Pyschoactive Cacti

is it complicated to prepare san pedro for consumption?

My prefered method is to chop and dice into 1cm cubes then freeze and thaw twice, this freezing causes the tough cell walls to rupture as the water inside expands when it turns to ice. This inturn frees up the alkaloids locked n the cells and better allows them to dissolve into the liquid you will consume.

After freezing, bring a LARGE pot to the boil and add the cactus and some citric or tarteric acid (found in the cake section of safeway/woolies) this acid converts the alkaloids to their salt form which dissolve easier than freebase alkaloids.

Boil the cactus for four or five hours stirring occasionally and adding water as needed, DO NOT ALLOW TO DRY OUT AND BURN!!!.

After four or five hours you can strain off all the solids using an old T shirt or some other cloth, just squeeze out all the juice yu can. return the liquid to the boil and carefully allow most of the water to boil off untill the liquid starts to become slightly thick, Allow the liquid to cool and it's ready to consume. (you can use a double boiler one pot sitting in another pot of boiling water to reduce to a thick goo if desired. this thick goo can be watered down when needed or dried and swallowed as small pellets)

Cactus juice is the most horrid tasting shit in the universe, it's worse than anything you can imagine!

One method that we have found is too chew up a few red starburst lollies http://static.flickr.com/1/278006_4bc8fe9df9_t.jpg and drink the cactus juice thru a mouthful of half chewed lollies then chew the lollies like mad.

If you use a double boiler to reduce the juice to a thick goo you can use plain flower to coat small pellets of the very sticky goo and mould it into "PILLS" the flour is essential to stop the goo sticking to everything like superglue. You can then allow the "pillls" to dry out for easy and tasteless consumption.

I hope that helps.

Well I prepared my cactus by first freezing, dicing, blending (with a electric cake mixer because my blender is broken) and then finally slowly simmering with water (started with about 2L) and got down to 300mL. Turns out it was the wrong type of cactus.

I got no effects at all, apart from having unusually runny poop for the following 3-4 days and wasting about 6 hours of my time preparing it.

This was my second attempt at San Pedro. The first time I truly believe I had the right type of cactus but I simply didn't have enough of it and got no effects (but no runny poop either).

So I know what to try next at least... MORE SAN PEDRO!

Updates pending.

My experiances with san pedro tell me that you really need between 10 - 12 inches per person who is to consume it... chop it into small bits, and as was mentioned... keep on boiling it in some acidic water adding more water as required.... strain, then boil down to around 2 glasses worth... I find squeezing a bit of lemon juice or lime juice in there really helps its palletability.. cordial works too to mellow the taste...

Drink both cups (2 cups per person) maybe 15 minutes apart.. i usually do both at once - but im kind of used to the taste...

I've had some very very intense experiances with san pedro... Its very very nice, everything seems a bit surreal or otherworldly. people shimmer in light..

Overall a very plesant experiance. I dont recommend driving or operating machinery... lol

Best of luck with it...

When you have a breakthrough - Post up your thoughts... They always make for an interesting read.

Cheers.

Alex.

hey fellas,

I have experimented with this san pedro cactus, in a fairly decent quanitity, my methods where to skin the sucker and remove thorns, then i used the dark green section of the cactus (told by friend) and diced it up into small chunks, then blended then cooked, i cooked it for a good 8 hours but i was too ancy, and probably didnt use enough heat, it didnt even turn to goo but either way i strained it, i couldnt handle the taste so i froze it overnight in a bag, and then the next day mashed it up into ice and put it in a glass of orange juice (which was alot better), the main effects it had were a similar but not as strong stricknin feeling in my stomach and then i feel real go happy buzzy for a good 4-5 hours (Went to the pub too), it definately wasnt a placebo effect but wasnt overwhelming but next time i want to try proper alkaloid extraction, as i can get more of the same that i used. which was about 4" wide and about 4 foot long