GET INVOLVED!!! If you r in QLD READ THIS

If I knew I could safely do this then I would, However im now putting my family in a position like that.

Great idea, but i would rather grow illegally than take the risk of being busted and loose my medicine.

Just look at that new magazine headspace, they advertised Mullup as the sponsor.

Now mullup has been shut down. coincidence or what I dont know?

We should start this nationaly...We need the contacts for every state! and any relevent political parties or lobygroups....Letter should be signed anonomusly and with no return adress...don't post them at the mail box next to your house and your in the clear. your grow can remain hidden till it is safe... But we must take up the call...this is our lives why should we hide, why should we be punished needlessly....A few good form letters should be created to make it easy for people to make it easy for people. We need all relevent contacts first....come on people let see if we can wobble the tower that blocks the sun.

Guest niall
We should start this nationaly...We need the contacts for every state! and any relevent political parties or lobygroups....Letter should be signed anonomusly and with no return adress...don't post them at the mail box next to your house and your in the clear.  your grow can remain hidden till it is safe...  But we must take up the call...this is our lives why should we hide, why should we be punished needlessly....A few good form letters should be created to make it easy for people to make it easy for people.  We need all relevent contacts first....come on people let see if we can wobble the tower that blocks the sun.

I don't want to sound pessimistic or discourage anyone here, but I honestly don't see the point. Now before you get angry, hear me out ^_^

Sending letters to Politicians usually results in the MP receiving a tally of how many letters they got on that subject that week/month. If your letter is anonymous, then it's not going to be taken too seriously. If they get 1 or 2 letters on a subject, with no return address, then they're going to be ignored. Either way, our Politicians are the last people that we need to convince - they are part of the problem in fact. Drug war rhetoric prolongs a Politicians career - appearing "Tough on Drugs" buys them more votes than reforming our failed laws. We need to motivate them with votes, by converting public opinion on a massive scale.

What we need to do is emulate what Canada and the UK have achieved over the last decade.

We need to organise ourselves in large numbers. We literally need a groundswell of public opinion. We need to come out of the closet and be on TV, Radio, Newsprint, magazine articles. We need to support each other and work towards a common goal in a co-ordinated fashion on a national level. When we have organised ourselves and number in the tens or even hundreds of dedicated, public activists we then need to approach this simultaneously from medical, recreational, spiritual, legal and political vectors. It's going to take court cases and major funding. It's going to take advertising. It's going to take lobbying. It's going to require our own political party or a party willing to properly represent us if we can organise enough momentum and energy to commit behind their party. We need lawyers. We need economists. We need scientists. We need public health officials. We need alcohol and drug workers and counsellors. We need soccer mums!

We need to convince the Australian public that prohibition is not working, and it's making the problem significantly worse. We need to convince mums and dads that their children are actually safer when cannabis is regulated and taxed. We need to convince society that regulation is a better, cheaper approach.

In short, we need a revolution, and we need people who are willing to come out of the closet and stand up in public to be counted. If no-one is willing to do this, then we will literally be one of the very last countries to change our cannabis laws. If we, as a community, are not willing to act then we will be stuck with these laws for the rest of our lives. Then our children will have to endure them. At some point you've got to say enough is enough, and accept that what they're doing to you now is far worse than what they'll do to you if you stand up for yourself and work within the system as a responsible and concerned member of society.

If anyone is serious, please contact me. Small, un-coordinated projects like anonymous letter writing are, unfortunately, a waste of time and resources. They'll not get us anywhere in the real world, aside from hone your letter writing skills.

We need 3-5 people in each State. People who are willing to go public that they use cannabis. People who are willing to put their name and address on a letter to their local newspaper and their elected representatives. People who are willing to stand for Parliament in 5-10 years time when this issue comes to a head. People who are willing to donate a few hours a week, or whatever skills or resources they have. People who are willing to act and not hide in the suburbs pulling cones and wishing someone would do the hard work for them. :)

Sorry if I'm ranting or getting a bit angry here, it's just very frustrating when no-one else seems to be prepared to get involved. But what can you do eh, hopefully I'm planting seeds in your mind and one day you gather enough courage to take a stand :smoke

I don't believe it's about courage at all. I believe it's a matter of personal safety. Who would put themselves and their loved ones (i.e family) on-the-line and at risk? I would much rather be able to continue what I do and in the comfort and safety of my home then exposing myself to the greater community being an activist (it's not as if cops are going to turn a blind eye to what you do and say)

I wouldn't mind being an 'activist' and all... but it'll end up biting ya back in the ass. Hey, it's not like people haven't already tried you know... anyone remember that freemarijuana fella? ^_^

Guest niall
I don't believe it's about courage at all. I believe it's a matter of personal safety. Who would put themselves and their loved ones (i.e family) on-the-line and at risk? I would much rather be able to continue what I do and in the comfort and safety of my home then exposing myself to the greater community being an activist (it's not as if cops are going to turn a blind eye to what you do and say)

If you're growing, then fair enough this is a hard decision to make. I decided to take a public stand so my name, phone number, address - it's all out there. It's been out there for years now, and I get letters published in The West now and then when the topic comes up. I talk about it openly to my friends, family, colleagues - anyone who is interested. I don't force the issue on people, but I've been in many situations where I can correct people's misconceptions and give them the facts. Nothing bad has happened to me.

I'm not suggesting nothing bad will ever happen, but realistically - what is the worst that can happen? Let's say the Police use my public stance against me and come with a warrant to search my home. They find a few grams of pot. It's more fuel for the fire - what a rediculous waste of taxpayer money! Hell, I'll call the local TV and radio stations and use it as an opportunity to announce the Marijuana Party of WA and smoke up on camera - what excellent exposure!

Some States are worse than others, I'm sure. It's a decision that you have to make for yourself. But if no-one is going to stand up, how can you expect the law to ever be changed? Maybe you're not in a position to go public, maybe you're growing, maybe you're a minor, maybe you're studying or living at home and can't afford to be kicked out. Fair enough. But keep it in the back of your mind - one day down the road you may be in a position to help.

Hey, it's not like people haven't already tried you know... anyone remember that freemarijuana fella? ^_^

Just because people have tried and failed doesn't mean that we shouldn't keep trying. I believe we need new tactics. I disagree with how the Nimbin crew and NAP have approached the problem in some ways, but that's the point - we need to try different approaches and different tactics until we find what does work. Canadian and UK activists are having a HUGE effect on public opinion, and this investment is starting to pay off in society's general attitude, Judge's decisions and (most importantly) votes!

It's a huge project. It's going to be challenging. It's going to require co-ordination and a coming together in our community like we've never attempted before. We're going to need a group of people to come out of the closet and act in the public eye, but we also need people who would prefer to remain anonymous. We need people behind the scenes, supporting the movement in whatever way they can. We need donations. We need to build a community and reach as many stoners as we can across Australia. We need to get all of the headshops involved. We need offline publications to reach those who aren't on the Net. We need a wide variety of projects to be started and be run by volunteers.

No-one said it was going to be easy, but it's not going to happen at all if everyone smokes in secret because they're scared of getting caught.

:smoke i don't know what to say or do ....... but thats how they have got us , by the balls :scratchin , i've been hiding my habit now for 27 years ,so you could say you habituate to your situation , well i seem to have ... so what do you do ?

i reckon the drug driving issue could be the last straw.