1000 watt globe just blew up!

hi all anyone ever had a 1000 watt metal halide bulb explode! i mean literally like a bomb! the top of the globe swelled like a pregnant belly and then it expoloded! and the inside tube did too? never had it happen before. it was an old globe could that be it? or someother reason? i did foliar spray mavrik 2hours before lights on. the only thing i can think of is that it may have had some spray on it. ill have to take a photo of the globe and post it, as its impressive! sunmaster btw - mh small jacket

Had that happen to me with a 250w MH, just after I sprayed the plant with fert solution. I thought I did it carefully, the light was off, and I waited for 15 minutes with the doors open for the mist to dissipate before turning it on. But several minutes later than thing exploded. Hot glass and even hotter metal went everywhere. The rod in the centre of the globe that actually emits the light was glowing bright red, like iron when it comes out of the coals. Lucky I was there when it happened, so no real damage, but also lucky I was not near the light.

Scary, but good learning experience. So my rules for globes are:

1. Don't get any water on the globes. Don't spray plants, even when the light is off. If you must spray, then either completely cover the (cold) globe before you start with a soft clean cotton cloth, or take the globe out and store it safely while you spray. Then vent the growing space very well for at least 30 minutes, preferably longer, before replacing globe.

2. Keep globes very clean. Use a soft clean cotton cloth once every week ot two. Also closely inspect the globe while you are cleaning it. Never touch the glass part of the globe with bare skin. Hold the globe by the base, or with the cotton cloth.

3. Replace globes about 65-70% of the way through their expected lifespan. Their ouput falls a lot in the second half of their life so you should do this anyway. I do it once a year normally.

4. Always wear dark safety glasses when working near a warm or lit globe.

I also discovered after a bit of reading that MH globes are far more likely to explode than HPS. However, they are still pretty safe, just follow the four rules above.

mmm always raise your light before you spray...

even the oil from a finger print can explode globes too...

nasty way to learn...

but now ya know.. always keep the globes clean... Use a clean T-shirt when you screw them in.. and always make sure they are clean...

youre lucky it didnt catch fire..we would have seen ya on the news...

Never touch the glass part of the globe with bare skin. Hold the globe by the base, or with the cotton cloth.

this is most important...i've replaced many lights because of this

they are accidents but it happens...i worked as an apprentice on a mine so i had to learn the hard way several times :peace:

Edited by Bundy

:peace: :peace:

Thats a little scary for someone who is still pondering whether to use one of these lights , hey I like fire , i just don't wanna burn the house down tho. Well , there are always risks. Like that poor fella in Sydney not long ago that was electrocuted by his setup. Bummer man. :peace:

But anyway , I'm not really all that worried of the risks , I'm pretty careful (mostly).

I just wanted to ask anyones opinion on whether using a globe that has been boxed for a long while and moved around here and there (cars etc.) , would that globe still be safe to use? (200w MH) Thx if U could say. :yahoo:

oh , Its not prfectly packed either so It would have shifted here and there just slightly.

Oops , sorry Keepleft , I hope you don't mind me askin that on your thread. No worries. :yahoo:

:blink:

O.k. Thats all

Bye. :peace:

yes it should be alrite...i've seen lights that have been lost in a toolbox with grinders, crowbars, cables and a variety of other things pulled out, packing all torn and crumpled, and work just fine

having said that... i take credit, not responsibilty :peace:

cheers,

bundy :peace: :yahoo:

Edited by Bundy

You're a hard man, pipeman. :peace: There must be a safer way!

But seriously:

Apart from taking care of your light, the main way to prevent fire is to make sure at least the bottom half of your growing chamber non-flammable. Then even if the light goes bang and red hot shit falls everywhere there is little possibility of serious fires.

If your growing chamber is made from flammable materials the trick is to cover at least the bottom half with a combination of off-white ColourBond metal panels for the large flat areas, and aluminium angle for corners. Both materials are cheap (less than $100 total for an average chamber), very durable, and readily available. Panels can be pre-cut to size by the supplier, just take your measurements carefully.

Get the panels cut slightly smaller than the surface they will be covering. A 5mm gap all the way round is usually enough. This gap allows for errors and it will be covered up when the angle goes on.

Panels and angle are glued on using standard roofing/gutter silicone.

Make sure all surfaces where silicone will be applied are clean and dry.

Make sure panels fit before applying silicone glue.

Make sure there is a good spread of silicone bead across the entire back of the panel. A simple grid pattern with about 50mm spacing works well.

Press panel down firmly and evenly across its surface when first gluing in.

Flat ColourBond panels usually come with a clear thin plastic film protecting the white surface. Do not remove it yet.

Any holes for ventilation, etc, should be cut in the panels now.

The panels will need to be supported for 24 hours while the silicone sets.

The easiest way is to simply tilt the chamber over onto its back, and then open the door/s fully and prop them securely. Now glue the back panel and door panel/s in. Wait 24 hours.

Close doors and roll the chamber onto one side, open doors and do that side panel. Wait 24 hours.

Then roll onto the other side and do that side panel. Wait 24 hours.

Stand cupboard up. Glue in floor panel. Wait 24 hours.

Now peel all the protective plastic film from the ColourBond panels.

Lastly glue the angles to the corners.

Now there should not be any exposed flammable surfaces in at least the bottom half of your chamber.

This method involves a bit of planning and work, but it only has to be done once, and is virtually guaranteed to prevent fires from exploding globes.