My cuttings are dying! AAAAHHH!

should have been a bit more clear , cos i'm not sure what i was trying to convey mate lol

hardwood cuts = autumn / winter , when plants have lost there leaves & are in dormency 

semi hardwood cuts  spring / summer , which i think is what you were taking cuts of 

both will root , winter might take a lill longer though 

LAS or LABs uses the water used to wash rice B4 you cook it not the rice itself , instead of tipping the milky looking 

water down the sink you keep it , Chris Trump https://youtu.be/1Ke4OQljVmg or buildasoil https://youtu.be/5SBSgGGn0I0

both a lill diff to each other but end result is the same , it's fun to do & a small amount go's a long way went you extend with molasses 

extending with molasses you'll need a jar with airlock similar to this pic post-50689-0-75422000-1526983037_thumb.jpg

post-50689-0-23072500-1526983150_thumb.jpg post-50689-0-42388700-1526983066_thumb.jpg post-50689-0-11397400-1526983100_thumb.jpg yep any rice will work same as milk 

i used the full cream milk but you don't have to

i didn't use any rice bran like the LAS method i went with the buildasoil method above a bit easier , keep looking & you'll find a few ways 

Crude sugar yes = raw sugar , look for rapadura sugar = least processed sugar , rapadura is sugar B4 the molasses has been removed / extracted 

watch the vids there a lill diff than the LAS pic i posted &have the numbers 

7. The pure lactic acid bacteria serum can be stored in the refrigerator or simply add equal amount of crude sugar (dilute with 1/3 water) or molasses.
Do not use refined sugar as they are chemically bleached and may affect the lactic acid bacteria. The sugar or molasses will keep the lactic acid bacteria
alive at room temperature. One to one ratio is suggested although sugar, regardless of quantity is meant simply, serving as food for the bacteria to keep them alive.

8. Now, these lactic acid bacteria serum with sugar or molasses will be your pure culture. To use, you can dilute this pure culture with 20 parts water.
Make sure water is not chemically treated with, like chlorine. Remember, we are dealing with live microorganisms and chlorine can kill them. This diluted
form 1:20 ratio will be your basic lactic acid bacteria concoction. Two to four tablespoons added to water of one gallon can be used as your basic
spray and can be added to water and feeds of animals. 

No the cuts don't have to sit is a kelp aloe solution , but by doing that it can help increase your stick rate = help cutting to root 

def expensive to buy plants at a nursery & why lots of people look to starting seeds rather than cuts if poss of cause 
like apples , never bother popping apple seeds , there's more than a million to 1 chance you'll get the same apple , all the tasty apples you buy are from cuttings 

can never have enough aloe plants , especially when you start using the gel in the garden or on yourself 

i'd  use the liquid kelp or aloe or both to soak cutting you take , ive seen guys soak cuts over night so i don't think there be a prob with how long they soak 
but might not be convenient , gel might just be easier , a soil drench or foliar of the mum plant the day B4 would be good , if poss of cause 

hard to find kelp sometimes , i buy in bulk Tassie kelp http://taskelp.com/, last order was 20kg but 10kg went to someone else 
i use it in soil mixes , top dresses & teas , so gets used a bit round here , Dr greenthumb or organic gardening solutions should have it 
prob pricey , animal feed stores have it as well generally labelled as dried seaweed rather than kelp meal  

no worries anytime , good luck with it , love to here how you go 
are you identifying the plants you take cuts from , might be some tip bits of info on plants & what might work better 
for the individual cultivar  
  • Upvote 1

should have been a bit more clear , cos i'm not sure what i was trying to convey mate lol

hardwood cuts = autumn / winter , when plants have lost there leaves & are in dormency 

semi hardwood cuts  spring / summer , which i think is what you were taking cuts of 

both will root , winter might take a lill longer though 

LAS or LABs uses the water used to wash rice B4 you cook it not the rice itself , instead of tipping the milky looking 

water down the sink you keep it , Chris Trump https://youtu.be/1Ke4OQljVmg or buildasoil https://youtu.be/5SBSgGGn0I0

both a lill diff to each other but end result is the same , it's fun to do & a small amount go's a long way went you extend with molasses 

extending with molasses you'll need a jar with airlock similar to this pic attachicon.gif006.JPG

attachicon.gif012.JPG attachicon.gif009.JPG attachicon.gif010.JPG yep any rice will work same as milk 

i used the full cream milk but you don't have to

i didn't use any rice bran like the LAS method i went with the buildasoil method above a bit easier , keep looking & you'll find a few ways 

Crude sugar yes = raw sugar , look for rapadura sugar = least processed sugar , rapadura is sugar B4 the molasses has been removed / extracted 

watch the vids there a lill diff than the LAS pic i posted &have the numbers 

7. The pure lactic acid bacteria serum can be stored in the refrigerator or simply add equal amount of crude sugar (dilute with 1/3 water) or molasses.
Do not use refined sugar as they are chemically bleached and may affect the lactic acid bacteria. The sugar or molasses will keep the lactic acid bacteria
alive at room temperature. One to one ratio is suggested although sugar, regardless of quantity is meant simply, serving as food for the bacteria to keep them alive.

8. Now, these lactic acid bacteria serum with sugar or molasses will be your pure culture. To use, you can dilute this pure culture with 20 parts water.
Make sure water is not chemically treated with, like chlorine. Remember, we are dealing with live microorganisms and chlorine can kill them. This diluted
form 1:20 ratio will be your basic lactic acid bacteria concoction. Two to four tablespoons added to water of one gallon can be used as your basic
spray and can be added to water and feeds of animals. 

No the cuts don't have to sit is a kelp aloe solution , but by doing that it can help increase your stick rate = help cutting to root 

def expensive to buy plants at a nursery & why lots of people look to starting seeds rather than cuts if poss of cause 
like apples , never bother popping apple seeds , there's more than a million to 1 chance you'll get the same apple , all the tasty apples you buy are from cuttings 

can never have enough aloe plants , especially when you start using the gel in the garden or on yourself 

i'd  use the liquid kelp or aloe or both to soak cutting you take , ive seen guys soak cuts over night so i don't think there be a prob with how long they soak 
but might not be convenient , gel might just be easier , a soil drench or foliar of the mum plant the day B4 would be good , if poss of cause 

hard to find kelp sometimes , i buy in bulk Tassie kelp http://taskelp.com/, last order was 20kg but 10kg went to someone else 
i use it in soil mixes , top dresses & teas , so gets used a bit round here , Dr greenthumb or organic gardening solutions should have it 
prob pricey , animal feed stores have it as well generally labelled as dried seaweed rather than kelp meal  

no worries anytime , good luck with it , love to here how you go 
are you identifying the plants you take cuts from , might be some tip bits of info on plants & what might work better 
for the individual cultivar  

I'm quite sure they're not hardwood cuttings. Unless Rosemary counts as a hardwood cutting, but the rest are mainly just edible flowers and flowering plants that can be used for teas and herbal remedies.

Aah okay rice water makes more sense! That infographic wasn't as clear and I was wondering what happens to the grains of rice lol

Chris Trump's version seems very straight forward! Although it's interesting that in the infographic, they suggest waiting until it has a sour smell and yet Chris reckons that it's best when it smells sweet (suggesting that if it smells sour, it's been left too long). What do you think of the conflicting info based on your own experience? Do you go ahead when it smells sweet or do you wait longer until it smells sour? Don't think I'll use rice bran if you, Chris and Buildasoil don't :)

Chris trump also mentions health benefits for humans... Is he suggesting it's safe to consume? Not sure how I'd feel about drinking that lol

Have you had any experience making fermented plant extracts like buildasoil mentions at the end of his video? Seems like yet another thing to add to the reading list lol

I've got time so I might see if there's a noticeable difference between soaking cuttings overnight in the kelp/aloe solution and simply dipping it in as you would do with clonex.

Have you taken on an apprentice before? If so, can I be your next one? If not, can I be your first one? lol I need a guru/sensei/master like yourself to teach me the ways of the KNF force :D 

Thanks again for all the info Itchybro :thumbsup:

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/factsheets/cuttings-101/9437930

depends on weather you take old wood cuttings of rosemary or newer growing shoots i guess = why would you bother taking the old wood if you have nice fresh shoots to choose from 

i went with the more sweeter smell but it's also a bit cheesey , could even say a lill spew kinda smell , heavier on the cheese smell with a hint of spew lol , yum 

it's not a full sweet like a sugar smell , my dog at the time of those pics was happy  to eat the curd , cat had a bit too & liked it as well , rest went in the compost bin from memory 

Chris also said the curd was the start of making cheese , never made cheese so no idea 

what you don't see but he mentions in his buildasoil vid is extending with molasses , you can turn the small amount into a much larger amount by extending with water , molasses & fermentation 

i've gotten a bit lazy & haven't made any for a while , i buy EM-1 for the added microbes like PNSB purple non sulphur bacteria & a few others , 15 microbes in total  , this is the one i buy http://www.livingapartment.com.au/Products/Food-Supplements-Health-Care/Probiotic-Living-Beneficial-Micro-Organisms-1Ltr , have a read , food is mentioned ,also mentioned here as well as the comment " Tastes Like Ass " https://youtu.be/FyFMQrWDi4I i've never taken a shot but teraganix do a human grade EM-1

the one i get is imported from here https://www.scdprobiotics.com/ProBio-Balance-Plus-p/a152-1.htm unless something changed since asking living apartments about there EM-1 some time ago , you can get the teraganix version here in oz check teraganix website for the oz partner / contact 

now you can extend EM-1 even though it already has been extended you can do it one more time , taking 1lt & turning it into over 20lts , the liter you buy shelf life 6-12mths

the extended version you make from that 3mths , so depending on how much your using , 1lt should last you at least a year , in saying that you can use it for lots of stuff , you use it at 7.5ml per liter for soil drench 

& 1/4 of that for foliar , def use as part of you IPM weekly sprays 

no i haven't made a FPE https://www.teraganix.com/EM-Fermented-Plant-Extract-s/259.htm & https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0248/9641/files/Do_It_Yourself_Homemade_Plant_Fertilizers_Revised.pdf

great idea , for instance , if you have PM that hits almost all plants in your garden but there are a few plants that don't ever get PM , then make a FPE out of the growing tips of that plant & use the resulting 

extract as a foliar spray for the plants that do get it for a instant IPM protection 

i like SST's sprouted seed teas , alfalfa barley corn coconut water ( coconut just a big bloody seed) clover hemp , all kinds of seeds all have a bunch of start of life enzymes 

plus pgr's naturally occurring plant growth regulators https://buildasoil.com/blogs/video-blog/14096797-sprouted-seed-tea-tutorial

def give soaking the cuts a go , i soak them & dip them in the freeze dried aloe powder i have , human drink powder , pure inner leaf aloe 

Nah never had a apprentice & def not that smart ,very happy to offer whatever i can to help , a few PM me & ask Q's 

it's all good , but i have no qualifications though , just research on google & regurgitating info from people allot smarter than i 

happy to help anytime 

no probs 

itchy 

Ps i sometime miss stuff you've asked while typing a reply so just ask again , hopefully i get it the second time round 

Edited by itchybromusic