Garrett pressured to take drug test

Yeah associating hard drugs with pot is stupid, that's for sure, but I feel people are bein a bit harsh on Peter Garret because he's trying to settle into politics.

I mean at the height of their fame Minight oil made a lot of noie about Nuclear disarm issues, and I was one ofthe many that supported them both in votes and handing out literature. But long before that, when they were a very grass roots band, they were one of the last bands protesting the plight of Australoians without decent jobs, the cost of living, the unfair drug laws. Check out old albumns like head injuries and koala crossing, very strong issues. WE had dole ques that used to strecth out of the door of social security offices and snake up the street every morning, and midnight oil attacked the conservatives of their time.

That he's wise enough to be moderate in the public eye is pure sense. What's the old saying? "Wise and seprants and gentle as doves". I think he's been pro-active for Australian peole for a long time now, and reckon we can expect great things from him, we just need to win the election forst.

If he cpmes out today with drug law reform (don't know thathe ever will..), "ban the bomb", don't trust USa all tommororw, it's be the death nell of this Lbor Party's chances.

Give em time, le tthem win before expecting serious hard lines. And even their most compromised stands will still be easier to live with than the Lberal's polcies.

I really think we'll see great things from Peter Garrett. Hell maybe I'm naive, but the time, effort and intensity he's put into social issues since I was about 16 years old (about 30 years now), I find it hard to believe he's going to roll over and give up on it all now, now he's in a place to do something. Just how much he can change will depend on how popular he becomes in the public, and in the party. But "sell out", I just can't imagine it. Compromise, withthereality of life confronting him, seeing hard line issues aren't

so cut and dried might give him a lot to think about, but it's very early days inhis political carreer.

cheers

rob

Yea Robbie im afraid i take the complete oposite view on the 'turncoat' garrett .... only thing i ever really knew bout Garett was he was the 'Oils frontman, so i did a wikapedia on him and hes a smart cookie alright, but like others have said he sold out ... big time!

so many of his previous beleifs, anyone who can just turn his back on all those high ideals he once promoted is a very shallow person, someone who would sell you down the river for a few peices of silver

look at garrett's boss Rudd, he's dead against cannabis .... in the SAME class as Howard !!! can you beleive that !? <_< ..

so when Rudd says 'Jump Peter '...

How high, sir ... replies garrett

:rolleyes:

Yea Robbie im afraid i take the complete oposite view on the 'turncoat' garrett .... only thing i ever really knew bout Garett was he was the 'Oils frontman, so i did a wikapedia on him and hes a smart cookie alright, but like others have said he sold out ... big time!

so many of his previous beleifs, anyone who can just turn his back on all those high ideals he once promoted is a very shallow person, someone who would sell you down the river for a few peices of silver

look at garrett's boss Rudd, he's dead against cannabis .... in the SAME class as Howard !!! can you beleive that !? <_< ..

so when Rudd says 'Jump Peter '...

How high, sir ... replies garrett

I think you are wrong. Think about it, if he was really concerned only with himself he would continue to make music. That is by far the most profitable option for him. And just because someone changes their views doesn't mean they've sold out, maybe it means with age and experience he's changed his perspective. If we are not allowed to change our minds as we get older, what is the benefit of experience? lol

What !! pipes how could I be wrong ? LMAO .......... yea im quite often wrong pipes but there's not been one person who has been picked up by a major political party who hasnt towed the party line ... so far

"Garrett has modified many of his earlier radical views and says he is now a "team player" in the Labor Party. He now supports the U.S.-Australia alliance, and no longer opposes the Joint U.S-Australian Defence Facility at Pine Gap.

He says he will argue for environmental causes inside the Labor Party, but will observe the decisions of the ALP caucus, including accepting any decision to change Labor's "no new uranium mines" policy.

Garrett's less radical public statements drew criticism from both journalists and Midnight Oil fans, who contrasted Garrett's former pronouncements on environmental and political issues while singer with the band before joing the Australian Labor Party - a notion he has since denounced. "

its not about money pipes , some people place power way above money, in fact power is the natural progression after monetary goals are satisfied .

Think about it, Peter Garret has obviously been chipping away at it for years to get his arse in to politics and a man like that is not doing it for the money. Don’t know how rich he'd be being an Australian artist, but I think it’s pretty safe to say he’s doing all right.

So he finally gets his chance and his got two choices, join the greens where he can openly express his views and go no where or join the labor party where he has to act like a stuck up conservative, but actually has a chance in hell to do anything. He must know what has doing to because the chance in hell happened when Rudd made him a frontbencher <_<

Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about and he just really needs the money, gambling problem or something :rolleyes:

Edited by jabez

have you actually heard the new silverchair album pretty dam good in my book and not to mention the disasotives album that was kick ass. give the dude the props he deserves he is getting out there and doing his bit to improve the quality and quantity or aussie music

agreed, its a kick ass album. i hope they do well in america

I have to admit to being a Peter Garrett fan, in the true sense of the word. I bought all their albumnd as they were relased, (man they were just 3 or 4 buxfor an LP then :rolleyes:), and first time I saw them perform was at the Qld QUT in George st. Less than a thousand people, much less, and I went to the concert striaght from work wearing greasy overalls and steal cap boots <_<. They blew me away straight away, and I've been inspired by their very Australiana lyrics to their music for years.

It was easy to be an angry young man with popularity to support your views, and he made a lot of points he felt strongly about.

But you can't run a clun like that. A club, political or otherwise needs people to work together.

I mean P Garrett can stick to unacheivable high principles, and go to his grave feeling good about himself, or he can particpate. When he's in the club now, they have to win votes, and so one meber of the front bench will be concerned if they don't allow some trees to be logged, they'll loose a key seat to the election, which might aggrevate the hell out of P Garett, who would, if he could, never see another tree meet an early death. But to keep the seat, which will keep them in power (theoretically), he has to swallow his hatred for killing trees, sign an aggreement that might make him get an ulcer, but secures the election seat and so keeps jim in a position where he can do what he can for the environment,, The alternative may be far worse. Say he stands his ground, they loose the voters in tiber country, and another poarty gets in that wants not only to cut twice a smany trees down, but build a uranium gump nxt to a school..

Sorry to be so obvious, but that's about all thwre is to it. Consessions have to be made when you no longer represent yourself, and you are representing a country, as a network.

And I share the same fears of Rudd's anti-drug policies, but I also think that after 11 years of super conservative politics, (IMO) cencorship of news to make us pro-american, I think Rudd needs to present himself as someone tht has no major upheavals to our status quo. Maybe he's truly this way, and mmaybe he's even more conservative that Hoard 9although I say that just for arguemtn sake), but in the end, if he doesn't keep a steady hand at the moment, make everyone feel comfortable that a ahcnge of gov will see no great changes , he wont get in.

I'm hopeing he gets in, and the plethora of varrious people in the labor party bring about change, in spite of what Kevin Rudd's personal views are on matters.

But that's just how I see it, and what I'm hopeing for.

No matter what thgh, I sincnerely do want to see what Kevin Rudd can do for Australia. I despise John Hpward and would love to see him gone. I love the lbor party and want them back. But apart from simple party politics loyalty, I do really think Rudd's going to be a significant leader. If only he can get the job.

cheers

rob

ps. even if Rudd hates drugs, I would rather debate any matter with Rudd than Howard. Rudd takes alot on from his advisors, whereas Howard is a "my way or the hiway" arrogance. I think if Rudd's advisors led himto believe drug law reofrm was in the national interest, he'd be more inclined to follow logic than Howard. I could be wrong, but it's how it seems so far. Might be just because he's tryngto win the election he takes on so much advice too.

Also, Howard's got deadly support by his party. No contest for leadership will work in that fold. Labor are far more likely to contest leadership, and I think this has the potential to not make the job such a "personal" thing for labor leaders. They have to always consider what will happen if they upset the caucus too much.

Anyway, I just hope he wins, I never wanted J. Howard, and his ld age, record years as leader, unmatched power in upper and lower houses has made him the most arrogant and unaccounatble person we've has in my memory. If he were to win another term, I dread to think what could happen. The power that would go to the mind of an ageing man, a man who already salivitates with power...

dangerous thought, him for another 3 years. Might have dolies in concntrationcamps. Just joking. Well..kinda.

rob