Polination advice. When Boi meets Gurl.

Old fox

So do you do what you preach itchy ,you seed the best buds on your plants?

What difference does it really make,seed will carry the same genes whether it came from the top or bottom wouldn't they not?

Maybe the reason a commercial grower would use the larger fruits is simply because they will hold more seeds?

Not because the top fruit has better genes than the bottom fruit?

I'd expect breeders ,who probably don't grow it to smoke anyway,would use the same theory,bigger buds more seeds

Pretty they aren't going to separate top from middle or bottom seeds

Pollination is either to carry the same genes on to next generation allowing consistency and predictability, or introduce new genes into the pool improving the less desirable traits of the parent

So the question is does it make any difference which part of the plant it came from ,my answer is no it does not

I've made a shit load of seeds over the years and never stood back and said, that small plant over there must have come from the bottom plant!

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 1

One indicator to gauge how well your techniques work when it comes to pollen-chucking, is the strike rate (germination) of a batch of seeds.

Usually, once harvest, i'll remove all pollenated buds and tuck them away in a cool, dark, well ventilated location for about a month before harvesting the seed out of them. At that stage I do seperate the poorly formed or dodgy looking seeds, and stick what seeds i'd regard as viable into a bowl, and tuck them away for another month in same location. Once those two months roll by the seeds are usually ready to go into snap lock bags and sealable container that I keep at 3-5c for long term storage.

Fortunately, previous years i've managed a germination rate between 85 - 95%. There was a run there that for a while where i'd hit that 95% of seeds that were 3 to 5 years old at the time. So i guess i got real lucky, or i'm actually getting on top of it. Who knows?

Good thing we all got our own ways of doing things :good:

Edited by Indycar

Spot on micmac

I have seeds from the bottom, and usually find a couple in the top buds of some when I mull them up, careless chucker here 

i always plant a bag/ top bud seed when i find them, old habits are had to kill 

have never noticed any difference in vigor between the same phenos no matter where the seed comes from

its more important to select a good Female and a good male, and have some idea what your trying to achieve by crossing the two together 

Fucking Vic rds is killing me, no renewal notice, no reminder, apparently they only send them out as a courtesy these days

so your supposed to know, when, how much, and then go to Vic rds to pay the fucktards 

been abusing the shit out of them all morning, getting nowhere as usual, fucking retarded public servants 

give them the old, your dickheads are supposed to be here to help, not make it fucking hard ya stnuc

lol just a bit of trivia 

I can imagine ,all in the web mate,that's What they want you to use these days ,get their app they say

Well I say get the NBN up to scratch and stop sending me texts that it's not working

yeah, they tried to get me to sign up to there app 

On a side note ,the local chicken store makes the best fried chicken I've ever had, into some now

$2 a piece ,lunch is served

good on ya, fucking miss having a local chicken shop lol 

we got nothing out here 

Fucking Vic rds is killing me, no renewal notice, no reminder, apparently they only send them out as a courtesy these days

so your supposed to know, when, how much, and then go to Vic rds to pay the fucktards 

been abusing the shit out of them all morning, getting nowhere as usual, fucking retarded public servants 

give them the old, your dickheads are supposed to be here to help, not make it fucking hard ya stnuc

lol just a bit of trivia 

Everything linked to sper nowadays. Don’t vote.....sper. Any non payment to gov.....sper.

Youll have to pay thousands to renew your liscence more than likely. 

Edit:sp

Edited by Try Blu

So do you do what you preach itchy ,you seed the best buds on your plants?

What difference does it really make,seed will carry the same genes whether it came from the top or bottom wouldn't they not?

Maybe the reason a commercial grower would use the larger fruits is simply because they will hold more seeds?

Not because the top fruit has better genes than the bottom fruit?

I'd expect breeders ,who probably don't grow it to smoke anyway,would use the same theory,bigger buds more seeds

Pretty they aren't going to separate top from middle or bottom seeds

Pollination is either to carry the same genes on to next generation allowing consistency and predictability, or introduce new genes into the pool improving the less desirable traits of the parent

So the question is does it make any difference which part of the plant it came from ,my answer is no it does not

I've made a shit load of seeds over the years and never stood back and said, that small plant over there must have come from the bottom plant!

first off , picking the best fruit for the next year is just a rule of thumb

a couple of old vegetable backyard growers mentioned it years ago , i've seen mentioned a few times since 

makes complete sense to me so i treat all seed collecting in that way , take the most developed , the biggest , the first not the last   

might not make sense to you , makes perfect sense to me ?

i don't breed canna here , to difficult but when involved a few years ago with a mate that's the thinking we used  

what your calling best buds for us meant main bud on the end of a branch between half to 3/4 the way up the plant 

basically a main bud that gets full sun , rather than buds close to soil with a better chance for bug attacks & not in full sun 

your basically right a seed is a seed but maybe there's more of a chance for an interruption to a seed forming down low 

& hidden away , weight of numbers thing for me more chance for better results with a main bud , bud ! :)

in my seed collecting experience with tomatoes , collecting the last small & in some cases deformed fruit gave me quite a few mutants 

when growing them out the following year , so i took that experience & married it with the old timers advice & have always picked the 

first healthiest looking fruit for seed collection  

my understanding , the old timers were more concerned with mutants when collecting seed from the last on a indeterminate tomato plant 

i guess from our standpoint a mutant could be a good thing but depending on your thinking might not always be the best

to breed with , but there are examples of that in our game , not suggesting lower seeds on canna plants are mutants 

absolutely a commercial grower / seed maker want max seed production , unfortunately i don't know all there criteria for what fruit is

accepted or rejected when it comes to seed collection but i'm pretty sure there are some fruit rejected , like the bottom/smaller fruit has 

more chance of mutants maybe , i really don't know   

harvesting more seed in canna is more about timing / when you pollinate a female imo , early & you get a few seeds , time it right & you get lots of seed

putting your female into flower b4 your male rather than flowering at the same time as a male will develop a lill faster & pollinate early

no they won't separate lower mid & top seeds but they will remove the undeveloped ones which could come from smaller lower undeveloped buds don't ya think ? 

lol yeah i've never stood back & said that small plant over there came from a seed at the bottom of the plant cos i never seed lower nugs or never have smaller plants lol lol lol 

come on now , i'm joking