Students must sing anthem

By Linda Silmalis

January 22, 2006

SCHOOLS across the state will be forced to play the Australian anthem before class under a radical NSW Government plan to create respect in the community.

Teachers at primary schools will be required to introduce "Australian values" studies from the beginning of this school year while the Three Rs will be expanded to five to include the topics of Respect and Responsibility.

The move marks the first stage of plans to foster respect of authority which will be rolled out over the next few months.

The changes cover all the major portfolios, including police, transport and housing.

It will include a law enforcement package with new laws to make it easier for police to crack down on anti-social behaviour including riots.

Fines and penalties for a range of offences such as damaging public property, including transport and housing, will also be reviewed.

Advertisement:

Unveiling the details exclusively to The Sunday Telegraph, NSW Premier Morris Iemma said the recent Cronulla riots demonstrated the need to build respect for authority within the community. "I believe what happened at Cronulla, Maroubra and Brighton-Le-Sands had its roots in a fundamental lack of respect for authority developed at an early age," he said.

"We have a massive police response in place and police will continue to work to arrest the offenders involved in the riot and revenge attacks.

"We must now turn to the root causes and develop the solutions to ensure there is no repeat in the future."

Mr Iemma said the plan's education component would involve every school being issued with a CD recording of the national anthem.

Schools will also be given palm cards containing both verses of Advance Australia Fair to help students learn the words. Students from Kindergarten to Year 6 would also be taught units which would examine what it meant to be Australian.

These units would include issues such as family values, community harmony, national heritage, values and identity, cultural differences and significant historical events.

Mr Iemma said the requirement to play the national anthem would apply to government and non-government schools.

"The national anthem is about community spirit, being a proud Australian and recognising our shared national identity," he said.

"From the beginning of this school year, all government and non-government schools will be expected to play Advance Australia Fair at their regular assemblies.

"We want each and every student to learn about this important part of our cultural heritage."

Mr Iemma said he also wanted schools to teach students that they not only had rights as an Australian citizen but also responsibilities.

"It needs to be taught carefully and methodically in the home, in the community and in our schools," he said.

Mr Iemma hinted further changes to the curriculum were also being examined.

In the transport portfolio, Mr Iemma said there would be a crackdown on graffiti.

http://www.news.com.au/nation/?from=ninews_leftnav

Teachers at primary schools will be required to introduce "Australian values" studies

Will that be from the "Australian Values" handbook?

You know the one everyone in Australia voted on and had a hand in putting together lol

Maybe it should read :

Teachers at primary schools will be required to introduce "NSW Government" policies

Will that be from the "Australian Values" handbook?

You know the one everyone in Australia voted on and had a hand in putting together lol

Maybe it should read :

Teachers at primary schools will be required to introduce "NSW Government" policies

I can see some private religious schools having a kick and scream about having to do it but in general I think it will do more good than harm.

Edited by Buddy

The move marks the first stage of plans to foster respect of authority which will be rolled out over the next few months.

The changes cover all the major portfolios, including police, transport and housing.

It will include a law enforcement package with new laws to make it easier for police to crack down on anti-social behaviour including riots.

is it just me or does that sound like they intend on brain washing the youth of australia into thinking they must do everything a police officer says otherwise it could be classed as anti-social behaviour and they'll be arrested lol ?

In primary school, every friday morning we had to go to assembly and sing our school song + the national anthem and to be honest, it completely turned me off the national anthem...I didnt like singing or hearing it when i was a kid and feel the same now, i guess its just not a catchy enough tune or something :)

Waltsing Matilda, waltsing matilda,....once a jolly swagman ect ect

Well at least we dont have to put up with that crap :thumbdown

Just imagine our athletes singing that at an Olympic or Commonwealth games gig,

the whole world would think we're a country full of retarded pansies lol