Penalties increased in Qld?

I heard a rumor today that Qld passed news laws with much harsher consequences for smokers/dealers..anything pot.

I know they banned buying even cones the other day, and a "swoop" today yeilded 100 grand worth of implements still being sold at tabbaconists, in Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

If it wasn't so serious it's be comical.

But please, can anyone give me reliable news about any changes to the penalties in Qld? I'm moving toward the end of the year, I'll go to NSW if that's the case.

BTW, how's the harshness in NSW these days? Obviously better than QLD, but still, is it on the way "up" or "down" at the moment in NSW?

Here's a link on the big bust on cones today..madness.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...48-3102,00.html

crazy, crazy shit.

With all that's going on in the world, they have time to bother with this crap?

rob

Thanks Rob :D that's the 2nd piece of fuctup news i've heard today (apparently my employer is attempting another push to have us pissing in cups before xmas :peace: )

and this from that news article...

"What we are serious about is cracking down on illegal drug use and, in particular, the use of amphetamines."

...yeah, because you can't use illegal drugs without a pipe or bong :thumbsup: FUCKWITS.

...don't they still hand out free needles lol

lol

lol I'm fuckin stoked about this new one :thumbsup:

...and here's one for our 'mate' Peter(Stalin)Beattie lol

I suppose it was all too good to last Rob, I'm back in the area where I grew up, with a pretty good wage doing work that I almost enjoy and so far no piss tests. Now it looks like I'm after a new job and a new state :D

:peace:

ps please excuse my whinging, my life is a fucking dream and it's gonna take a lot more than bogus laws and workplace policy before I change my evil ways. Let the wowsers waste there lives trying to influence ours, one day they might realize there was actually fun to be had in this life that they've wasted.

1 more before bed... lol

Qld police have been lax on bong laws, and are really only coming into line with what they are doing in NSW, ie not allowing shops to display them. Bringabong in Nimbin was raided a couple years ago and they took all the bongs, but left the pipes. Makes no sense I know but thats the way it is.

The report I saw on the news was that the tougher laws mainly related to synthetic drugs. But it wouldn't surprise me if pot smokers were rounded in with all the other drug users. :thumbsup:

New laws have nothing to do with mj. They are hugely increased ecstasy penalties. Up to 20 yrs jail (from5) I think they said for possession or dealing. These laws will come in later in the year.

They did raid a few bong shops last week in QLD but that was about the recent bong/ ice pipe laws.

Just found this from www.brisbanetimes.com.au

Drug laws to be strengthened: Beattie

July 16, 2007 - 4:35PM

Queensland's drug laws will be strengthened this year with maximum jail terms for some offences to quadruple and more drugs to be included in legislation, Premier Peter Beattie says.

Mr Beattie said the Drugs Misuse Act would be modified to increase maximum penalties for possession, supply and trafficking offences.

In addition, drugs which were not outlined in the legislation but had a similar structure and pharmacological effect would now also attract harsher penalties.

Mr Beattie said penalties for the unlawful possession, supply and trafficking of ecstasy and a similar drug known as death would increase from 20 to 25 years.

The maximum penalty for unlawful possession, supply and trafficking of steroids, Valium, Serapax, Rohypnol and ephedrine will increase from five years to 20 years.

And new offences will be created for the supply and production of substances such as pseudoephedrine and equipment used in the production of dangerous drugs, such as pill presses.

Attorney-General Kerry Shine said the decision had been made on advice from an expert working group asked to review drug legislation.

He said the production of new drugs and instances of date rape had been considerations of the group.

Ahh well, goes to show what bright sparks they really are. Get harsher on recreational drugs, but don't mention anything about supporting any drug rehab projects or support groups. That'll fix the problem aye Pete...

But then again, just tryin' to make emselves look good while not addressin' real issues in Queensland. Hang in there Pete, next election is due in the first quarter of 08...

Attorney-General Kerry Shine said the decision had been made on advice from an expert working group asked to review drug legislation.

It'd be nice to learn who the "expert working group" is. All sounds a bit shady to me. QPS used to sumbit proposals to Qld parliament 'n get signed off by them, from what i've heard in the past...

It'll be interestin' to see how MJ fares in all of this... :thumbsup:

EDIT: After havin' a bit of a think about it. Getting tougher on drugs is a backward step for Qld in more ways than one...

If my way of thinking is correct, the flow on effect will push up the street value of drugs, because the risk has increased. So to me, it's like giving the dealers a pay rise. Not only that, it'll tempt more police officers to become corrupt, the temptation has more of a shine to it. Unless their prepared to double the penalties for a corrupt officer, it'll only be a breeding ground for corruption. That's only a couple of things that come to mind. No doubt, there's more negatives to harsher drug laws in Qld.

Look at the big picture for a change Mr Beattie 'n stop tryin' to win the votes of the uneducated conformists of this topic...