Carbon Filter Size

Hey Gazza,

Jeebuz, that's a bit brutal.

I train my girl from young, not beat the old bitch into submission. That's savage IMO lol

Nice results that's for sure.

I use 3 nets, one steel legged table covered in steel mesh, for training and 2 trailer nets above for support.

But that's basically the same sort of set up I do with my SCROG, pot/plant in the middle and grow her out like a starfish.

Hey Tim,

You can try your 8 if you wish, BUT, When you go 12/12, believe me!!!! the growth is going to overwhelm that entire space. Too much growth is going to reduce your air flow. Reduced airflow can cause BIG problems with mould, especially in flower. Some people place lights underneath their SCROG nets to get the lower growth to bloom,(not something I'd recommend) if you have a water issue and flood your space a light on the floor is simply DANGEROUS. Personally I strip all of the undergrowth out to assist with airflow.

Here's a link to a pic of before and after https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/12055-all-join-in-just-a-pic-dump/page-337?do=findComment&comment=399843

Just remember, more plants does not mean more buds in a confined space.

Hope it helps

Merl1n

Yeah it would probably set one back a good 7-10 days for it to bounce back, i agree its brutal haha but it seems like a very quick way to scrog i'd love to do something like it on two tables that would be fun! :D

Merl1n's right about 8 plants when they hit stretch.  I do 8 regularly in that size tent, and you'd be surprised at how small they need to be when you flip the lights.  Have a look through my last couple of diaries for a bit of an idea on managing those numbers in that space, cause if you flip too late you will have absolute chaos.

Me, I'd have them under a single 600w HPS now, 18/6 schedule, which would also allow you to piss the heat mat off, just start with the light about 80cm above them.

Ppl recommending go big which I understand...Most filters have about a 5cm layer of carbon so the longer/bigger the filter is the more surface area for the air to run over - the slower the better the air runs over the carbon the better it's scrubbed.

So...The difference between for example the Phresh and cheaper models (filtaroo, growlush) that ppl don't recommend is what exactly? The grade or size of the carbon granuals or pellets? Why pick the Phresh or mountain air?

Any insight appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

I got a cheap one off ebay and as others have said they are pretty shit, doesn't even do a good job on a small tent and it's 150x500mm. I will be replacing it after one grow to something better.

Ok, I was just interested in the actual differences between the good and bad ones. The way the carbon is packed seems like one thing mentioned. Either way, I'm going to buy the Phresh 200 x 500 unless someone has another brand which worked well for them.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Dunno what the actual differences are, probably grade and packing of carbon granules, and quality of construction on the carcass of the filter itself I'd imagine.  But I do know from unfortunate experience that the cheap ones let a small amount of smell through from the start, and it gets worse quickly, making them a risky waste of money as their whole purpose is total and constant odour removal.  The Phresh one's I've used since are completely effective and reliable, and last a good long time, so even at twice the price they represent extremely good value.  Can't comment on other brands, but I'm sure the good ones are all as good as the Phresh.

• Upvote 1

If u haven't bought a fan for your filter yet look at the Westaflex 150mm 3 Speed Centrifugal fan i just bought one for $150 on special fuck its that quiet its quieter than a 100mm metal centrifugal fan off ebay by a mile! the Westaflex fan all u can hear is the air moving there is absolutely no motor noise, mine on level 1 u cant even hear the fan running i have to keep checking it hasn't turned off, on level 3 (high setting) is a little bit quieter than a 150mm axle fan that Hydro Experts sell and its just all air wooshing no jet noise or turbine sound

here it is scroll down to 150mm low profile 3 speed fan http://www.westaflex.com.au/product/ventilation/ac-centrifugal-inline-fans/

Edited by Gazza2001au
  • Upvote 1

The can filter I had was on its 5th or 6th grow in that little wardrobe I had and it was still going in the tent when taken.  Phresh or can for mine.  I just bought a cheap one and I am paying the price for poor quality. As soon as I opened it little bits of carbon are coming out and if I shake it it rattle fml lol

Faith :sun:    

The can filter I had was on its 5th or 6th grow in that little wardrobe I had and it was still going in the tent when taken.  Phresh or can for mine.  I just bought a cheap one and I am paying the price for poor quality. As soon as I opened it little bits of carbon are coming out and if I shake it it rattle fml lol

Faith :sun:    

Rattle in a filter is not a good sign, My filter is 150x450 there about's its from SOLOS bought it a few years ago works well but it does have carbon falling into the inside compartment of the filter