Noob here - and quite desperate (nutrients, medium, etc)

hi guys,

I started growing indoor in a space bucket.

Seed: Super Skunk

Where: Indoor + Space Bucket Space Bucket

config: http://imgur.com/a/iVDPP

5 gal bucket (now the lights configuration is different, bulbs are facing down, attached to the lid, not on the side of the bucket anymore)

2 spacers (so i can adjust height)

2 Philips LED 9W bulbs

2 Philips CFL 24W

5 mt LED strip

Exhaust fan on the lid of the bucket Intake fan at the bottom 

Bucket is been black taped to avoid light leak

Timer for lights on power supply

Now I'm using bottled water for watering, ph of my tap water is over 7

Temp in bucket between 25 and 29

Humidity between 40 and 60

I started on the 11th of January with one seedling, in cheap shit bunnings potting mix, after 3 weeks it wasn't growing much, I  tried to transplant in potting mix with perlite, during transplant I messed up the roots, end up throwing it away.

On the 15th of January I started with another seedling, this is how it looks now: http://imgur.com/a/C3ngY yellow top leaves, brown tips, bottom leaves curled down, top leaves curling up. Soil is shit cheap potting mix from bunnings. A little bit of perlite. I overwatered initially, as typical noob mistake.

This on was planted around the same time, http://imgur.com/a/tK8QG so like around the 16th of january, its been trasnplanted from cheap soil to same type of soil but with 40-50% perlite. brown edges. i gave the plant some nutrients yesterday, the seasol red bottle.

Now, I'm obviously fucked it up big time. I read few post on this forum, and theres so many different opinion about medium, nutes, etc.

I would like to save these 2 babies, but I have seeds left and can start over with a proper set up. I invested quite a bit in my bucket and my time, so I'm here seeking your help: how to fix these 2 plants and what sort of medium should I use and what nutrients and when to use them. I've read about Canna Terra is an amazing soil to use.

I'm just reading and reading about growing, nutes, watering, lights, etc, on millions of website and I'm confused AF.

PS: I've read of this nasty white bugs that can kill your plants, I've noticed ages ago in the potting mix some small minuscule little white bug crawling around.. it could be the case?

Edited by whataboutpizza

Mate u need to settle down a bit and go back to basic's, your potting mix contains food already in it althought potting mix i have found is totally useless and shit from the get go

if u mix perlite into any growing medium u cannot over water the plants, excess water will just drain away

if your going to restart in potting mix get a bag of seed raising mix grow your seedling untill it stops growing or turns pale green than repot it into a potting mix

if your adding perlite go easy on it a small amount goes a far way, usually 20-30% is on the money that is all that is needed for good drainage

i would highly recommend scrapping all the above and forgetting about potting mix it is absolutely shit house

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now lets say u want to start again!

go to bunnings and find the coco brickettes u need the one with the blue wrapper, soak it in a bucket of HOT water once it expands remove the excesswater than add 20% perlite now u need to flush the coco with PH adjusted water adjust your PH to 5.8 and flush the shit out of it

sow your seeds and wait untill they have 3 sets of leaves

the coco above does not contain and food at all so u will need to supply this your self

go pick up a couple bottles of Canna Coco this is coco specific nutrient, now read the instructions and if it say add 20mls of bottle A and 20mls of bottle B u reduce this to 1/4th the dose because there recommended amount is full dose and your seedling is still small and cannot handle full strength nutrient

now after some weeks have passed increase the nutrient strength

good luck

You need to do a little research mate.  all your questions are answered on this forum somewhere.  Check out other members grow diarys for ideas.

What is with the bucket idea ?  plenty of light getting out of that, so plenty will be able to get in when you want to flower in there...

That aside.  find a similar grow diary that has been successful and copy as far as practical the methodology.

Off the top of my head, member Katton grows successfully in a rather small place too, well not as small as that bucket.

Good luck.

I'm gonna have to disagree with Chrystal on a couple of things.

There are a couple of okay potting mixes out there, Searles Premium is one, but the ones from Bummings are shit and canna plants not liking them is a common problem.

Adding perlite to about 30% is correct, and a very good idea.  But you most definitely can still overwater, and the pic I looked at looked very much like overwatering in shit potting mix.  Also worth starting in a smaller pot to help with not drowning small plants until they are big enough to pot up.

Do not get the coco bricks from Bummings unless you want to spend a lot of time and effort cleaning and pre buffering it, it is shit for anything but amending garden soils.  If you want to change to coco, get quality pre buffered stuff from a hydro shop, and get coco specific nutes to go with it.  You can buy it with perlite pre mixed or add perlite to it.

Repot into a smaller pot with better potting mix or some sort of hydroponic medium and let the medium mostly dry between watering, and they will bounce back.  Just be gentle.  And spend some time researching through the site so you have a much better idea of where you're going with your grow, and how to do it.

No idea how you plan to contain a canna plant in a bucket once you flip the light cycle and they go into stretch.  You'll also need to lightproof your ventilation before flowering.

:peace:

Edited by Sir PsychoHashy

hey people, thanks for all the advice and helpful information.

PH of my water (bottled water) is 6.5

I checked Katton growing but not exactly what I'm looking for, cause he's growing outdoor.

To contain the plant I will have to to LST (low stress training) so bend the branches and make it more bushy than christmas tree shape like.

Im still confused about nutrients: when should I start with the nutrients and can you recommend which to use? I have this one at home: https://www.bunnings.com.au/powerfeed-1-2l-tomato-and-vegetable-fertiliser-concentrate_p2962110

Edited by whataboutpizza

hey people, thanks for all the advice and helpful information.

PH of my water (bottled water) is 6.5

I checked Katton growing but not exactly what I'm looking for, cause he's growing outdoor.

To contain the plant I will have to to LST (low stress training) so bend the branches and make it more bushy than christmas tree shape like.

Im still confused about nutrients: when should I start with the nutrients and can you recommend which to use? I have this one at home: https://www.bunnings.com.au/powerfeed-1-2l-tomato-and-vegetable-fertiliser-concentrate_p2962110

errrr, no he is not.

Seed banks love blokes like you ! lol