1000 watt globe just blew up!

Nice result there, SukonmiSkunk, I have no complaints about the Son-t globe either.

And I don't basically disagree with what you say about globe lifespans, or their safety record when used properly.

However, while the probability of a globe going feral might be very small, the possible consequences if it does happen are certainly not. You only need one feral globe in a wood growbox and you will be standing on the road with only the clothes you wear, watching the fire brigade at work on the pile of steaming ashes that was your house just 30 minutes before. And that is if you are lucky, it could be a lot worse. It nearly happened to me once. Very scary.

I run a large safety margin with globes. Especially given it only costs me 50c a week. Like I said, cheap insurance.

Of course, none of this is a problem if your growbox is non-flammable.

Cheers