Fan Silencers

Guy's i thought the 150mm mixed flow fan was quiet well it is not very stealth, i have on hand a fan speed controller but my mixed flow fan has a capacitor wired up i think its a start and run capacitor, my fan is 2 speed i have it on low but still plenty noisy around 62db at 2 meters even with the filter attached

just wondering if i use the fan speed controller to reduce the speed is there any chance of the capacitor over heating and or melting catching fire?

i would like to reduce the fan speed by at lease 40% more, from memory i have only ever controlled the speed on axle fans as those don't have capacitors and i did slow one centrifugal only around 20% and it didn't like it

I've used the canfan gear in 300mm and now 250mm, only issue I encountered was loosing a decade old fan when using it on a thermo switch didn't like the on and off cycling I assumed.

I rubber strapped the filter to ceiling of my tent 1300mm x3000mm > duct > silencer >fan which is a loaner black unit moves bulk air pulling air passively into room then into the tent. All math old fan was total room exchange every thirty sec would be less with this one. Now noise there is a slight air speed and hum sound feet from room but not enough that a neighbour could hear from over the fence. Can run the new fan 24/7 like I did on an older can fan lx250 which went strong 24/7 for 12years before loosing it. These new fans Are longer but self silenced and insulated bout inch thick.

Guy's i thought the 150mm mixed flow fan was quiet well it is not very stealth, i have on hand a fan speed controller but my mixed flow fan has a capacitor wired up i think its a start and run capacitor, my fan is 2 speed i have it on low but still plenty noisy around 62db at 2 meters even with the filter attached

just wondering if i use the fan speed controller to reduce the speed is there any chance of the capacitor over heating and or melting catching fire?

i would like to reduce the fan speed by at lease 40% more, from memory i have only ever controlled the speed on axle fans as those don't have capacitors and i did slow one centrifugal only around 20% and it didn't like it

Yes there is a chance it could catch fire, avoid the cheap plug in fan speed controllers for this reason.

I have a 150mm Whisper Silencer fan, yeah its quiet but its shit, pushes fuck all air compared to a normal 150mm centri.

I have a blauberg turbo 150

Some kinda can filter

some 250mm acoustic ducting.

Stuck the fan directly to the filter, and put the ducting over the entire fan, duct taped to the end of the filter, gazza, youd fuckin love it.

so long as theres enough of a bend in the ducting, it runs next to silent. better than a bathroom fan imo, with plenty of flow through

Hey Gazza

I'm with Carlos Danger Mouse on this one ... that name brings a smile every time. :)

I have a Can Q-max 6" (which has a silencer before and after the fan) attached directly to a Can 33 filter and although the Q-max is supposed to be 'silent', even on the lowest speed setting there is a small amount of motor and rushing air noise. Putting the whole lot into 12" acoustic ducting (with one good bend) helped heaps. In no way is it silent, but for the large amount of air being filtered, it's a fair trade-off.  

The Whisper Silencer Fan sounds like the way to go for a new fan buy though.

Edited by pug1010
  • Upvote 1

Hey Gazza

I'm with Carlos Danger Mouse on this one ... that name brings a smile every time. :)

I have a Can Q-max 6" (which has a silencer before and after the fan) attached directly to a Can 33 filter and although the Q-max is supposed to be 'silent', even on the lowest speed setting there is a small amount of motor and rushing air noise. Putting the whole lot into 12" acoustic ducting (with one good bend) helped heaps. In no way is it silent, but for the large amount of air being filtered, it's a fair trade-off.  

The Whisper Silencer Fan sounds like the way to go for a new fan buy though.

Thanks, The fan is pretty quiet now all i can hear is a little air getting blown around i would put it down as just turbulence air in the ducting

the other fan i had was a SP 150 mixed flow fan it kind of had like a jet whistle to it it was probably double the loudness of the Whisper Silencer Fan

Gazza wrap the fan in some large acoustic ducting a you will really notice how much quitter it will make that noisy fan , the insulation will really absorb

an lot of the noise from that fan motor that's how I do it when I need to silent      a noisy fan motor down  seem to work well for me so you should be no different.

Regards,Dingo-2008.

PS /Or even buy some number 3 home celling insulation an wrap that around you fan motor the wrap the insulation with some of that ali tape they use on the ali backed insulation , :twiddle:

Gazza wrap the fan in some large acoustic ducting a you will really notice how much quitter it will make that noisy fan , the insulation will really absorb

an lot of the noise from that fan motor that's how I do it when I need to silent      a noisy fan motor down  seem to work well for me so you should be no different.

Regards,Dingo-2008.

PS /Or even buy some number 3 home celling insulation an wrap that around you fan motor the wrap the insulation with some of that ali tape they use on the ali backed insulation , :twiddle:

Thanks Dingo i will try it but its not really a problem now with the new fan, do u know any online shops that sell it by the meter? that insulated ducting is quiet expensive in large sizes