Brownie's 7 holes and a tub

So thought I'd make a mix up for the tub get that sorted and let it sit for few days b4 I put some seeds in (3 formula 1, 1red poison, freebies- 1 bloody skunk and 1 Mexican airlines) 6 auto's, got all the goodies from Organic Gardening Solutions nice products but did find when measured out with some items that were sold as 25 lt were only 20lt with a few items × 5 it does add up (not really having a spit just letting others know) anyways I ended up with 40 lts premium aeration mix 20 lts vermiculite and 5 or so lts rice hulls 65 lts all up, so 65 lts peat moss, 40 lts worm castings and 15 lts home compost worked out just under 7 cubic ft, added following amendments to suit, kelp meal, neem, oyster shell flour, gypsum, malted barley, alfalfa meal and bokashi, gave her a good ol mix and bob's your uncle. Put a layer of cane mulch on top of sand in tub then added soil mix then top dressed with thin layer of cane mulch, kelp, alfalfa meal, barley, neem and worm castings, then a layer of cane mulch on top and then watered in with a hummus tea. I'll put some marygolds and alyssium in get them going try and start some good bug thing happening.

Cheers all

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

post-61073-150980114629_thumb.jpg

post-61073-150980129895_thumb.jpg

post-61073-150980149535_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

sounds great mate 

i didn't see you mention any rock dust in your mix 

is that fermented insect frass , couldn't see it on  ogs website 

wonder where that comes from , i tried getting the good bug shop in oz 

to look at selling the frass but they said it wouldn't be good in a vegge garden 

due to something in there production , sounded a lill toxic but that is just my 

impression from what he said , not what he actually said 

as far as measurements go it could come down to the container 

or whatever each of you used to measure out quantities 

i have 2 diff buckets here that say there 20lt but the full contents of one will not fit in the other 

i would still mention it to ogs you were short , they might need to check there measuring device 

i've used a 1lt long life milk container to check measurements when i thought what i ordered looked short  

sounds great mate

i didn't see you mention any rock dust in your mix

is that fermented insect frass , couldn't see it on ogs website

wonder where that comes from , i tried getting the good bug shop in oz

to look at selling the frass but they said it wouldn't be good in a vegge garden

due to something in there production , sounded a lill toxic but that is just my

impression from what he said , not what he actually said

as far as measurements go it could come down to the container

or whatever each of you used to measure out quantities

i have 2 diff buckets here that say there 20lt but the full contents of one will not fit in the other

i would still mention it to ogs you were short , they might need to check there measuring device

i've used a 1lt long life milk container to check measurements when i thought what i ordered looked short

Yeh unfortunately I don't know how I overlooked the rock dust should of def been in mix, would it possible to lift top dress of mulch and sprinkle some around and mix into the top 6 inches water in then re top dress. For my measuring I used an old 20lt paint drum main item that was short was the airation mix but they do say approx. But a good plus for them was when ordering there was 1 item that wouldn't click up for 2 so after paying for purchase I emailed them told them I needed an extra 1 and would fix them up when pickup, they bought it along and thru it in as a freebie plus the insect frass and another little freebie pack, not sure why it's not on their site either, they did say to mix in a tea and top feed. Thanks for dropping in itchy and any other info you could throw at me would be great for me and any others following and hope I get some nice plants out of it.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

you can def top dress the rock dust 

no need to lift anything  just top dress over you cane mulch 

sprinkle on top & give the cane mulch a bit of a shake with your hand 

to help it fall though the mulch layer 

but don't be to fused about getting the dust down low 

the mulch layer will get consumed & shrink  , you'll then add more stuff to the 

mulch layer , rock dust being one of them 

def nice to have RD in the mix but shouldn't be to much of a prob that it's not 

yeah the frass is mainly for the benne's & the chitin in the bug poo which is called frass 

just like calling worm poo castings 

where did the idea for putting the cane mulch at the bottom of your mix in the sip bath 

come from 

i ask cause wicking works best i think with an even mix / all the same , is in place 

i found in a smaller sip if i tried to load the container with a soilless media , using handfuls 

& packing down to try & stop as much media as post falling though the great into the rez 

then just added the rest of the media on top , without packing it down 

this caused some wicking issues , i think because the soil media was uneven in it's density 

i've only started not that long ago with sips , def no expert on the probs they might or might not have 

I can learn a lot from you two. I like your tub setup Mr. Brown. A lot more advanced and complex than I have the time, space, resources to setup but I’m trying to absorb as much as possible. If I was reading your posts 3 months ago it would have made no sense to me. Now a lot of this stuff is coming together in my head. Thanks for the education. Speaking of education. What is your background itchy as you seem to be more than just an avid enthusiast :-) that’s if you feel comfortable elaborating but at the same time not giving away too much ;-)

Sent from my iPad using OZ Stoners

I can learn a lot from you two. I like your tub setup Mr. Brown. A lot more advanced and complex than I have the time, space, resources to setup but I’m trying to absorb as much as possible. If I was reading your posts 3 months ago it would have made no sense to me. Now a lot of this stuff is coming together in my head. Thanks for the education. Speaking of education. What is your background itchy as you seem to be more than just an avid enthusiast :-) that’s if you feel comfortable elaborating but at the same time not giving away too much ;-)

Sent from my iPad using OZ Stoners

thanks mate 

in short , i'm a nobody 

no uni degree hoop dee doo or anything like that 

started adult life as a muso / bass player , till i got sick 

in the music world , doesn't take long to be forgotten as the next gen move though , no probs , the way it is 

been growing off & on from late teens / early twenties , til now at 49yo 

have always grown organic , never considered anything else , was lucky to have met an old school dealer

who showed me the diff between organically grown & synth grown , even since then i've been trying to grow 

healthier plants , never really new what that meant , just new when they looked healthy they smelt better & worked better  

so off i went looking for the good bottles of juice to feed my plants but noticed the juice didn't seem to make much diff if the 

plant wasn't well , also seeing guys using water & not much else having healthier plants 

from then on it was all about plant health & food would take care of it's self 

this is why i'm playing with sips , by having a constant moisture level & decent beneficial herd , photosynthesis is increased 

higher photosynthesis is directly related to plant health , higher photosynthetic rate = increased plant health 

i'm just googling & reading / watching & more importantly "doing" = F'ing up heaps 

this is why i say have a test plant for anything new you want to try , cause i haven't done that in the past & paid the price for being a know it all

or i've just followed someone else who lives in a diff part of the world with diff conditions   

so yeah after all that BS i'm just an avid enthusiast mate 

who wants to grow the best gear in town :)

you can def top dress the rock dust

no need to lift anything just top dress over you cane mulch

sprinkle on top & give the cane mulch a bit of a shake with your hand

to help it fall though the mulch layer

but don't be to fused about getting the dust down low

the mulch layer will get consumed & shrink , you'll then add more stuff to the

mulch layer , rock dust being one of them

def nice to have RD in the mix but shouldn't be to much of a prob that it's not

yeah the frass is mainly for the benne's & the chitin in the bug poo which is called frass

just like calling worm poo castings

where did the idea for putting the cane mulch at the bottom of your mix in the sip bath

come from

i ask cause wicking works best i think with an even mix / all the same , is in place

i found in a smaller sip if i tried to load the container with a soilless media , using handfuls

& packing down to try & stop as much media as post falling though the great into the rez

then just added the rest of the media on top , without packing it down

this caused some wicking issues , i think because the soil media was uneven in it's density

i've only started not that long ago with sips , def no expert on the probs they might or might not have

Thanks itchy good to know can top dress the rock dust into it will order this week and add when back from work. With the cane mulch on top of sand in wicking bed is just from rob bob on youtube he did say it would eventually breaks down so see how it goes

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Ahhh...a muso. I play also. Let’s me escape and relax. Well your years and experience obviously show. Well starting off a test plant worked for me. GQ has been invaluable and also her simple approach was not as overwhelming. I find a lot of people get caught up in the complexities in the beginning and go crazy and have nothing but problems. As for the test plant. I have a monster of a tomato plant growing :-). Thanks for sharing. Cheers.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app