Tossing up .....2 x 250w HID

Yeah each to their own. I feel you find contradictory arguments on either side. I do see a lot saying that they find CMH do finish the plants faster in flowering. Also touching on the UV thing I came across this -

“This mixture creates a spectrum close to that of the sun and emits a stunning, crisp, white light. In fact, the color rendering index (CRI) for ceramic lamps ranges from 90-92. To give you some perspective, the sun’s CRI is 100. HPS lamps range from 20-30, and metal halides range from 60-65. The closer the CRI is to 100, the closer the spectrum is to that of the sun.

In terms of light quality, ceramics include ultraviolet and infrared rays in their spectrum, which plants love. The higher amounts of UV rays create stronger, woodier stalks. This means the growth and vigor of your plants will be unmatched, especially in the vegetative stage. Due to the incredible growth CMHs produce, growers have reported great success when using silica supplements with these.”

Edited by bakedcake

A little further which I would agree with, however there is still studies to see if the overall quality of the product. I guess if you paired them you will have a great turnout. I guess ..................... can vouch for that (sorry not sure how many . There are haha)

CMH vs. HPS

As previously mentioned, HPS grow lights are still the king of flowering crops. And that’s pretty much the only thing they have over CMH.​

HPS grow lights provide most of their PAR light as red light, which is exactly what flowering and fruiting crops need at that growth phase. But CMH grow lights still provide a more balanced PAR spectrum that doesn’t encourage stretching like the RED light from the HPS does, more PAR light per watt and an overall cooler operation.​

My recommendation for anyone running Flowering crops is to use CMH as base lighting and use HPS as an added red light supplement to encourage the biggest and highest quality yields. Another point is that standard HPS need to be replaced every 9,000 Hours because of their significant degradation over time.​

• Upvote 1

No worries billy, u make a joke that's fine [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Do a bit more reading n u might actually understand what's going on when u turn your lights on

A photon is absorbed by one of the pigment molecules and transfers that energy by successive flourescence events to neighboring molecules until it reaches the action center where the energy is used to transfer an energetic electron to an electron acceptor.

A trick of quantum physics called coherence, the researchers suggest, helps the energy of the elementary particles of light, called photons, find the most efficient path to a plant's (or purple bacterium's) so-called reaction center, where the light's energy fuels the reaction that produces carbohydrates.

The only direct function of a photon in the photosynthesis process is to deliver kinetic energy to atoms/ molecules on the surface of the plant. That delivedred KE causes vibrations in the atom/ molecule that then causes other phonon, electronic and chemical reactions in the plant.

Absorption of Photons and Transfer of Energy

When a plant is exposed to light, photons of appropriate wavelength will strike and be absorbed by the pigment-protein complexes arrayed on the thylakoid membranes. When this happens, the energy of the photon is transferred to the pigment molecule, thus causing the pigment to go into an electronically excited state. In other words, the energy originally associated with the photon is now contained within the pigment molecule. Once a pigment molecule has gone into an excited state, it is possible for the excitation energy to be transferred to an adjacent pigment molecule.

Dispersed among the pigment-protein complexes on the thylakoid membranes are special structures called reaction centers. They are fewer in number than the light-harvesting complexes, and consist of proteins, chlorophyll, and several other pigments in a highly structured arrangement. This will be described later in a detailed module. There are two types of reaction centers, called Photosystem I (PSI or P700) and Photosystem II (PSII or P680).

The array of pigment-protein complexes on the thylakoid membranes functions as an antenna for gathering light energy. Excitation energy is transferred from one chlorophyll to another until the energy reaches a reaction center (Figure 4). This causes one of the chlorophyll molecules within the reaction center to go into an excited state.

Figure 4. An Antenna Complex. The array of pigment-protein molecules (e.g., chlorophyll) that absorbs light is referred to as an antenna complex. In this simplified figure, energy is absorbed from a photon of light, and transferred stepwise to the reaction center, P700. In the reaction center, the energy is imparted to an electron, which is passed on to a chain of carriers.

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

from my own research into cmh, is that  you will lose out slightly on yield, due to not much in the red sprectum,

cmh run better uv a and b light, which increases the oil/tric production,

which negates the yield somewhat,

quality over quantity,

hence why im running hps and cmh in flowering.

best of both...

this is my first grow with this setup,

so this will be my base line...

can definitely see the difference in bud quality.

i was running both lights in a vented hood with a glass cover,

but after some research, i have put the cmh into another unvented, glassless cover,

as glass blocks 99% of uv-b light, which is what the girls need for tric richness.

• Upvote 1