Buffering Brick Coco

I have only just started using the Bunning's Brick Coco. Previous to this I have always used pre buffered Coco.

attachicon.gifIMG_2105.JPG

This is what I started to do with the Brick Coco and 7 weeks in I really cant tell the difference between the $35 Bag of Canna Coco i have used for the last 10 years and the $2 Brick Stuff I'm using now.

1. Put the Bricks in a large pot with drain holes and pour 2 Jugs of Boiling Water to make it expand for about 10 minutes.

2. I flood it with Tap water (0.25 EC) around 4 or 5 times until the run off becomes clear. I don't bother getting the PH of the water right. I estimate I put through around 20 liters of water to get to this point.

3. I mix up 2 ml per liter of Calmax (2-0-0) with my Tap Water (0.25 E.C.)....Total E.C. around 1.4..I then correct the PH to 5.8....I then flush it twice with this mix......Around 5 liters of nutrient.

4. I then leave it overnight or longer to drain and soak.

From there I just flood it with my Nutrient and It's ready to use for growing. I'm still not perfectly happy with it straight out of the Gate.

Looking for feedback and ideas to possibly even make it better....Anyone have anything to add?

Do you buffer with a higher PH or use Nutes with the mix or what?

First where are you buying your canna bays of coco at 35$ ?? you are getting ripped off.

Second.... yes you have kind of flushed and kind of buffed your coco you bought from bunnings.

However... you look at canna cooc, H&G, Cyco and Nutefeild coco they all have a BIG as stamp on it 

called RHP cert. Which means that all the coco in those bags have been wash and buffered to a International standard

What you are over paying for, is that the all the bags are all the same. All PH 7 and buffered. Where you cant set standards.

This grow might be ok, next one not. That is what you pay for

RHP if i'm not mistaken just refers to medium being free from weed seeds. Also it is a europeans standard not an international one. 

From my understanding with Canna, is the premium comes from the product not being steam treated, and thus treated a different way to preserve naturally occuring trichoderma present within the coco. Other companioes may be doing similar not entirely sure on that.

First where are you buying your canna bays of coco at 35$ ?? you are getting ripped off.

Second.... yes you have kind of flushed and kind of buffed your coco you bought from bunnings.

However... you look at canna cooc, H&G, Cyco and Nutefeild coco they all have a BIG as stamp on it

called RHP cert. Which means that all the coco in those bags have been wash and buffered to a International standard

What you are over paying for, is that the all the bags are all the same. All PH 7 and buffered. Where you cant set standards.

This grow might be ok, next one not. That is what you pay for

If you are going to make the effort to tell someone they are getting ripped off why not go the extra mile and tell us all where you get your cheap bags of Canna coco and for how much?

Edited by Naycha