Reggies outdoor 2015/16

Hey reggie 

just on your broken branch add some more support by adding some sort of tie from about 200 to 300mm = guess via pic 

up from where the red tape is on the branch to a little higher up on the main stem , some string to the main stem will help , come flower 

Look into essential oils mate & work out an IPM , if you know your prone to it then act now to prevent it  

Quote:

"  So far, they have controlled the fungus Botrytis cinerea, Fusarium sp. and Colletotrichum sp.,

which cause diseases in strawberry, raspberry, mango, papaya, tomatoes and zucchini, among

others, as well as causing up to 45 percent of economic losses. " Continue reading 

http://phys.org/news/2015-11-fungi-oregano-eucalyptus-oil.html

Maybe grow a sage bush lol

Quote:

"botrytis uses the jasmonic response against the plant (where normally it's a defense against pathogenic fungi),

it tricks the plant into thinking it's placing an attack by signaling specific hormones, and the plant then kills that

tissue to stop its spread, however the botrytis being the sneaky fungi it is, uses this damaged tissue to come in

and do even further damage."

Quote:

" In a University of California study Richard Karban and other researchers clipped leaves of sagebrush plants to mimic insects eating

their leaves. The cut sagebrush released methyl jasmonate, which the wind carried to nearby downwind tobacco plants. The plants

sensed the methyl jasmonate and reacted by increasing trichome production as a defense. Jasmonate treatment significantly increased

nicotine concentrations in the leaves of treated plants 22-54% above those of their control, water-treated counterparts. Plants, though,

react to even extremely high concentrations of volatiles only within an extremely short range. The tobacco plants had to be within 6 inches

of the receptive plant to achieve an effect. "

Edited by itchybromusic
  • Upvote 1

Hey reggie 

just on your broken branch add some more support by adding some sort of tie from about 200 to 300mm = guess via pic 

up from where the red tape is on the branch to a little higher up on the main stem , some string to the main stem will help , come flower 

Look into essential oils mate & work out an IPM , if you know your prone to it then act now to prevent it  

Quote:

"  So far, they have controlled the fungus Botrytis cinerea, Fusarium sp. and Colletotrichum sp.,

which cause diseases in strawberry, raspberry, mango, papaya, tomatoes and zucchini, among

others, as well as causing up to 45 percent of economic losses. " Continue reading 

http://phys.org/news/2015-11-fungi-oregano-eucalyptus-oil.html

Maybe grow a sage bush lol

Quote:

"botrytis uses the jasmonic response against the plant (where normally it's a defense against pathogenic fungi),

it tricks the plant into thinking it's placing an attack by signaling specific hormones, and the plant then kills that

tissue to stop its spread, however the botrytis being the sneaky fungi it is, uses this damaged tissue to come in

and do even further damage."

Quote:

" In a University of California study Richard Karban and other researchers clipped leaves of sagebrush plants to mimic insects eating

their leaves. The cut sagebrush released methyl jasmonate, which the wind carried to nearby downwind tobacco plants. The plants

sensed the methyl jasmonate and reacted by increasing trichome production as a defense. Jasmonate treatment significantly increased

nicotine concentrations in the leaves of treated plants 22-54% above those of their control, water-treated counterparts. Plants, though,

react to even extremely high concentrations of volatiles only within an extremely short range. The tobacco plants had to be within 6 inches

of the receptive plant to achieve an effect. "

Cheers for the suggestion! Ive just given them a 'sling' t help them repair properly! 

In terms of IPM for botrytis, what do you recomend for the flowering stage(when i encounter it the worst)? I was thinking of getting a foliar spray with some benficial fungi in solution and spray the whole plants. Because Ive been going ful organic from the beginninng I dont really want to add any chemicals(especialy at late stage).

Very Very nice Reggie, I also like the Pine Exp, but that Strawberry has the look of potential filthiness :thumbsup:

They look very healthy, very nice shade of green. 

Yep, budrot can be a bitch, I hate to think how big a problem it is for you guys in less arid climates to me.  Hope the weather's kind to you.

Im really hoping the strawberry is my biggest yielder but it really needs to catch up to the pineapple!! I use the colour of the leave to diagnose how much nutrient they need. Its taken me a few years and im stil learning with each year.The rain can be a blessing and a curse as you probably know :doh:  I hope the season also treats you well!!

Cheers for the suggestion! Ive just given them a 'sling' t help them repair properly! 

In terms of IPM for botrytis, what do you recomend for the flowering stage(when i encounter it the worst)? I was thinking of getting a foliar spray with some benficial fungi in solution and spray the whole plants. Because Ive been going ful organic from the beginninng I dont really want to add any chemicals(especialy at late stage).

Im really hoping the strawberry is my biggest yielder but it really needs to catch up to the pineapple!! I use the colour of the leave to diagnose how much nutrient they need. Its taken me a few years and im stil learning with each year.The rain can be a blessing and a curse as you probably know :doh:  I hope the season also treats you well!!

i'm organic as well & am happy to spray up to 2nd week of flower , maybe third week depending on strain 

once heavy into flower i wouldn't be spraying anything , basically no spraying past week 2 

what to use past that ? well , beneficials would be one thing to look at but you really need to check out what's 

in the bottle , being that you plan to put it on your plant in flower that in the end you will consume 

never used it but have seen people suggest H202 , but really your trying to have a healthy plant first & by spraying 

oils & beneficials in veg you hope that will support that health & see you though , it all gets harder once you have " it " 

than it is to try prevent it 

EM-1 would be a spray to look into cos you can DIY at home with some rice , water , milk & molasses , what you make here is the inoculant used in bokashi , the making of 

you could also get some Malted Barley grains from a brew store , about $5 kg & use @ 56 grams of ground up grains ( $10 coffee grinder )

to 20 lt of clean water , the enzymes trapped in those grains by the malting house are fantastic at starting the break down 

process of organic matter so adding some kelp meal for a 24 hr bubble gives you seasol on steroids , change kelp & add neem meal & you get NPK & all the

protection benefits of neem in a soil drench , add lucerne ( alfalfa ) & you'll get triacontanol  , like super hit of N , careful on the alfalfa it can get hot 

just the malted barley on it's own will have your plants reaching for the sun a couple hours after feeding 

• Upvote 2

Cheers Jords and GBG!!

I got the strawberry ice from amsterdam marijuana seeds. Ive gotten a few strains from them and pretty happy with how everything has turned out from them. Never smoked it before but very excited to sample come harvest!! I got the 'fruitbasket package' from them this season, hence why i have a few fruity named strains. The strawberry ice is reported to be a decent yielder outdoors so it will be interesting to see if it lives up to its claims...