Vapir One (v2.0) review :)

Just a quick update for anyone who cares. I mentioned that I taped up the lining around the tray door to the Vapir. Well, as it turns out, there appears to be A LOT of leakage with this unit, hence I pulled out the masking tape again and began taping up all the areas where I could feel air escaping. Geez, after taping every possible crack and crevice, this thing looks like shit but it works MUCH better!

Because of all the cracks and crevices where air was escaping I used to smell the vapor as the bag was filling up, but I must've done a pretty good job of sealing the gaps because I don't smell that now, nor do I visibly see any vapor leakage anymore. Also, I guess because so much air was escaping, the bag wouldn't really fill up more than half-way on medium fan settings. Well, now it fills up nearly all the way on medium. I think one of the biggest problems with the unit, if anything, has to be the vapor leakage. It explains why a lot of people report the taste of the vapor being very diluted. It will taste diluted if a lot of the vapor is escaping from the bag, therefore reducing the concentration.

The only problem I have now is the bag filling up too fast on high fan settings.

Anyway, if you have this unit, my advice would be to tape up the cracks and crevices with masking tape or the equivalent.

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but how are you meant to tape up the tray door, without doing it each and every time you eject it?

I've also smelled greatly the vapour leakage, but WAS fairly happy with the unit regardless (for $200 odd bucks, who's complaining?).

Unfortunately mine broke after 2 wks use :rolleyes: luckily though it's got a warranty, so that's all happening now.

Btw, ColdFrixion, i noticed there was a fair bit of vapour coming from tray door, but found that you can slightly move the tray up or down in it's place (no doubt why it leaks), one way (can't remember if it's up or down :devilred: 2 baked!) lets less vapour out.

Might be worth a try! lol

Also, to anyone whose had their vape for a while and hasn't cleaned it yet, i HIGHly suggest you do.

Scraping the stuff off the metal container and smoking was fucking GREAT!! :thumbsup

Definately worth a go! lol

Btw, thanks for the adbvice, ColdFrixion.

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but how are you meant to tape up the tray door, without doing it each and every time you eject it?

Not a dumb question at all. That's the exact question I asked myself when I was brainstorming ideas. I would've probably *tried* to tape it up every time if I thought I could get away with it, but as you know it wouldn't work very effectively because it's simply too time consuming and bothersome that way.

What I ended up doing was not only taping the door a bit but the tray itself as well:

http://myweb.cebridge.net/jacyscott/pics/tray.jpg

The logic in taping the tray itself was based on the idea that if I thicken up the edges of the door with a pliable material, it might be sufficient to stop the leakage. Now, mind you, the tray is somewhat more resistant to locking in place for obvious reasons; there's more bulk around the edge of the tray, thereby prohibiting more free movement than previously.

Here's a pic of the Vapir in its current state:

http://myweb.cebridge.net/jacyscott/pics/front.jpg

Quite an ugly contraption now, isn't it? Hey, it's the only color masking tape I had, Ok? Hell, I don't care what it looks like. So long as there's no leakage and it does what it's supposed to do more effectively, I could care less if it looks like a smoldering turd. That your smoking buddies will laugh and mock your newly redesigned unit should be of no consequence to you, however.

Let us round out this cavalcade of ugliness with a pic of the back:

http://myweb.cebridge.net/jacyscott/pics/back.jpg

Wherever you see tape, there was leakage.

Oh, incidentally, I can safely report that this machine can also handle a fall, which I discovered while attempting to take the above picture initially.

Note: One should probably never attempt to balance their Vapir on the edge of a table while holding a digital camera. The thing still works, but then it did fall on carpet from a height of about 3 1/2 feet, so it's not exactly as though it took a hard fall or anything.

Unfortunately mine broke after 2 wks use  :rolleyes: luckily though it's got a warranty, so that's all happening now.

What happened to it? Fan break or something?

Btw, ColdFrixion, i noticed there was a fair bit of vapour coming from tray door, but found that you can slightly move the tray up or down in it's place (no doubt why it leaks), one way (can't remember if it's up or down  lol 2 baked!) lets less vapour out.

Might be worth a try!  :devilred:

Yeah, I fiddled with that a bit but finally concluded that there was no satisfactory position that would seal it completely, because you've got the leakage from the sides of the tray door to contend with.

Edited by ColdFrixion

It broke, i'm not sure why. I think it might've been a bad extension cord (go vaping on the verandah :devilred: ) but i don't know. The unit was sparking inside and shit and went totally haywire. Anyway, shall be rectified in a few days.

I think i will definately have a go at the tray door.

I guess Zero Leakage is probably another thing your paying for with the Volcano. But as you said, it doesn't matter how it looks, so long as it gets me wasted and not my lungs i'm happy!!

One thing you'll notice if you tape up your unit is that because there's very little (if any) leakage, the bag will fill up a lot faster. I can't use the high fan setting anymore because the bag just balloons out faster than the smoking material has time to form vapor, but that's not a bad thing either because I think the medium fan setting would allow more time for the herb to form vapor. It's just the problem before was that the medium fan speed didn't have enough force to fully expand the bag all the way, so you'd have to switch to high speed to finish it off, which in turn screws with the temperature you're trying to vape at.

Ahhh, well now my friend, because you have helped me so much, now i must help you.

With the medium fan only getting the bag to a good fatness, there is a solution.

I dunno if you bought your Vapir from Freewheelin.com.au but if you do they send you a way to modify the balloon.

All you have to do to replace the bag is cut off the opening, cut off the protuding sides so it's a cylindrical air valve, go buy yourself some Glad or OSO Oven Bags and attach that with a rubber band (doubled over the bag with the air valve, twice). And there you have a FAR SUPERIOR bag to the Vapir one. It expands much easier and you get good big bags on medium fan setting.

Do yourself a favour if you haven't already and Do this.

Thanks for all your help, mate.

Ok, I just tried a couple of bags. Wow, that's excellent! That works extremely well. I got two good bagfulls out of it, but there was a couple of hits per bag. Really sweet, mate. Best $2.00 I've spent in awhile. Thanks again!

Update: I turned the temp up to about 188 and stuck the fan on high. Wow, lots and lots of vapor. You know what I should do is take a video of how much vapor this thing is putting out on my end(I might do that later for people who're curious how effective the machine can be.) That bag and the masking tape really have transformed the unit, in my opinion. I have no problem getting semi-thick vapor if I want it now. In fact, if I turned the temp up to 200, I could probably get really, really thick vapor but as it is I'm sort of on antibiotics for the next week and a half for a lung infection so I don't want to push it.

Edited by ColdFrixion

Hey, I just figured out something really cool. If you let the herb disc cool down between hits (have another herb disc ready to go) you'll get nearly 3X to 4X the amount of vapor you'd get if you just use the same herb disc without letting it cool off and stick it back in while the tray and disc are still hot. I don't know what it is about letting the herb cool down but when you put in a disc that's cool to the touch, you get a LOT more vapor out of that discfull than if you just used the same disc over and over without letting using another herb disc while you let that one cool down. Trust me, try it. I've gotten at least 5 good oven bag sized bag fulls from *each* disc I used just now. I get about 3 or 4 hits per bag, so if you multiplied 3x10, that's about thirty+ hits! I'm toasted. Doing it this way, you could easily accomodate three people.

Actually, I don't really even know how many bags I could've gotten out of those two discs, namely because I just reached a point in my enebriation where I doubt I could've got any higher.

So, boys and girls, swap between two herb discs when changing them between hits and let the one cool off that you just used. Always put in a cool disc. You'll get WAYYYYY more mileage.

Anyway, I'm going to take some video tonight demonstrating how much vapor you can get from a modified Vapir, for those who're curious! Stay tuned! I'll post a link when I'm done. I honestly think you can compare the output of my modified Vapir possibly to a Volcano. I've never actually used one but I've seen them in action, but others can judge for themselves soon enough.

Edited by ColdFrixion