Best brand of cigars?

Ive recently got into the taste of cigars. As im not a usual tobacco smoker(i have a cig on the odd occasion but it tastes like cardboard and burning rubber) yet cigars are a good tasting flavour and have a nice aftertaste.

Ive yet to try cubans and many other brands(i hear they are very potent and toxic -yummy) which is why ive brought the question up - Wat cigars do u personally find best?

Does anybody know any Australian brand cigars? ive only smoked some thats from Peru, Asia etc.

Thx B)

Devus

I've actually made a few home-madies, from tobacco that I grew myself. The hardest part is the curing of the leaf. They were a bit harsh, but nonetheless, still ok. The best ones were Cuban Churchills. I picked up a box of 24 for a cool grand, a few years ago. Abosolute bargain. Got none left though. That's how good they are...... were. :smoke

well really it deppends what kind of taste and aroma you are after I actauly find that many people don't like cuban or dominican cigars because they say they are too strong , instead they tend to lead towards the cheapo stuff like Henry Wittermans Personaly I don't agree with these peopel and only use cheap cigars as blunts B) try romeo et Juliet if you after a mid priced yet high quality cigar

Another good, mild, budget cigar is King Edward cigars.

"Gentlemen, you may smoke", King Edward VII proclaimed soon after his ascension to the throne. The proclamation struck down Queen Victoria's ban on smoking on the royal premises. It was a line that would earn the King a place in cigar history and a Swisher brand named in his honor that became the world's best-seller. Today, King Edward cigars are smooth, mild, affordable and sold in over 60 countries around the world. Made in the U.S., the line is popular priced, widely available and offered in 5-packs and 50-count boxes.

http://www.cgc.com.mt/cigarsbox.jpg

I'm with you on this one Pure, Romeo Y Julieta are rolled cigars and a good rich smoke and i find they leave a sweet taste on my lips and tongue. I gave up ciggys a few years ago but i still have a cigar once in a while.

I have tried HP Upmans, they weren't bad but i found them to be a bit sour and left my palette dry. I realy want to try some of the more expensive cigars but you have to have access to a humidor with a big turnover or you have to buy a whole box and like Spurious knows, a grand don't come for free.

Devus, I know you aren't supposed to do this but when you have finished your cigar, after savouring the taste and you are ready to put it out take a big long drag on it and inhale it like a ciggy. It will hit you like a ton of bricks. Don't inhale until the end or you will destroy your palette and might as well smoke a blunt.

edit:

I should add also, if you are just getting into cigars try a larger ring, as the larger the ring the smoother the smoke. Try about a 50.

Edited by Pickle

Yeah, most of them went when all my friends started having babies. Handed them out as gifts, to the lucky fathers...... mind you, I always had one myself too. B)

A christmas here, a birthday there, and it didn't take long before they became extinct. This thread has almost got me wondering about doing it all again. You only live once, but too many of these things will ensure you don't live long enough to do it too many times.

Hey Pick, do you know what changes to the customs tobacco import laws have been, in regard to import duty?

I believe they have changed, but not sure how. I'm wondering, because I'm going to the US in July, for a couple of weeks, and I think they have recently relaxed their trade embargo with Cuba. If I am able to do so, I'll grab a box of beauties, and send you one from the box.

I'm not sure about imports but i was just having a mosey round google and found a shop that does bundles in Australia. They are still expensive but it got me to thinking if we could get enough people buying in a large order maybe we could get a serious discount. They wouldn't be brand names but they would be made in the factories where the brand names are made.

I found a few bundles that look interesting:

DOMINICAN NO 1 SPECIAL ROBUSTO x10 5"/50 AUD $117.29

EQUADORIAN ARAY SAFARI CHURCHILL x10 71/2"/50 AUD $136.62

HONDURAN SPECIAL ROBUSTO X25 5"/50 AUD $222.09

NICARAGUAN ROBUSTO x1 5"/50 AUD $10.95

The bulk Nicaraguan cigars are sold by the 100 so i don't know how they could be divided up without losing the atmosphere and i imagine the people at the shop would start asking for more money if they were asked to divide them up not to mention added postage costs and loss of humidity.

I was also tossing around the idea, if we could get enough people interested, 25, maybe we could get a box of Montechristos between us but that's pie in the sky stuff and there is the humidity problem.

edit:

I only pasted a few 50 ring bundles but there are heaps of others there too. If they are as good as Romeo Y Julieta's $12 odd dollars compared to $15 retail isn't bad and i am sure they know which ones are similar to which.

Edited by Pickle