Long time smoker, first time grower

Good to hear you'll post your progress. B)

But aye, Qld isn't much better than the rest of the country when it comes to growing. A case of Sunny one day, Smash your plants the next! :D

Spring leading into Summer, expect hail and storms, then Christmas onwards, don't be too surprised if a cyclone pays you a visit, any time right up until late may.

Lost fully matured plants in late april before because of excessive rain for two weeks and had no choice but to pull them, just couldn't get the moisture out of the buds and most of it rotted. Only salvaged about 10% of it all.

So yeah, not so wonderful all the time. lol

Hey johnny boy

For what its worth, i was always under impression seedling dont like perlite ect in the mix

As u started in jiffys which is a nice smooth peat mix, they did ok up to the point roots hit that rough and granular medium u made

If i was u i would pull jiffys out and transplant into a nice smooth seed raising mix, give roots a chance to spread without hitting granular material

This could be utter garbage advice as only got 7 mths growing under my belt

Just my 2 cents

Good luck and welcome by the way

bob

Never had a prob using perlite for seedlings .But it's not the best medium to be using outside ,especially in small pots .

A warm sunny day will dry the shit out too quick. Your probably best to repot into a more outdoors suitable medium.

Perlite and vermiculite mix is better suited for indoor growing.

Edited by Serrated edge

Cheers fellas,

Fuck me this growing is confusing, there's so much conflicting info out there haha. I'll get them into something a bit better see if they come good.

Haha yeah Indy the Mrs family is up there, when it rains it pours ay! I'm a bit worried about the rain and humidity down here too. I get powdery mildew on a couple of me bonsais through summer, no real issue but I'm guessing this can't be a good sign for the beautiful buds I'm hoping for.

Can I just turn this post into a journal or would it be better to start a new thread?

Nah, it's pretty easy, JD. Just keep it simple, and you'll get good results before you know. It's only when you try and do too much is when a lot of the issues arise.

Give them as much direct sunlight as you can for the entire day, and don't over water them. and when you do water them, avoid the middle (heat) of the day, try and do it either morning or afternoon.

If they do look like they're struggling and drying out in the heat. Put them in the shade for 15-30 minutes then water them, and leave them in the shade for a couple of hours before returning to direct sunlight. You may have to re-pot them if you find that they're drying out too quickly.

As for a journal, it's up to you, mate. :)

I had one like that once. Stem was too long so I just put more seedling mix around the stem so it was buried a bit deeper. Came good eventually as a seedling but every time I watered it would droop and take a day or two to recover. Then I'd let it dry out till it almost started to droop from underwatering then watered again and it would droop. Can be a viscous cycle sometimes but just be patient and get them in a lot of sunlight. Be patient and don't water unless the pot feels really light to pick up. Then water slowly. A slow even water. Just a bit. Then have a joint. Coffee. Bong. Whatever. Then go back and check for run off. A bit more water. Repeat. Then check until you get run off. Having a bong in between checking is very important in my opinion. This allows time for the water to penetrate slower and get the mix evenly soaked. And you'll get evenly stoned! Edited by Inthewoods

This is my method of raising seedlings.. https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/gallery/album/1708-hmm/

In a foam tomato box instead of individual small pots, the reasoning behind it is because they are in direct sunlight for the entire day, the water content within the medium remains more stable than what it would in smallish pots. The small pots in my region can dry out within a couple of hours and in turn have the seedling wilt and die. So yeah, I've found this method has improved my success rate considerably, and it only requires watering once or twice a week during the Spring to Autumn growing period. Usually when the top of the potting mix has dried right out, it indicates when it requires watering again. Utilising the K.I.S,S. method where ever possible (Keep It Simple, Stupid).

Hey Indy. Are you sure that's the correct link? Wouldn't work for me. Just a really old thread from 2003. Sorry if I'm missing something, I didn't read it all

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app