Genetically Modified Marijuana Strain Created by Masanto

“There is presently no way to control the production of marijuana and the quality of the strains. A GM strain produced by a company with the credentials and prestige of Monsanto would definitely lend a massive hand to pro-legalization activists within certain spheres of government and within the business world” he explains

I noticed a phrase there " control the production". lol

Edited by DailyTokin

Without question. When this becomes a global industry, big business will implement the plan they have been sitting on for decades. Like "Snake" from the Simpsons.

How long will it take for you to one again flood our streets?

{... About 3 minutes}

And there will ALSO always be the local market. MacDonalds didnt kill the Milk Bar, this nation remembers that it is made up of people. The Gourmet market will always have customers.

• Upvote 2

I just like to point out that not all Genetic Modification can be or is bad. While Monsanto (bayer pharma as well i think) are a terrible company etc and probably have a box full of money instead of a heart.

I mean we could see genetically modified Cannabis able to grow on incredibly saline soils, I know there is a lot of work done in china where they are growing tomatoes literally on beaches etc.

But yeh fuck we'll be seeing roundup ready Cannabis in no time. You can drink glyphosate right? lol fuck monsanto 

• Upvote 2

"Monsanto’s interest in the field has been interpreted by experts as the precursor to “a major shift in marijuana policy in the US” as it is believed the company would not have invested so much time and energy if it had not had “previous knowledge” of the Federal government’s “openness” towards the future legalization of marijuana"

No shit Sherlock.  I find it hard to believe that they haven't been working on this for quite a while, with the full knowledge (and unofficial cooperation) of the US government.  I find it equally hard to believe that whatever future legislative plans the US government have for canna will not create a framework that gives corporations like Monsanto a massively unfair advantage, if not a foot in the door for government contracts for heavily controlled supply.  Anyone else think that there may be some nice jobs on the board of Monsanto for a few senators upon retirement from politics?

Wonder if this is the reason Aussie governments are prevaricating on medical canna and the "supply issues" they keep dribbling about?  Fuck I'm a cynical old bastard, and reading stuff like this does nothing to allay my fears that legalisation is going to make things fucked up.  Can you imagine how seriously they will tighten and enforce cultivation legislation if big players like Monsanto get a grip on the supply side.

would you get in anymore trouble for growing your own if it was legalized, and what happens in the world of weed in those big companies wont worry the home grower will it. as long as they dont fuck with our seeds. things will just become easier for home growers wont it.

actually I think there is a chance that canna could end up with stupid regulations like there is with growing corn at home (this is USA I'm referring to)

Corn is highly GM'd, farmers don't take kindly to stray (non-GM) pollen messing with their corn and their $$$.

Pollination from non-GM plants turns their entire crop to crap (and their seeds for the next crop too), reintroduces the susceptibility to bug/disease that the GM corn would have been resistant to.

So yea -I do believe their is a small probability that when Canna become regulated there could be an issue- like when the person is growing the close to a commercial crop

Edited by Matanuska Thunder

would you get in anymore trouble for growing your own if it was legalized, and what happens in the world of weed in those big companies wont worry the home grower will it. as long as they dont fuck with our seeds. things will just become easier for home growers wont it.

Take a look at tobacco, as far as I know it comes under the same legislation as canna in NSW at least, cultivate prohibited plant.  Gotta protect the cash cow that's tobacco.  Governments will tell you that heavily regulated industries are regulated to protect consumers and the public, but a lot of the time that's just bullshit, otherwise with all the extra taxation and negative rhetoric aimed at tobacco, the tobacco companies would be less profitable than in the past, but are doing very very well these days.

As for Monsanto, they have pulled some unconscionable shit in the agricultural sector, and have a history of liking to have complete control.  Farmers being sued for growing crops using seeds kept from their previous years Monsanto GM harvest, and even farmers who have had their crops contaminated by GM crops on neighbouring properties being sued for using their own seed because it then contained Monsanto's genetics, and the list goes on with shit that can only be happening because governments allow it to.  Monsanto is an amoral and immoral corporation that wants to have it all, and will use any means to get it.  They start doing the sort of shit they get up to in canna land, and I don't see things going in a direction that is good for anyone except Monsanto.  But, I am a cynical old bastard who suffers from occassional paranoic conspiracy theory thoughts, so maybe I'm way off base.

They have done some stuff that has been very beneficial for ag, but there seems to be a growing number of farmers who wish they never existed.  Surprised Faith hasn't chimed in with a rant, he gets his knickers in much more of a twist over Monsanto than I do. 

• Upvote 3