How to ask psychiatrist for cannabis prescription

Chrystal

Question

I have been seeing a psychiatrist for 11 years this february i'm abit of a head case main problem is schitzophrania,major depression i have been on highest doses of antipsychotic and anti depressants for around 10 of those years

Now about 1 year ago my treating dr reduced my medication 1/4th the dose and around 5 6 months later i went off the rails like a absolute lunatic so me dr bumped up the medication again

Now looking at research on the medications in long term use they should be stopped after 10 years this is probably why the dr was reducing my medication, the medication has left me feeling motionless, unmotivated, find it hard to show effection and love new people to my life

The anti depressants are pretty much a root around they have done nothing for me

I have a appointment coming up and i think i am going to ask the dr if i can go onto the legal weed he will likely say no but what are some questions i should ask or tell him

Is there anything in particular i should mention?

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

So only a neurologist can properly diagnose to a actuate level? Even then last i asked (1 month ago) ceratonin levels still could not be tested which is a major issue with depression

It's usually psychiatrists after the neurologists are satisfied that it's not a tumour or other nasty causing the symptoms.

Serotonin levels only really matter in those parts of the cortex where it's acting as a neurotransmitter. That means grabbing a biopsy to measure it and nobody wants to have bits of their brain taken out just for measuring drug levels....so getting the dose right for a selective serotonin re-uptake inhibiter (SSRI drug...) requires titration under clinical supervision - ie start with a dose and go up or down depending on how the patient is doing - or in other words professional guideline driven guesswork. Psychiatry is a mix of science and art.

• Upvote 1

They tried to tell me I was bi polar , I told him I was just surrounded by idiots most of time , wouldn't u get the shits a bit more

Never had it all , bit depressed maybe cause my dog just died , quack

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

sorry to learn about your dog passing. I know your distress.

I didn't read this yesterday, had a little to do. Really sorry. Do you know what caused it?

Most doctors don't even know how to properly wean someone off ssri anti depressants but they're all quick enough to perscribe!

I have heard many laughable suggestions from doctors such as ( let's reduce it by quarter) which is just down right dangerous and arrogant.

Another suggestion I got was take one pill miss the next and so forth for a week or so and should be good! What a fuckin joke! I have had doctors try deliberately agitate me to try and get an out burst , but I'm to old and smart for that shit .

This is not directed at you Dr Nelson I'm sure your a genltleman.

Large doses of ssri need to be tapered off over a considerable amount of time other wise there will be problems most doctors will not condone this as it involves breaking capsules open and counting the small balls inside so you can slowly reduce the dose over months.

Because big pharma don't make small doses to wean with because they want you to remain on said poison for ever.

Through a lot of research and no help from the health system because they won't help you off this stuff.

Look for a new doctor crystal he's had 11 years and where's he got you?

• Upvote 1

Hey Oldfark,

No offence intended AT ALL. My statement was "....has become a little more refined...." and not meant as 'totally refined'. When comparing such a mental health diagnosis to 30-40yr ago when anything regarding psychological health was considered 'Crazy', it's been somewhat refined. There are simply too many variables for a pin point refinement and although 'some' neurologist and 'some' psychologists make out they have all of the answers, their own self confidence is more ego than exact science in my experience. They all work on 'theory', in other words it's a semi educated guess. 99.9% of these mental health practitioners have NEVER personally experienced such health issues and most of those who have are no longer in practise. The may have seen it in others, they may have assisted patients to manage their condition, be that by counselling or medications, but never have experienced such a condition themselves. The medical fraternity in general are great in making out they know EVERYTHING and have ALL the answers. The fact is they don't.

I STRONGLY believe that Joe Public has placed these dr's on a pedestal for many years and now they themselves believe they deserve this admiration and respect, almost to the point where some believe they should be deities (gods) AND they are far, far from it.

I do hope this clarifies my point Oldfark and again No offence was intended AT ALL. I apologise if any was taken.

Merl1n