ACT legalises personal cannabis use, becoming first Australian jurisdi

Apparently the Greens will be putting a bill forward in the South Australian parliament. Their official position is for production licences and retail provisions as well as small scale home growing (5 plants from memory). I can't find were I heard it but if I hear more I'll make a thread. Several progressive pieces of legislation have passed through SA's conservative parliament in recent months with the help of Labor, Greens and independents out voting the liberal government. If legalisation gets passed in SA, being that it is a state parliament with much more autonomy than a territory, there be bugger all the Federal gov can do about it  :egyptdance:

Edited by bloodshot_eyes
  • Upvote 1

Yeah I was just reading on the Guardian. Greg Hunt (federal health minister) basically had a hissy fit saying how irresponsible it is of the ACT to legalise cannabis but said its unlikely that they will need to intervene because it is still illegal under federal law and he expects the federal police to enforce those laws in the ACT. Thing is the federal police are not set up for and have no history of enforcing domestic issues like that. The ACT police will be following the new laws when they come in in January so they will be busting no-one. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. Honestly, I don't think the federal police will have the resources for or even bothered to care about busting pot smokers in Canberra. I think it will get legalised, and this will blow over. Its just the federal liberals having a hissy fit at the moment. We'll have to wait and see how it pans out I guess.

In regards to these laws, yeah they are a bit silly but its landmark in that it does legalise the act of smoking and possessing small amounts. Once that genie is out of the bottle, it's not going back in. This will spread over the next decade as Australia joins in on the emerging international cannabis business. I'd say most states will have cannabis available in stores within the decade.

• Upvote 1