Stop gnats in coco - pool filter sand ?

Well they - gnats do like coco that's for sure ,,I've always thought that the green shit that often grows on the top of the cubes attracts the gnats ,,

Could be wrong ,,.

yep they like algae to eat 

larvae mostly eat fungi & why roots get eaten cause of the association with mycorrhizal fungi

they need fungi in there diet over most other foods they will consume 

mostly attracted to smell , males are looking for female stink , while females are looking for a food 

source , they can enter the grow room in bags of media , through unprotected fan intakes & on the grower 

& any pets/animals that might enter the room , in big greenhouses they use positive pressure apposed to 

negative pressure , so any door that is opened there is a rush of air exiting stopping any flying insect from entering  

in a living organic soil the soil life should keep them pretty well in check , you will still have them most likely 

but the life in the pot should will keep there numbers low being they are a food source to beneficial predators

plus in the pot there are other fungi food sources for them to eat other than what's attached to a plants root system

gnat predator , Steinernema feltiae http://www.nemassist.com.au/fungus-gnat-15-million.html  important to follow directions when applying 

& i've never used it in a coco media 

neem oil will have an impact but also has it's own down side of over use & like most pesticides not really plant friendly 

don't get me wrong i use neem oil & cake/meal but not as the only plan of attack 

yellow sticky traps are also good for catching adults , pest identification & can be an early sign marker you have visitors 

• Upvote 1

Im thinking of trying bugs for bugs to see if i can stop useing neem or a least less of it.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Interesting .. I use californicus every grow for spider mites - for $25 a tube (local hydro store gets 10 @ a time for different people so cheaper as u don’t pay quarantine for one or two tubes ) .. mainly as a preventative as I had spider mites about 6 months go and had to harvest early to save them as it started webbing! Now I figure $25 is worth the investment .

What bugs eat gnats ??

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app