growing in my local park

I did it a few years ago with a friend in a small bushland patch in suburbia. i guess its just an issue of knowing your area, getting somewhere really dense with a good entrance and limiting visits /noise. in the end we had to pull them all up 3 weeks early after a random guy drinking long necks in the bush overheard us one arvo - its always going to be pretty risky. people go wandering around nowhere all the time, into scrub for no reason. it can work but trying somewhere a bit further out this year. transport water/everything at night

It's onmy other hard drive in a broken down computer. I'll buiy one of those frames to use the hard drive on my laptop soon and show the pics. but its of the Canadian Mouinted police headquarters. Someone grew q decent looking plant in their front garden, right in front of a stone mason sign withthe words "Can. Mounted Police". He alerted themt o it from across the road on his phone, and snapped pics as they came out and inspected it, and pulled it. it's a gass. It was originally posted on this site by the joker who did it.

But while on the old thread subject of growing in parkland. U can grow in pots on the edge of water fronts with bushland right tothe edge. Go fishing, and duck in to check ya plants, no-one willknow.

But some time ago, someone asked if they could have help dreaming a way to grow in Vic CBD . I offered two suggestions I know have been done and got laughed at.

There are ways, In the bushland hening rifle ranges is one I'll share. theyhave miles of empty bushland behind all rifle ranges, and every city has at least one in the CBD these days. They wer e once on the outskirts of town, but not anymore.

A bloke Iknow grew shit loads of swaziin bush behind the (editted) rifle range years ago in a city near u. Uhave to go at night, or risk being shot, but it's one place. victoria has 2 rifle ranges last time i ;ived there one civillian, one aur force. both had public access to the back of them.

The other top spot ti Keep to myself.

if u want to grow on a country road mytstic, look out for areas that grader drivers have made swails to reduce water speed on th road surface. as u drive along, a great swaithe of bush is cut away to the side of the dirt road u will be on. water runs down these and being careful to not plant smack centre ofthe pushed up bush. or else next grade workwill bulldoze ya plants at best, and your plants will drowm from massed water, but off to the side, u will find ,oisture retained in the soil fot long after the last rainfall. U will pick these spots by the "humps inthe rod.

Also,dont plant anywhere near a fence,allfamrer swilchecktheirfences at least several times per growing period.

dont mean to tell u what to do, just things i learned over the years.

cheers

rob

if you have a car i would say growing around a cbd is feasible, lots of national parks and bushland. would pay off to put eggs in a few baskets. as a side note google earth has pretty detailed maps of metropolitan areas, handy for picking out candidate spots to scout

hmm, talk about reviving an old thread lol

I did the tree thing a few times back about 96/97, works well if set up right. Nail a tray to the tree to sit the pot in, to help retain water, as being up in the air the pots tend to dry much faster. If I was doing it now I would try self watering pots, as the less often you have to water the less chance of being sprung.

Trees with thick lower foliage are always best if you can find one with a suitable high perch for your plant.

Stay well clear of any overhead wires as trees nearby will be checked and pruned fairly regularly.

Good discrete pot placement will make the difference when it comes to casual observation, scope a few trees and look for spots that are obscured from easily accessible ground, people dont tend to look up into trees when they are negotiating thick scrub or ducking under low branches.

At the time I also used to stick my pots in the top of hollow stumps left from logging ages ago, then put a cage of black mesh on top of that, you wouldnt believe how hard they where to spot, even when you knew where to look B)

I wasnt quite in suburbia mind you, but the local grommets where always on the lookout for plants to rip, I lost a lot of plants in those days ^_^ hence the stealthy grows.