Outdoors

Looking to grow in the scrub this year and i was just wondering what is the best way to do it. Thinking of spreading the plants out so that if 1 gets found the others may not. Problem is how do i keep the kangaroos and rabbits away. Was told blood and bone will deter the rabbits but what i guess i am really asking is there any other way of stopping them besides putting chicken wire around them. Wouldnt the plants stand out more to people walking through the scrub with wire around them? Any help would be great.

Cheers :unsure:

Hey Budz,

I've been thinking of the same thing as well mate and what I came up with was, while I was at the market the other week I came across a pack of bamboo poles.

There would of been about 20 or so in the packet for about $4. The idea that went through my head ::ph34r:: , was that the poles are about 4ft, well stake them into the ground around the plant and use fishing line to tether them off.

The bloody beauty about the bamboo poles is they're dark green so no worries about them sticking out in the wilderness :blink: ..

Also you may want to look into blending the plants into the surrounding foliage as well as spacing them well apart, (not 100's metres though mate).. The one thing with that is that you're going to have to take into account the plants receiving the most amount of sunlight without compromising the grow position..

Do a thorough RECON and remember the six P's buddy, PRIOR PREPERATION PREVENTS PISS POOR PERFORMANCE... :unsure:

It's going to depend a lot on what kind of scrub you're going to grow in.

If you're lucky enough to have a lot of lantana around, you can plant in hollowed out spots in the clumps. Tie the plants around, and keep their heads down to the height of the lantana.

Things stick out from the air like dog's nuts, so you're doing well to keep that in mind. I've been trying to get a picture of mine back off a mate to post here for some while. Th e plants were about 8 feet tall in full flower. I had them hidden inside a clearing of button bush beside a Bunya Nut tree. It had full sun on them all day and they looked dark dark green. Standing next to the plants, they looked identical in colour to the button bush which was also obviously dark green. No prob. I thought.

However, a freind took a picture of the crop from about 300metres up in his plane. The plants stood out like mad. I thought that the dark green plants next to dark green button bush would make them impossible to see from the air.

Well from the air, they appeared a light but very fluorescent green. I mean they looked like they were glowing. I guess the sun refected off the tric. soaked heads. The heads were in fact very resinous, and so that's all I can figure. The crop was busted a couple weeks later.

I don't know how to overcome this problem, but I now know why the cops can pick them out so easy from the sky. I'll try phoning my freind again to track down the pic. it has to be seen to believed.

Now, for the animals. If you're planting were there's a population of dingoes, you're in real luck. I used to take some fencing wire, and tie some good chunky shanks from a cow. We used to butcher our own meat. So I used to leave some meat on the bones, and tie them all around the grows. No vegetable eating animal would come within miles of the patches. The dingoes even camped around the patches, chewing on the bones. Had my own gaurd dogs :ph34r:. I had one patch that was about a kilometre from my house. I could here them fighting over the bones right up on the hill!

Anyway, u can buy some bones from the butchers surely and tie them around. Even if there's no dingoes around your grow, domestic animals might wonder over. It's loads better than carrying crap around the place.

rob

I can't really say mate. The problem with tieing them down is that of course, at some time, they have to go up. Even if it's the last few weeks.

But whatever the shape is, the problem I see is the glowing effect of the heads under the sun. I really hope I can get this pic posted. I think every grower that is doing it outside should see dope from the sky, so they know what they're up against.

When I saw what it looked like from the sky, I stopped growing outside. There were many factors that influenced that, but man it unsettled me.

Of course, people get away with it every day, as I did for years. So please don't let me put anyone off planting outside. I consider it the most fullfilling way to grow, and miss it sorely.

But navsat, it's just the almost supernatural glow that is the prob. The shape of my plants were typical christmas tree plants. So they really stood out alright. I had 8 plants in the patch and you could count them easily destinguishable one from the other.

Cheers

rob

Guest Urbanhog

If you are only growing few plants, not a "huge crop", try grow them up the tree, in pots filled with rich soil and water crystals, as people look for pot in ground/eye level, but not up the trees, This is a a lot hassle climbing up the trees, and check, etc.. and you gotta worry about possums and birds.

Other way is if the the scrubs is hip level, etc, try to bend the plants over and grow them hortizially, some reports say you get bigger yeilds due more light spreading the plants more evenly, tried this method few times, they turned out awesome, had a lot of "heads" rather than one big main "head", this method you get several nice sized "heads". Rather than having "Xmas Tree" style pot plant, you get sort of like a lot of "little trees" growing upwards, from the main branch.

Also you could try these "pest off" sprays supposely to keep pests, pets, animals away....but the hassle is that these sprays have to be re-sprayed every few weeks because of rains, etc.. making the terriority senses weaker, etc...

Try to grow them where it's in similar greenish colour areas, not in dry areas as Marijuana bright dark green colours is easily picked up by these helicopters from the sky.

When growing in the bush, try to have several different tracks leading to the crop, sort of like a maze, rather than have one main track, as you will be walking over the track again and again, and it will be easier for bushwalkers to follow the tracks, so have different tracks, and walk different track everytime to walk to your crops.....This will need a lot of planning and memorising so you won't get lost :ph34r:

The problem with growing outdoors is that if your crop is busted, the cops can moniter it and bust you the next time you go to check up on it. I knew someone who got busted that way. He went out to water his plants, and the second he got off his bike he saw a cop car coming down the highway at a distance. He headed back to the city and lost the car but got another one, which he lost but then got another one. Eventually he gave up and the cops told him he was never going to get away as they had a chopper on him the whole time.