Noob here - and quite desperate (nutrients, medium, etc)

Instead of thinking in brands think of what the plant wants in a soil to grow to its max potential

proper drainage, this is a must hooch hates wet feet with no oxygen, when it comes to drainage it is worthwhile nutting this out for yourself research what different things will do for you perlite, vermiculate, coco, peat moss even water crystals. All these things have a purpose when adding to your own mix, no what it is and what you want from anythnig before you add it

Correct PH When it comes to growing nice healthy canna, PH is of the utmost importance to have right, dont get it right or say yeah close enough and u are asking for trouble from the start, take the time to test it let it sit for a few days testing all the while, if its stable after that ur good to go.

I grow in soil and like to add little things each year, this year i added to my soil mix more coco as i loved how well it improved drainage of m,y soil, next year i will need to start all over but it pretty easy.

Nutrients dont matter that much really as long as you give the right ones at the right time powerfeed from bunno or anything from there is ok.

Bunnings potting mix by itself is probably rubbish yeah but dont be shy to pay 3.95 a bag for their compost to bulk up your soil, saves dollars and once you start mixing a few litres the price adds up.

Next season im going to put a plant directly into bag of their compost then only water it for the season with straight water and see what happens.

Have fun, mix and match, learn from your own mistakes and dont rely too much on forums for ur answers.

research research research

I don't see all the fuss unless your doing 15 plus 15 litre pots or bigger, for 12 litre pots i just run 4x 10 litre buckets thru each pot its a good idea to premix the perlite with the coco to aid in the flushing process

flushing 100% coco you'll be there for years haha

i use to buy the 100L bags of perlite from the hydro shop but walking out with it looks a bit stand-outish especially when the bags use to be bright yellow and say PERLITE in big writing lol

i now buy my bags of perlite from bunnings it cost much more around $20-$25 per 10-15L bag but people shopping at bunnings probably wouldnt even have a clue what your doing or buying