Students must sing anthem

I think that is because the US anthem tells a story of victory and battle, and triumph, the best ours gets, is we find out we are young, got some good dirt and some nice views ::whistle::

Oh, say can you see, by the dawn's early light,

What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?

Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,

O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?

And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,

Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.

O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

I don't know why? I can't really explain it, but I get goose bumbs when I hear this verse sung with any sort of passion? And no I am not American :thumbsup:

::applause:: flame away ::thumbsup::

this was bout a battle where the british were attacking a fort from the sea and had many battleship fireing there dodgy rockects at it by the truck load they were lucky to hit any thing with em those days but they were cheaper and quicker to fire off with a longer range than the cannon of the day.

just a little bit of trivia.

it's all good for australians to sing their national anthem, nobody will say otherwise i'm sure...

but the people that, well, the national anthem is just another song shouldn't be forced to sing it.

that's just a dictatorship, instead of "SING IT OR ILL SHOOT YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS" it's "sing it or you're bad"

i remember my primary school the "special" class would always fuck around during the national anthem and at one point the teachers were like, "if they see anybody not singing the national anthem they will get a lunchtime detention"...well fuck, lucky the mother fuckin words were plastered on the side of the hall otherwise i would've been fucked.

i dunno, i'm toasted

Gee Mulloway, I thought you could recall singing "God save the KING! Just jokin of course. i remember the old "God save the Queen" theme song too, and saluting the flag, marching into school 2 by 2 .. marching practice between beltings for not knowing 7 times 8 or something....

I'm with the insurgent above..it's all brainwashing, and I think the national anthem stinks! Basically I think all national anthems stink though. I mean look at the yank's, fancy every time they open their mouth to sing their anthem to be proud of their heritage..they sing about a full sclae bloody war!! No wonder they grow up thinking no president is worth his salt unless they fire a few misiles off at some -one or other. It has to have an effect.

Funny though that when they were rattling on about choosing a new anthem (when they went with the present drivel) , they settled on a christian hymn, and yet very few even know where their song comes from because it's been changed a few times over the years by thosde who were offended by the christian content.

A pretty resentful move is on to discredit the fact it was a christian song originally, due to the original papers are of course not around. However old church hymn books carry the full verses, and logic itself urges belief.

The bloke who wrote it after all was a bloke named Dodds, who in 1855 was boots and all in the Presbyterian church in Sydney (Scot's church ?). Anyway you have to just wonder if in 1855, a bloke who spent his whole spare time in the church leading chors, would or would not have written the verse:-

With Christ our head and cornerstone, we’ll build our nations might

Whose way and truth and light alone, can guide our path aright

Our lives, a sacrifice of love, reflect our Master’s care

With faces turned to heaven above, Advance Australia Fair

In joyful strains then let us sing, Advance Australia Fair

Anyway, on with the unending call of trivia searching..

rob