How to ask psychiatrist for cannabis prescription

Chrystal

Question

I have been seeing a psychiatrist for 11 years this february i'm abit of a head case main problem is schitzophrania,major depression i have been on highest doses of antipsychotic and anti depressants for around 10 of those years

Now about 1 year ago my treating dr reduced my medication 1/4th the dose and around 5 6 months later i went off the rails like a absolute lunatic so me dr bumped up the medication again

Now looking at research on the medications in long term use they should be stopped after 10 years this is probably why the dr was reducing my medication, the medication has left me feeling motionless, unmotivated, find it hard to show effection and love new people to my life

The anti depressants are pretty much a root around they have done nothing for me

I have a appointment coming up and i think i am going to ask the dr if i can go onto the legal weed he will likely say no but what are some questions i should ask or tell him

Is there anything in particular i should mention?

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Hey Indy,

For a long time I was very similar to yourself, but now I'm in the predicament I am and I think, "...to hell with it, this is where I've been and this is who I am...". Don't get me wrong here, there are certain comments/subjects where I could put in my 10c worth but think better of it. Sometimes it's because I could inflame a situation or some comments that enrage me. I know this 'cos it's already occurred. A comment may be needed but I ask myself "Should I?" In all honesty if I'm asking myself "Should I?" then 90% of the time the answer is "No". I'm either going to rage or insult, so I 'try' to say nil. Let someone else comment, often someone will say exactly what I think anyway, so +1 is my only input.

With subjects such as this one I have some first hand experience, which may be of value to others. Some of the routes I have taken I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy, but even if one person can learn from my cock ups (of which there have been many) then they haven't been a wasted (no pun intended) experience. Just like growing a crop "It's all a learning" and as I said before in regards to growing, but in life too, "....If anyone tells you they know it all. It's BULLSHIT..."

There's a song called "The Sunscreen song" from back in 1999. And this is the sort of thing I try to pass on. Not the song, but it's content.

Others want to listen, great. Others don't, that's fine too.

"...it has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience...".

Merl1n

Edited by merl1n
  • Upvote 1

Tarring patients with the same brush, while denying cannabis' efficacy in both mental and physical pain mitigation is understated by most GP's, in my experince, due to the lack of robust research and has been replaced with prescriptions that fall WAY short of the long term stratergies needed by these patients.

Also a big thank you to all who have contributed on this topic. Your courage to talk openly is bravery personified.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 1

Hmmm, Bravery? I don't consider it as bravery, more acceptance of an ugly reality. We can all deny reality, push it away and ignore it. But in doing so one day it may or (as is my situation) it will raise its ugly head and bite you in the arse. I could run away and hide from it (I tried that for a while (Years), ohh what a mess) or I can grab it by the horns, thrash the shit out of it, pull it apart, analyse it and accept the ugly reality of it all. Hell, I make that sound simple. IT AIN'T. It has taken years and years for me to work through it all and I'm still not at a point where I feel that I fully accept it all. Yes, I acknowledge it and some days I have no choice but to accept it. But then there are other days that I fight like hell against accepting that "I can't" do as before anymore. On those days when I drive myself into the ground, come the following my body tells me "Well, fuck you, drive me into the ground? Here, have a dose of this" **AGONY** "That'll teach ya". Some IDIOTS (me) need to learn the hard way. DOH

I'm a moderator on another site and it's interesting, people talk about 'acceptance' and this is something I have found just so, so difficult. I don't want to accept "THIS".
In my "Former life" I had a job to do, a role to fulfil. It gave me a direction, something to aim for. I had responsibilities that gave me a level of self respect, a level of dignity. Well, now, that's all evaporated, so now what?
"Societal Norms" also gives us roles. A man's role is to provide and I can't. A man's role is to do the 'heavy lifting' and I can't.
And not being offensive to our female members here AT ALL!!! But a "traditional" women's role is in the home ie What does the word wife stand for? Washing Ironing Food Etc (JOKE)

This is no longer the case, those traditional societal norms are not 'norms' anymore and haven't been for a while, but some blokes have found that change VERY difficult and some haven't changed their "ugg, me man, me strong" views.
Now, I have to change and change is HARD. I now have to do things within my new limits, new parameters and not by choice. I have to change the way in which I approach a task. I have to think before I do things. Analyse the way I do the task. How can I reduce the stress? How can I make it easier? How long can I do it for before it becomes 'too much'? Think of the consequences before hand. And this is all very foreign, strange because I've never had to do it before. Before I had a task and I did it, but I can't anymore. This is my new reality and I HATE IT absolutely FUCKING HATE IT.
I can fight against it and fight hard, but the REALITY is, I have no choice. Fighting against it isn't bravery, it's STUPIDITY.

Merl1n

Edited by merl1n
  • Upvote 1

We all have our cross to bare in life, baring ya sole isn't really my thing, not even sure i got one

There is no point running away, you need to face your battles head on, anything less just prolongs the agony and recovery time, (if you have something you can recover from)

For the acceptance of your lot in life, will make you a lot happier, then not accepting it and sooking(probably coulda used a better word) about it, either that or work as hard as you can to change it, if you can

and yes i know a little bit about all sorts of shit involved with this thread, either friend's, family or first hand

good luck to all that are battling, hope you win your fight

• Upvote 1

Hammer? WTF?? are you fuckin kidding me.

You've gotta be bat shit crazy, not schizophrenic, not bipolar, BAT SHIT CRAZY, Mr Brownstone ain't got the answers either. You're mad to be even considering that path, it's a vortex that'll suck you right to the bottom

You want/need rock bottom? heroin it's the fast train, the fast train to the bottom of hell.

"Heroin has anti psychotic properties...", maybe for some, in exactly the right measure. But with heroin its effective dose needs to be continually increased to maintain therapeutic dosage. Increase on top of increase on top of incr......That's not therapeutic, that's addiction.

Ahhh no thanks, been there done that, even have the tattoo to prove it lol

Any young fellas reading this PLEASE, PLEASE do not be following this man's advice.

Edited by merl1n

just about every addict started with a dabble ,,and a dabble here and one there can get out of hand with the best of us.

So sorry but I think to advise anyone to dabble in heroin is recklessly irresponsible,and to give that advice to someone with

Mental issues is kinda beyond my comprehension.

Not meaning to offend ( as it seems in this thread I need to say that ). But your advice is dumb shit.

• Upvote 1