Heat Mats over Winter

It's coming to that time where temps drop a bit (they already have). I'm growing indoors in a large open space with the intake from outside. Because the space is large with only a small grow I can't heat using an oil heater or similar. I've done a fair bit of reading about heat mats and the consensus is to remove them after the seed pops the surface, kept on longer may result in root rot.

My temps have gone as low as 13 in the room.

Would it be ok to use the heat mat under fabric pots in winter?

Even though I use a 400w hps it doesn't really heat up the space because it's so open.

Opinions? OK to use the mat underneath during winter?

MLG

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

yeah you can use a heat mat but i think it better to heat the space with an oil heater or similar rather than just the root zone 

the direct heat can be a prob for an ever changing / increasing root system , plus a thermostat causes constant peaks & troughs

thermostat will turn off once temps have " past " the set temp & won't kick back in till it drops "below" that set temp

not that an oil / radiant heater won't do the same , it's just not so direct as heat under the root ball & the room temp fluctuations

shouldn't be as dramatic , plants like consistency & in general soil temps change slowly in turn with above ground happenings 

Hey Mary and Itchy, thanks for the feedback. Two opposing views :)

The heat pad I have doesn't have a thermostat so it wouldn't really fluctuate root temps.

As I mentioned in my post, the space is just too large to consider an oil heater and on top of that too well ventilated with my intake and outtake fans moving the air.

Mary, can I ask, how cold was your space/tent to consider the heat mats?

MLG

Hey Mary and Itchy, thanks for the feedback. Two opposing views :)

The heat pad I have doesn't have a thermostat so it wouldn't really fluctuate root temps.

As I mentioned in my post, the space is just too large to consider an oil heater and on top of that too well ventilated with my intake and outtake fans moving the air.

Mary, can I ask, how cold was your space/tent to consider the heat mats?

MLG

I can't quite remember but I'm in Tas so i did it incase it did get cold, lowest was probably 17degrees as I have a air con too.

You could always try a couple of tube heaters. My tent is in an outside laundry, so it does get cold in the room. I have a couple of small Grow Candy tube heaters in there running 24/7. At one point I was also running an oil heater just near the passive air intake to suck warm air in...

Are you running your lights overnight or during the day?

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

Hi JT, my space is too large to control the temp with a couple of tube heaters. I've got other things in the room and no tent so I'm kind of stuck in terms of heating which is why I was asking about the mats as the pots could sit directly on top (with some sort of waterproof insulation inbetween).

The lights I run during the day as it's more cost efficient for me. But I know what you're saying.. Run them at night.

I'll just deal with the cold the best I can. Got some nice purple colours on the NL.

MLG