ABC 7.30 report - The Green House Next Door

I don't get this. The government could fund so many good things by making cannabis legal. The stress of learning to grow and chasing is incredible.

The list of benefits greatly exceeds that of cigarettes or alcohol.

When was the last time anyone heard of cannabis-fueled violence? But we hear about alcohol-fueled violence in the news every day.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

I don't get this. The government could fund so many good things by making cannabis legal. The stress of learning to grow and chasing is incredible.

The list of benefits greatly exceeds that of cigarettes or alcohol.

When was the last time anyone heard of cannabis-fueled violence? But we hear about alcohol-fueled violence in the news every day.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

What do you mean it’s the devil’s grass? One puff not even once

The marijuana will make you a terrible member of society - rape, murder, theft, violently sporadic and unpredictable, as well as the health risks you take are far greater than that of consuming Mcdonalds, alcohol, ciggys hell even coffee and water.

The reality is it all comes to money and big pharmas pushing their agenda and bible bashing politicians and their narrow minded views. Shit they probably still believe these sort of ads

4525e602efd8c04cdd07f03ed27d5e40.jpg

Edited by bakedcake

What do you mean it’s the devil’s grass? One puff not even once

The marijuana will make you a terrible member of society - rape, murder, theft, violently sporadic and unpredictable, as well as the health risks you take are far greater than that of consuming Mcdonalds, alcohol, ciggys hell even coffee and coffee.

The reality is it all comes to money and big pharmas pushing their agenda and bible bashing politicians and their narrow minded views. Shit they probably still believe these sort of ads

4525e602efd8c04cdd07f03ed27d5e40.jpg

You forgot to mention the orgy's that entail from smoking the devils lettuce.

I dont know how I can fit in a ''normal'' life whilst I'm being a burden on society, commiting crimes, listening to jazz and having wild sex parties almost every day. After I tried it once, I compleatly lost my moral compass. I'm on the downward spiral and out of control.

You forgot to mention the orgy's that entail from smoking the devils lettuce.

I dont know how I can fit in a ''normal'' life whilst I'm being a burden on society, commiting crimes, listening to jazz and having wild sex parties almost every day. After I tried it once, I compleatly lost my moral compass. I'm on the downward spiral and out of control.

Ahh yes I can’t forget the wild orgy’s, I love those fucking things.

Entirely we are what is crippling society, we are the scum of the earth.

Hey guys. Thought i'd update you all regarding the discussion about what the new South Australian government has planned. (probably worth a thread of its own but cant be arsed lol

I wrote to my local member (independent who is ex labor and still aligned to them), the current Labor leader, Mark Parnell from the Greens, SA Best and Stephen Marshall of the liberals. I won't post word for word what I wrote or the responses as it risks identifying me too much on this site but I politely expressed to them the ridiculous nature of these proposed laws, reminded them of international trends to the contrary, reminded them how much harm prohibition of cannabis causes compared to the substance itself and urged all but the liberals to put up a counter proposal to legalise tax and regulate cannabis. I mentioned how much revenue this could raise, how many jobs it would produce and how well suited the South Australian Horticultural industry is for cannabis production.  As of today, i have heard back from all but SA best.

My local member got back to me the next day and to my surprise, mentioned that for the most part she shares my concerns. She said that she would not be supporting the bill in its current form and would be expressing her concerns to the other independents. She surprisingly seemed to agree with me that cannabis would be better off legalised but said that for reform to occur, the government of the day would have to be in support and the SA liberals clearly do not share these views about cannabis. 

Labor sent me a form reply that was a cut and paste of what they said in the media. They support most of the bill in regards to organised crime and other drugs but do not support increased penalties for simple possession.

The greens reiterated their harm minimisation policies and that drug use should be treated as a health issue. Mark Parnell said that he will not be supporting this bill. He didn't bite on introducing a counter measure.

The liberals defended the policy obviously and spouted crap about health evidence of cannabis having detrimental effects of cognitive function and mental health. They did say however to clarify that cannabis possession under this bill was not going to be "re-criminalised" as I had suggested but just that the fines for possession would be increased. (Expiation notice scheme would remain but with larger fines) No specification of if 1 outdoor plant limit will remain, i haven't heard any mention of that one way or another anywhere.

In summary, not surprisingly the greens are on our side with this one, I just wish they would introduce their federal policy of legalisation in the State level sometime soon. What did surprise me was my local members almost complete agreement with what I had to say. She seemed to indicate that she would support cannabis legalisation if the political support was there but that right now its not going to work while the liberals are in government in SA. Labor will be seeking amendment to this bill and from SA Best (Nick Zenophon's independent alliance)...... Crickets

Edited by bloodshot_eyes
  • Upvote 4

Hey guys. Thought i'd update you all regarding the discussion about what the new South Australian government has planned. (probably worth a thread of its own but cant be arsed lol

I wrote to my local member (independent who is ex labor and still aligned to them), the current Labor leader, Mark Parnell from the Greens, SA Best and Stephen Marshall of the liberals. I won't post word for word what I wrote or the responses as it risks identifying me too much on this site but I politely expressed to them the ridiculous nature of these proposed laws, reminded them of international trends to the contrary, reminded them how much harm prohibition of cannabis causes compared to the substance itself and urged all but the liberals to put up a counter proposal to legalise tax and regulate cannabis. I mentioned how much revenue this could raise, how many jobs it would produce and how well suited the South Australian Horticultural industry is for cannabis production.  As of today, i have heard back from all but SA best.

My local member got back to me the next day and to my surprise, mentioned that for the most part she shares my concerns. She said that she would not be supporting the bill in its current form and would be expressing her concerns to the other independents. She surprisingly seemed to agree with me that cannabis would be better off legalised but said that for reform to occur, the government of the day would have to be in support and the SA liberals clearly do not share these views about cannabis. 

Labor sent me a form reply that was a cut and paste of what they said in the media. They support most of the bill in regards to organised crime and other drugs but do not support increased penalties for simple possession.

The greens reiterated their harm minimisation policies and that drug use should be treated as a health issue. Mark Parnell said that he will not be supporting this bill. He didn't bite on introducing a counter measure.

The liberals defended the policy obviously and spouted crap about health evidence of cannabis having detrimental effects of cognitive function and mental health. They did say however to clarify that cannabis possession under this bill was not going to be "re-criminalised" as I had suggested but just that the fines for possession would be increased. (Expiation notice scheme would remain but with larger fines) No specification of if 1 outdoor plant limit will remain, i haven't heard any mention of that one way or another anywhere.

In summary, not surprisingly the greens are on our side with this one, I just wish they would introduce their federal policy of legalisation in the State level sometime soon. What did surprise me was my local members almost complete agreement with what I had to say. She seemed to indicate that she would support cannabis legalisation if the political support was there but that right now its not going to work while the liberals are in government in SA. Labor will be seeking amendment to this bill and from SA Best (Nick Zenophon's independent alliance)...... Crickets

great stuff blood shot eyes,

I also have been writing to the pollies and getting out to protests here in SA and encourage everyone else to do the same. Good work :good:

• Upvote 1

Well, it seems we dodged a bullet. SA government backs down on jail time for cannabis possession. In this article it mentions that public response was one reason they backed down. Seems they listened to the public outcry. Wonders will never cease  :good: Still planning to increase fines the buggers but it is a significant backdown. Now we need to pressure labor and the minor parties to run on a platform of legalisation i reckon they could win on it.

The South Australian Government has backed down on a key part of its push to crack down on illegal cannabis use, and will no longer push for jail terms for cannabis possession.

At the election, the Liberals promised to launch a "war on drugs" and Vickie Chapman — now Attorney-General — promised to bring penalties for cannabis in line with other drugs like ecstasy and heroin.

That meant maximum prison terms of two years, and a quadrupling of fines from $500 to $2,000.

Cannabis possession was decriminalised in South Australia in 1987, and the most common penalty for possessing less than 25 grams is a $125 fine.

Attorney-General Vickie Chapman said the decision was made after considering the public response, and the opposition from within parliament.

She said it was important to make sure other elements of the bill were not delayed or blocked.

"The Cabinet has confirmed that they're supporting that because it's just so important.

"We've got reforms in relation to obviously commercial manufacture. We've also got important reforms on penalties, including personal use."

While the Government is backing down on prison terms, it will still push ahead with other measures in the bill, including increasing fines and only allowing offenders to go to the drug diversion program twice in a four-year period.

An ABC Adelaide social media poll on 'What should South Australia do to regulate cannabis use?' had more than 18,000 people voting in favour of decriminalisation and 723 people voting in favour of stronger penalties.

Bill would not have passed parliament as it was

The Government's move to increase prison terms faced opposition from Labor and the Greens, along with legal and medical circles.

The Law Society said the changes would clog up an already busy justice system, while health experts questioned whether the penalties would decrease use.

Deputy Opposition leader Susan Close said Labor did not support putting people in prison for possession of cannabis. 

"The community does not want to see our jails full of people simply for possessing cannabis," Dr Close said.

Likewise, Greens MLC Tammy Franks said she was glad the Liberals had "backed away from that stupid policy".

She said it was the biggest "over-reach" in the bill but not the only one.

"Quadrupling fines for personal use also has no evidence base to it other than revenue raising," Ms Franks said.

"We'll be testing that in the Upper House."

Increasing fines for cannabis possession was a recommendation of deputy coroner Anthony Schapel in his 2017 findings into the murder of 18-year-old Lewis McPherson by Liam Humbles in 2012.

Police issued Humbles with a drug diversion notice because he said cannabis in his possession was for personal use.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-20/state-government-backs-down-on-cannabis-laws/10018454

Edited by bloodshot_eyes

That's the ticket, you guys in SA have it good hey?

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

We certainly used to. From 1987 until 2001 growing up to 10 plants for personal use was decriminalised. $150 on the spot fine and plants seized was all. Things are much tighter now but we can still possess up to 30g in a public place and 500g in private and get a civil fine rather than criminal conviction. Can grow 1 non hydroponic plant outdoors with a small fine as well. They were about to tear all that up and throw us in prison for simple possession.