Why is my power tripping? Pictures inside.

Hey Smok,

When it 'blows', which one 'blows'?

That RCD (Residual Current Device) works like this. It measures the current being put out, then compares it to the current back. On that particular switch if the difference is more than 30 milliamps it will blow the RCD side. What does this mean? In real basic terms you have an earth leak somewhere.

That MCB (Micro Circuit Breaker), now that is your overload.

They are both considered 'Safety switches" and the older safety's have them both on the one switch, but the newer versions have 2 different switches.

Comparing watts to amps is a bit like comparing milk to cheese. Milk is a component in cheese but trying to compare is impossible as there's a whole process the milk has to go through before becoming cheese.

In electrics there's a law called Ohm's Law which is 'basically' the process watts go thru to make amps.

Here's the Ohm's law triangle

post-24238-0-42564500-1546666582_thumb.png

P=Power  I=Current   V=Voltage

P is measured in Watts

I is measured in Amps

V is measured in Volts

Voltage x Current = Power

Power divided by voltage = Current

Power divided by Current = Voltage

Now this can all be as confusing as hell to the novice and if that's the case, you need a sparky. We are talking 240v, this is not something the layman should play with, IT CAN KILL YOU.

NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER PLAY WITH 240V, it has a real nasty bite.

Merl1n

• Upvote 1

Gday merlin thanks for your reply. I understand that and the one that blows is the MCD (BLACK TOGGLE).

ON THE LEFT CIRCUIT breaker.

So here is where it gets very weird.

I didnt have time to stuff around today so i took out what I thought was the two ballasts. Thought I will play with them later.

So i left the other two ballasts running connected to the 6 outlet timer box... walk in the shed this afternoon and the BLOODY POWER HAS TRIPPED.

A total of 1200watts plus two exhaust and intake fans. Over two seperate powerpoints is no more than 1380watts. On a 15amp circuit. I dont think im overloading??? I had these two ballasts plugged and working fine for 2 weeks and no trips of the circuit!!?

So what the hell has caused it to trip again today?

Sooo what I did was just then remove my 6 outlet ballast timer. And it still tripped. So now we know that it isnt the timer.

I now have 4 ballasts running for over an hour. The only thing i did different was remove the extension cords. (And yes i tried spare extension cords and it still tripped).

So far so good....

I thought it was weird that one of the ballasts wont spark a globe with the extension cord connected. Very bizarre. Well now its just straight to the adjustawing plug and fired up.

Very weird. So it seems (fingers crossed) that these type of ballasts do not like extension cords plugged into them.

They are the NANOLUX og series 600. They are black.

And i was using 10amp 4metre ballast extension cords in white.

Fingers crossed. Smoky. Thx guys for the help its been appreciated...

Edited by smokditup

Had a quick look through thread

Sounds like u have a faulty price of equipment, growlush ballast r known for this problem amongst others

Elimanate each piece of equipment until u find the faulty 1

More than 1 ballast per power board will generally trip boards ,especially on start up

The newer digital ballast have soft starts n r setup to fire randomly in the first 15 seconds to stop them all starting at the same time,this is when your current draw is the highest

Hope this helps

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Well it seems that these type of digital ballasts do not like extension cords. Been running a while now and no trips. I think I found the problem.

Its a shame that i have to run them inside my tent with 1 plant.. There is no room in there as it is.

Hmmm

Edited by smokditup