Jan Copeland losing out to ICE

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/health/national-cannabis-prevention-and-information-centre-ice-survey-busts-myths-20150812-gixjkg.html

The huge amount of attention focused on the drug "ice" may be inadvertently encouraging some young people to try it, researchers say.

A survey of more than 11,000 Australians found many were vastly overestimating how commonly the drug was used, while nearly one in 25 said they were considering using it themselves.

The research, from the National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre (NCPIC) at the University of NSW, also overturned common stereotypes of ice users. Nearly 4200 people who answered the survey had actually tried the drug, including nearly 50 aged between 13 and 15, and almost 10 per cent of users said they were stay-at-home mothers.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/content/dam/images/g/i/x/k/0/4/image.related.articleLeadNarrow.300x0.gixjkg.png/1439382178126.jpg

Professor Jan Copeland.

NCPIC director Jan Copeland said there was a risk that as people expressed legitimate concerns about ice use, the high level of attention could make the problem appear more widespread than it was.

"It does mean that perhaps [ice use] is being perceived as a more normal behaviour than it actually is," she said.

She was particularly concerned that the survey, which NCPIC has submitted to the National Ice Taskforce review, found 3.3 per cent of respondents said they were considering trying the drug.

"Interestingly, they were also the group who had the lowest awareness of what ice actually was," she said. "About one in six  thought it was a plant, and 17 per cent said it was only a little dangerous to health.

"They were aware of the harms but they seemed to think 'yes, but it won't happen to me'".

The survey, which contacted people via Facebook over a two-week period, found one in five thought more than half the Australian population had tried ice. Another quarter thought between 31 and 50 per cent of Australians had tried the drug.

In fact, only about 3.5 per cent of Australians are thought to have tried ice, which is a crystalised form of methamphetamine.

Professor Copeland said being younger, male and unemployed was common among the people the survey found had tried ice, but counter to popular belief it did not find a greater numbers of users in regional areas. It did find a significant proportion were stay-at-home mums.

"While most of the sample said they had social reasons for using, among stay-at-home mums it was to do with negative emotions," she said. "Many of them also felt they were quite quickly becoming addicted, after more than a month of using once a week."

She said the survey, which also asked participants to rate various anti-ice advertising campaigns, showed the importance of tailoring messages about the drug for different audiences, rather than only relying on scare campaigns or brief blitzes of advertising.

Edited by MongyMan
font colour changed

I got 1 sentence in...

then lost interest

Cant seem to read anything from the NCPIC

without throwing up in my mouth a little bit...

Ice epidemic is Jan's new meal ticket

now trails are under way for Canna

and Jans "Canna is bad, but let me sell you some Sativax" money making business is floundering!

• Upvote 2

and Jans "Canna is bad, but let me sell you some Sativax" money making business is floundering!  Just like religion she will continue to work on peoples fears to line her pockets. 

I want to know when these leaches will ever say sorry to all the lives they have destroyed through there bullshit propaganda through one reason or another. 

• Upvote 2

Well Jan Copeland you should get off your big fat ass an open your eyes to  what what is going on in  Western Australia.

An if you do not know where that is Jan Copeland ,It is that plot of land on the west coast.

Hey Lookinggoodguys,Thanks for redoing that post in white lettering TY.

Regards,Dingo-2008.  

The big connect we need to take away from this is that... drug education increases drug literacy, drug literacy at a young age encourages drug experimentation. This isn't new information... it was one of the findings of research into drug education in primary schools 20 years ago.

Well that and a self selected sample from FB users is not a properly controlled sample group and the results should NOT be considered 'research'.

And neither should Jan Copeland call herself professor... she is a director, she does not hold a professorship. At most she can claim dr infront of her name or PhD after her name. I can't stand it when people use fake titles to make themselves feel grander than they really are... 

Edited by louise
  • Upvote 5

it is a horrid substance... that is actually everywhere.

ive been told several times its alot easier to get these days than good weed.  i wish they would crack down in it harder... and leave cannabis "users" alone.

This is the problem that there is way more profit in ice plus it addicts it's customers quickly and doesn't  take months to manufacture.

Also all the crackdowns in 2013 -14 on good commercial cannabis growers has fueled the spread of ice.

• Upvote 1