1000 watt globe just blew up!

i dont think anyone should be alarmed by this! i've been using globes for 15 years. 1100's, 1000's, 600's, 400's, retro's, HPS, MH, everything. NEVER had anything like this happen. it is definitely a RARE event.

moreover, I dont see it being a fire risk, because the outer globe erupted on the TOP where it expanded, but the inner core didnt break off, just crack open and went out. ill have to post a pic tomorrow when i get a chance. its a sight to be seen!

it was a very old sunmaster 1000watt mh globe (i would say almost 6 to 8 years! and it still pumped out great yields - so go figure with the theory that they dont last that long!).

i am quite sure it would have been related to the foliar spraying. i didnt touch the globe physically. BUT i would have thought any water that landed on the globe would evaporate when the globe warms up? anyway i dont think i sprayed it but ill make sure i NEVER get anywater near em again. ive sprayed for years though, but usually lift the lights

ive had many globes just go out after using for many years. they just go out - dont explode!. the outside of the glass on this bulb looked like a balloon that was over inflated. swollen

thats bloody hot there KL maby try a fan to move the hot air as far away as fast as possiable.

Best get the ballast checked just incase doesnt cost much and some places do it for nothing. Ill take note and start raising my globes next foliar spray.

Nothing beats a new globe for fast veg times might be a blessing .

yeah, fuck thats definately a strange one.. ive never seen that either... I ve seen them crack when the spray touches them, but thats when the light is on.. being already hot...I have heard people say they explode...but ive only seen them shatter .. like normal.. not like this.. its almost like its a faulty globe.. just dont know.. its an Xfile....

were you using nutrients in the foliar spray?? would have left a residue when the water evapourated?? maybe???

hi ss the foliar spray was mavrik with water (pesticide).

the globe looks like it became pregnant and then exploded! amazing! the glass actually expanded. i wasnt there to see it, just the end result.

i almost think that the internal arc tube may have cracked first - which led to extreme heat / gas expanding the outer tube?

the globe was ollllldddd. so its done its time.

8 years?

HID globes only have a limited lifespan (number of hours on), and their output (in lumens) starts dropping seriously about 2/3 of the way through that lifespan. MH usually has a shorter lifespan than HPS.

I use a 400w HPS, and the globe is running for a total of 4000-4500 hours a year. I replace the globe every two years, at a cost of about $50.

There is a noticeable increase in light levels when I put the new globe in. (I carefully label and keep old globes as backups.)

Fifty bucks every two years for better safety and lighting efficiency is a pretty cheap investment in my books.

Just routine maintenance for optimal performance and safety.

Oh, and amazing photos of the globe, Keepleft, I have never seen that before.

Cheers

Edited by EntyMan

my 600watt sunmasters have a life span of 24000 hours.. now the life span doesnt mean it will stop when it reaches that hour... the life span relates to the luminal out put...the globes take about 500-1000 hours to reach its peak luminal output and and slowly start dropping intesity over the next 20000 hours or so... until it reaches its life span, which is reletive to the luminal output of the globe when it was first ignighted...

so you should get almost 5 years of solid growing before that globe has dimished enough to warrent changing the globe... you could probably get a few more grows out of your globes...

with that said.. and these pics back up what you say.. $50 is a small price to pay to ensure the safety and quality of your crop.. isnt it...

my 400 is a son-t, and its usually only ever used for clones and seedlings... how ever I decided to flower a mum a few grows back and it turned out fantasic.. so ive had a few more since here a pick from the last grow.... I did a diary on the grow...

http://www.bubblebag.com/phpBB2/files/thumbs/t_whwardrobe60daysbudpic8_174.jpg

after seeing these pics of keeplefts... I think I might change the globe...lol