrive, which will probably be late next week or even the week after.

Sorry for the noob question but: What is the grinder for? OK,grinding das weed, but why does it need to be ground? Is it only for if you're using a bond or vap?

Weed doesn't need to be ground, but it does make it easier to smoke, simply because more surface area is exposed to heat/a flame. It's probably most useful when using a vapouriser, but i've been using scissors to chop my weed for any method of smoking.

Edited by EeJay

Right, both grinders (Chromium Crusher and Sharpstone) have arrived and i've tested them out. Obviously I haven't been able to put them through much use yet, but so far i'm very happy with both of them.

I'll start with the Chromium Crusher...

It has a nice, textured finish which does a good job at preventing smudges, fingerprint marks, and minor scratches. Aesthetically very nice, but isn't what i'd called "black", as advertised and depicted in the pics. It's more of a deep silver/grey, and kind of looks black only at certain angles.

Many (45 to be precise) holes that are well spaced and not too large. Perfect consistency for rolling joints, but I like my weed to be finer when using a bong and even finer when using a vapouriser. This isn't really a problem though, as I can just turn it upside down and grind until I get the consistency I need.

The actual craftsmanship is fairly high. The pieces all fit together well. The diamond-shaped teeth (all 54) are strong and sharp, though some of the teeth on the top piece seem to be slightly crooked. The holes could've been "cleaned" better though, as a few of them still had little bits of flakey metal on them that I had to file down. Other than that, it is a very well crafted grinder.

My only real complaint is the strength of the magnets, they're just too weak. While I understand that it's made from steel and will be heavier than aluminium models, I still expect the magnets to at least be strong enough for me to lift the top piece and not have it separate through gravity alone. If it's ever dropped, the top will almost certainly come off.

Onto the Sharpstone...

Again, I love the textured finish, which is much the same as the Chromium. I've heard complaints that other grinders, including the Space Case, have smooth finishes which are very prone to scratches and smudges, so I appreciate this. Aesthetically, it looks pretty good, but doesn't match the Chromium. It looks a bit cheaper, and that is probably due to the aluminium look, so not much could be done about that.

It has 23 holes, most of which are circular. The ones running along the edge are elongated for whatever reason, and all holes are noticably bigger than the ones in the Chromium. Still, they're perfect for joints, and again, I can just turn it upside down for a finer consistency if needed. No problems here.

The craftmanship is impressive, slightly outdoing the Chromium. The pieces fit together perfectly, threads are smooth. The teeth (50 of them) are strong and sharp. They are also diamond-shaped, but with slightly hooked ends, which I assume make them sharper, but I haven't really noticed in my short use. All the teeth are well placed and none are crooked to my eye. All the holes were "clean", no imperfections to file down like with the Chromium.

While the magnets are nice and strong, which is the Sharpstone's main advantage over the Chromium Crusher for mine, I did have to rub them clean with soapy water prior to use. I did this because they had metal flakes on them, which I was tipped off about on another board. This could possibly be the reason why some people have complained about flakes/shavings getting into their weed.

Both grinders have teflon rings to prevent metal on metal grinding while in use, and also makes use a very smooth operation. There's nothing that I can see, feel, or hear that would indicate the teeth of either model are grinding against eachother, which i'd heard some other people complain about with their grinders. Both models are similarly priced, and certainly a lot cheaper then a Space Case (which is over 4 times more expensive). Apart from longevity, which I can't comment on yet, I really can't see any reason to justify buying a Space Case over a Sharpstone or Chromium Crusher. I find them very hard to split, as they both have slight advantages over eachother, so i'd recommend either of them to anyone looking for a cheap, metal grinder.

Edited by EeJay

Grinders are good if you're vaping because the finer you grind the herb the better.

personally I dont like the pollen catcher style grinders. what is the point of knocking the resin off your bud to smoke separately? I prefer to smoke the resin with the bud. The plastic ones with angled blades work as well as any the only problem with them is when ya get a resin buildup when you scrape off the resin you scrape off some plastic as well. I got a magnetic metal one with angled blades I use now that I'm happy with. I agree with jimbo the timber ones are good but I find if your weed isn't totally dry you tend to end up with chuncks not ground up as the spikes are round so don't deal with slightly moist herb real well. :idea:

Edited by pipeman

I just bought this off ebay:

post-10563-1191222506_thumb.jpg

All I know is that it's "metal" (probably aluminium I guess). The spikes don't hit each other when grinding. I washed it out before using it, and no metal shavings. It sort of 'shreds' the weed. Not real fine. It has a kief catcher, and the holes over the screen tend to get clogged unless you scrape them out.

I'm happy with it. I much prefer it to scissors; much quicker and less messy (I hate it when you cut a stem and half of it flies off somewhere!) :peace:

EDIT: The magnet for the top part is really strong. I can lift it by the top alone without it separating and it's an effort to pull it off! Very happy with the finish, too. It's quite heavy.

Another good thing about it is that the threads for the kief catcher base are on the outside so no trichs get caught in them.

Edited by Browniez