A few questions regarding equipment, first time grow

centrifugal fans dont drop in pressure over 6 meters of ducting, a centrifugal fan has a lot more suction than a mix-flow fan, yes ive owned one and ive owned many different fans i dont know it all but i know what ive tested and grown with

a centrifugal fans pressure is not affected by bends however a axle fans maybe but im running mine at 50% so i dont need the full power anyway

its not all about how much your fan can suck or how much air your fan can move it's how much air u allow it to move from the beginning

pressure drop with ducting length and shape of the air channel has nothing common with fan characteristics. It's different area of aerodynamics. Every ducting has a pressure drop.

could we be more specific here pls. how big is pressure of your centrifugal fan, Sir?

Edited by secretjardin

the fans are air cooled and being cooled by your cool air your pulling thru your grow room if u kill the fan by over heating it u more than likely killed your plants well before the fan

all sorts of sound reducers have been used long before i started growing and they'll continue long after u and i are gone

how many times have u read on this forum of a fan fire? in 11-12 years not once for me, its not like im pulling air thru 20 meters of ducting with zero air pressure at the end i have sufficient air to keep the fan cool...

i don't agree with the blanket anyway.

build a box or better buy a plastic storage container. put your fan inside and make two holes in front of intake and outlet. make air channels between fan ends and holes with a piece of ducting. use expanding foam to fill up the rest of inner volume in your container. if you claim 70% efficiency of your current solution, this will have all 90% guaranteed :thisbig:

Edited by secretjardin

pressure drop with ducting length and shape of the air channel has nothing common with fan characteristics. It's different area of aerodynamics. Every ducting has a pressure drop.

could we be more specific here pls. how big is pressure of your centrifugal fan, Sir?

from memory (i lost the booklet) 100Pa @ 6 meters of ducting

i don't agree with the blanket anyway.

build a box or better buy a plastic storage container. put your fan inside and make two holes in front of intake and outlet. make air channels between fan ends and holes with a piece of ducting. use expanding foam to fill up the rest of inner volume in your container. if you claim 70% efficiency of your current solution, this will have all 90% guaranteed :thisbig:

thats the thing SJ the location of my grow i cant just carry in a nice big 60L storage container, everything must be done in a stealthy fashion as to not raise any thing, i also cant use power tools to cut the ducting holes

Just as another idea, I have a plastic box with two holes for ducting and have used slabs of rockwool as sound preventative. The hairs in the rockwool slow down the vibrations, as well as rockwool being non flammable afaik.

thats a good idea frank but if i cover just the fan there is a lot of noise that travels down the ducting at a short length so i found the blanket perfect because it covers around 1 meter in length, this blanket is feather down which i think has fire retardent but i cant be 100% sure as it wasnt new just something i found around the house and used

my original idea was to use 2x 100mm silencers but snizen was the only seller on ebay with them in 100mm an at something like $120 each i couldnt afford them so the blanket is a cheap and effective alternative

btw from memory my fan is rated to operate to 71c or 75c i think my tent has only reached 45c so im still within its limits by a mile

from memory (i lost the booklet) 100Pa @ 6 meters of ducting

I cannot find pressure data for 6m of ducting for MF Fan 6".

According to aerodynamic characteristics of this fan, 50% of air flow capabilities gives 150Pa (if we presume that 6m of ducting takes a half of maximum air flow).

thats the thing SJ the location of my grow i cant just carry in a nice big 60L storage container, everything must be done in a stealthy fashion as to not raise any thing, i also cant use power tools to cut the ducting holes

Everyone has different conditions. Respect. But, is there any reason for using long ducting according to your pictures provided? May be it's right time to make a revision?

Just as another idea, I have a plastic box with two holes for ducting and have used slabs of rockwool as sound preventative. The hairs in the rockwool slow down the vibrations, as well as rockwool being non flammable afaik.

An excellent idea, Frank Reynolds!

But Sixty-Eight has true. It's also necessary to consider vibration damping of ducting connected to a fan. Concerns the inlet and outlet of the fan.

I cannot find pressure data for 6m of ducting for MF Fan 6".

According to aerodynamic characteristics of this fan, 50% of air flow capabilities gives 150Pa (if we presume that 6m of ducting takes a half of maximum air flow).

Everyone has different conditions. Respect. But, is there any reason for using long ducting according to your pictures provided? May be it's right time to make a revision?

100Pa @ 6m is for my 100mm centrifugal, i ran a 100mm mix flo fan with short ducting around 1m on each end years ago just for a cool tube it kept the light cool but it has nothing on the suction of a centrifugal altho the mix flo fan was quieter and had a different sound, the centrifugal fans have a jet woosh and suck sound where as the mix flo fan was more of a blade sound

i use the long ducting because if i was to hang my fan inside of the tent i have no way of insulating it, can u imagine wrapping the fan in the blanket and hanging it inside of the tent lol it would take up valuable head room

the other key to the long ducting is is to reduce the noise the little bit of ducting reduces the woosh and suck noise by about 50% without the ducting the fan is very loud, when i set up this fan i ran it for a few days without the ducting on the end and at 8pm it was so bloody loud it made me shit my pants i can only imagine the neighbours heard it, i checked it with a iphone app a decibel meter and as i have it now it read 67db at around 1 meter away

i was looking at fans on ebay not long ago i would love to run one of those silent mix flo fans 150mm 33db!!!! shit no one could hear that running but they are like $350

100Pa @ 6m is for my 100mm centrifugal, i ran a 100mm mix flo fan with short ducting around 1m on each end years ago just for a cool tube it kept the light cool but it has nothing on the suction of a centrifugal altho the mix flo fan was quieter and had a different sound, the centrifugal fans have a jet woosh and suck sound where as the mix flo fan was more of a blade sound

i use the long ducting because if i was to hang my fan inside of the tent i have no way of insulating it, can u imagine wrapping the fan in the blanket and hanging it inside of the tent lol it would take up valuable head room

the other key to the long ducting is is to reduce the noise the little bit of ducting reduces the woosh and suck noise by about 50% without the ducting the fan is very loud, when i set up this fan i ran it for a few days without the ducting on the end and at 8pm it was so bloody loud it made me shit my pants i can only imagine the neighbours heard it, i checked it with a iphone app a decibel meter and as i have it now it read 67db at around 1 meter away

i was looking at fans on ebay not long ago i would love to run one of those silent mix flo fans 150mm 33db!!!! shit no one could hear that running but they are like $350

pls don't blame me for the ads :unknw:

Blauberg Turbo 150 (6" Mixed Flow Fan)

pls don't blame me for the ads :unknw:

Blauberg Turbo 150 (6" Mixed Flow Fan)

they say 34/45db at 3 meters thats quiet, this is the fan im using but not from this ebay seller http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Inline-Centrifugal-Exhaust-Vent-Fan-Blower-Hydroponics-for-Grow-Room-Duct-/131415105811?pt=AU_Seed_Starting_Hydroponics&hash=item1e98f36113 in his ass 48db lol its says in the instruction book from memory something like 70db 2950RPM

it does say "*CE approved, Thermal and overload protection provides safe operation" so in the event my fan does over heat it'll shut off than turn back on so the blanket is safe to use

now one of these would be awesome to use http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WHISPER-SILENCER-FAN-150MM-200MM-250MM-300MM-THE-QUIETEST-FAN-ON-THE-MARKET-/121230240555?pt=AU_Seed_Starting_Hydroponics&var=&hash=item1c39e2ab2b there is a video on youtube of i think the 300mm model running and u can barely hear it, test done by aussie hyalite hydroponics, i cant imagine how quiet the 150mm model would be!!!

i need to start saving my green backs

they say 34/45db at 3 meters thats quiet, this is the fan im using but not from this ebay seller http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Inline-Centrifugal-Exhaust-Vent-Fan-Blower-Hydroponics-for-Grow-Room-Duct-/131415105811?pt=AU_Seed_Starting_Hydroponics&hash=item1e98f36113 in his ass 48db lol its says in the instruction book from memory something like 70db 2950RPM

What's your point? Blauberg Ventilatoren

This that you have is china no-name. They say a lot of things ;)

now one of these would be awesome to use http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WHISPER-SILENCER-FAN-150MM-200MM-250MM-300MM-THE-QUIETEST-FAN-ON-THE-MARKET-/121230240555?pt=AU_Seed_Starting_Hydroponics&var=&hash=item1c39e2ab2b there is a video on youtube of i think the 300mm model running and u can barely hear it, test done by aussie hyalite hydroponics, i cant imagine how quiet the 150mm model would be!!!

i need to start saving my green backs

385$?! seriously?