A few questions regarding equipment, first time grow

heres a couple pics with ideas on how to set up the filter and fan, the cartoon picture shows a cooltube reflector being used

i run my filter inside my tent at the top with ducting connected and running outside of my tent to the floor where i have my centrifugal fan than about another meter of ducting to quieten the fan more i have it like this so i can chuck a feather dow dooner over my fan to keep noise low

post-52810-0-73369100-1422668025_thumb.png

post-52810-0-95869200-1422668030_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

These replies have been extremely helpful, thanks everyone.

I've got some equipment, and I'm going to start putting it together. Should I keep the build in this thread or start a diary and add build details there?

I'm thinking of either lining inside the grow box with some material that is heatproof or even maybe a paint? or am I just being paranoid? I really don't want a fire!

It is a decent cupboard though so I might still have use for it in the future, the backboard is easily replaced so all holes will be made in the back.

I also have a shelf, I'm wondering if it's worth using a smaller space for clones, I might be getting a bit ahead of my self though, probably best to keep it simple stupid.

• Upvote 1

Hey again wizard.

I would start a grow/build diary to keep it all in one place, then you can ask questions there or in the relevant section :)

Matt white paint, like ceiling paint, is excellent at reflecting light and a cheaper way to get started. just give the cupboard a few coats once you've done all the work inside.

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/65535-grow4/
Check out the link to an older diary of mine, it has pics of my grow space that is only a bit larger than your proposed space. The flower area is 2000x1600x600mm (HxWxD) and the little area on the right is 1200x600x600mm (HxWxD) (ill be extending the flower cabin into this area for this indoor season as Ive now got a fridge as my vegging place :)

I found air movement is the key to keeping a smaller space happy as it can over heat very quickly and I learnt the hard way :( .Bring air in from the bottom and exhaust it out the top, go for a good centrifugal fan to either push or pull the air through ya space and as 68 said, keep in consideration its position as you may need to add some sound proofing as they can be fairly noisy, also get yaself a temp gauge with memory function to hang in there so you can monitor heat levels through a 24hr period, and you should be laughin matey, har har :good:

TiE matey and good luck!

• Upvote 1

Hey CBD,

I always use the KISS theory, keep it simple stupid. That way any adjustment or alterations that are needed (and they always are needed, we all need to make adjustments to suit) can be made.

I wouldn't be too worried about lining the cupboard and I totally agree with Cap'n just paint it with ceiling white, that's what I did in my room. White will reflect the whole light spectrum. I have known of some people who have used mirrors or silver lining paper, thinking that that would reflect the most light. This is not correct as mirrors will also reflect dark colours such as pots, so paint it white.

In one of my former rooms I lined it with panda plastic film, but after a few grows the plastic dries out and it crumbles, a bit like dried paint, as the plastic reacts with UV light.

Merl1n

These replies have been extremely helpful, thanks everyone.

I've got some equipment, and I'm going to start putting it together. Should I keep the build in this thread or start a diary and add build details there?

I'm thinking of either lining inside the grow box with some material that is heatproof or even maybe a paint? or am I just being paranoid? I really don't want a fire!

It is a decent cupboard though so I might still have use for it in the future, the backboard is easily replaced so all holes will be made in the back.

I also have a shelf, I'm wondering if it's worth using a smaller space for clones, I might be getting a bit ahead of my self though, probably best to keep it simple stupid.

White paint is good as long as you don't want to use your cupboard again for its main purpose :) Reflective films are easy to apply and remove. Have better reflective capabilities and can be reused. You don't need to cover all inside surface, just for height of you plants.

Mixed Flow fans are several times quiet and cheaper to run than centrifugal fans. I'm running 6" 2 speeds mixed flow fan - power draw 54/48 W; air flow 530/410 m3/h; noise 33/29 dBA. It was 1.5x more expensive than centrifugal, but - power draw 110W; air flow 580 m3/h; noise 50dBA. MF is 4 times more quiet and consumes twice less electricity. 

CMD i took some pics to show u how i have my flower tent setup

u can see the carbon filter at the top i have ducting attached that runs down to the floor under the blanket is a centrifugal fan than another length of ducting, the blanket reduces the noise by around 70% but im still left with a sucking noise at my filter and a woosh noise coming out the end of my ducting so if your worried about noise maybe look into fan silencers

the other 150mm ducting is for my veg tent set up in the same way but i dont have a carbon filter on my veg than and the fan im using is a standard inline duct fan at around 50% power

post-52810-0-11054300-1422765177_thumb.jpg

post-52810-0-02384200-1422765192_thumb.jpg

post-52810-0-34160600-1422765208_thumb.jpg

CMD i took some pics to show u how i have my flower tent setup

u can see the carbon filter at the top i have ducting attached that runs down to the floor under the blanket is a centrifugal fan than another length of ducting, the blanket reduces the noise by around 70% but im still left with a sucking noise at my filter and a woosh noise coming out the end of my ducting so if your worried about noise maybe look into fan silencers

the other 150mm ducting is for my veg tent set up in the same way but i dont have a carbon filter on my veg than and the fan im using is a standard inline duct fan at around 50% power

With all my respect to your experience, Sir, i cannot agree with you. why recommend noisy fan and silencer if it is possible to use an advanced one and spend less money and efforts? it makes no sense to me.

by the way, each 6m of straight air duct decrease air flow of your inline axial fan twice. as much as 90deg band. all the parameters of the fans is for open-air fan capacity.

go with the panda film dude but find one with a uv treatment or it will perish unless you change it occasionally..... I do not agree with the fan under a blanket, a fire risk if I ever seen one, fan only has too get a surge or ova heat and the kindling is all ready only need some sausages and jacket potatoes, better spending the money and getting the right fan for the job, maybe a fan control and don't put a blanket over anything.

• Upvote 1

With all my respect to your experience, Sir, i cannot agree with you. why recommend noisy fan and silencer if it is possible to use an advanced one and spend less money and efforts? it makes no sense to me.

by the way, each 6m of straight air duct decrease air flow of your inline axial fan twice. as much as 90deg band. all the parameters of the fans is for open-air fan capacity.

centrifugal fans dont drop in pressure over 6 meters of ducting, a centrifugal fan has a lot more suction than a mix-flow fan, yes ive owned one and ive owned many different fans i dont know it all but i know what ive tested and grown with

a centrifugal fans pressure is not affected by bends however a axle fans maybe but im running mine at 50% so i dont need the full power anyway

its not all about how much your fan can suck or how much air your fan can move it's how much air u allow it to move from the beginning

go with the panda film dude but find one with a uv treatment or it will perish unless you change it occasionally..... I do not agree with the fan under a blanket, a fire risk if I ever seen one, fan only has too get a surge or ova heat and the kindling is all ready only need some sausages and jacket potatoes, better spending the money and getting the right fan for the job, maybe a fan control and don't put a blanket over anything.

the fans are air cooled and being cooled by your cool air your pulling thru your grow room if u kill the fan by over heating it u more than likely killed your plants well before the fan

all sorts of sound reducers have been used long before i started growing and they'll continue long after u and i are gone

how many times have u read on this forum of a fan fire? in 11-12 years not once for me, its not like im pulling air thru 20 meters of ducting with zero air pressure at the end i have sufficient air to keep the fan cool...