Germination attempt 2

Slotty2

some seeds are more harder then others to pop - some times they have a thicker outer shell - you could try slightly rubbing then with sandpaper to allow water to access seed easier.

Very true, a good method that I have used is to line the insides of a jar with sandpaper then put the seeds inside and shake it gently.

but I havent done this on mj before. it works good on things like banksias etc.

I like what spurious is saying too, if you plan on growing in soil then use some of the soil to raise the seeds.

You only need to sprinkle soil over the seeds to double the size of the seed.

then keep moist and warm.

its always good on soil to use a couple drops of unscented dishwashing liquid as it acts as a wetting agent. :smoke

I myself use the rockwool cubes because they work so well. :thumbsup

The trick with using them is to soak the cubes before you use them in a mixture of dilute h202, superthrive and water set to 5.5ph.

Most times I get lazy and just wet the cube, throw the seed in it and kepp it warm and dark, but i loose one or two being lazy.

I have to agree with Spurious,

if you're growing in soil, stuck em in germination soil, keep em moist but don't drown em and let nature do it's thing. No presoaking, no mambo jambo.

The paper towel method is a great way of killing sprouts IMO.

Never wondered why the seeds crack in the paper towl, the tap root shows, you take em and put them (which includes touching them and handling them while they are the most fragile in their whole lifecycle) in the medium and then nothing happens anymore?

I like germinating (for hydro) in vermiculite/perlite mix with just a touch of germination soil (the quality one, not the wood based one!) where the seed is. In quality germination soil you have microorganisms that eat wood, ie the husk, so no sandpaper or razorblades involved, just the way it was meant to be by nature.

Germinating in a sterile medium like rw causes the husk to stay hard and tough, had a couple of seedlings that died because the husk was stuck in the rw cube after the sproud popped up, the husk was pressed with the 'sharp' side against the tiny rootball.

IME and IMO, :)

mace