How to deal with the munchies

Sir PsychoHashy

Question

I know this will be begging for humorous replies, and I will enjoy reading them, but it is a serious question as this is an aspect of cannabis use that can have a negative medical impact, just hope this is the appropriate section for it.

Does anyone have any advice or knowledge on ways of combatting/avoiding the munchies, preferably not involving pizza and a crate of Tim Tams. 

I'm not proper overweight, but I am dr advised overweight and struggling to maintain my level, let alone lose weight, and I have other medical issues that are affected by my weight.  I make up for night time munchies to some degree by not eating much through the rest of the day, but spending time before  going to bed sitting on my arse with the munchies is the worst possible dieting scenario.  Obviously some strains are worse than others, but they all do it to me, so I would love to find a way to deal with this aspect of canna, as it helps me medicinally in other ways.

• Upvote 2

mmmm. chilli beef jerky. My best advice is don't go shopping when your high! That's when I seem to just grab all the shit, if I go by myself as soon as the Mrs looks in the cupboard shes like What the Fuck? how stoned were you? I even end up looking in the cupboard when Im not wasted at all the crap I brought & can find nothing to eat!

• Upvote 2

Thanks for all the interest and replies, didn't think it would generate this much response, no way I'm gonna try to reply to each post individually with 2 exceptions.

Matti, with the vape thing, as soon as I read that it rang true, thinking about it the munchies have been a bit worse since changing to a vaporiser.  Problem is the other benefits far outweigh it.

Stone Cold, rimombant.  Something to suppress the munchies is more what I was getting at, but that ones reported to have some side effects, and may have been banned in Oz, not sure.  It's probably worth a look into, but I'm cautious about it.  Can you provide a link to where to get it in Oz?

Wasn't really looking for dietary advice, but believe it's a good thing to be put up for everyone's benefit, the shit is important and unfortunately catches up with most of us eventually. 

I basically maintain 88-89kg without paying much attention to what I'm eating, I am concious of good and bad foods but try to take a sensible everything in moderation approach, and naturally end up eating an okay but not great diet.  I get more than the recommended amount of exercise, 1.5-2 hrs bush walking 4-6 times a week in hilly terrain, which I incorporate into my outdoor grow, so the uphill part usually includes a heavy backpack.  Take the nighttime munchies (not a daytime toker as it interferes with responsibilities) out of my life and I don't eat much, and would drop weight without a problem, it's pretty much that simple in my case.  At 182cm that weight isn't bad, but I'm one of these poor bastards that puts it on around the gut way before anywhere else, the rest of me is skinny as fuck.  Problem is that's where the doc wants me to lose it.

I've tried a variety of foods to try and satisfy the cravings, but none of them really work.  I like snacking on dried fruit and nuts, and they seem to help a little, but don't quite do it either.  I like chocolate, but it's not a problem as I only like it in very small doses, can't handle too much sweet.  Got an extra large toblerone for chrissy and only had the last piece last night, but I only had 4 pieces in the end as my missus is a chocoholic and raided it after finishing her enormous chrissy choc horde.  Not having snack foods in the house helps, but with the missus and 2 teen girls in the house, I get no help in keeping the bad stuff out of the house (at least none of them like M&M peanuts, as I cannot avoid grazing on them if available).  Still try to make sensible choices, but one of the strongest cravings for me is cold, wet stuff in the mouth, so ice cream and icy poles keep calling my name.

As stated in one reply, the munchies isn't about hunger.  It's more a case of the brain screaming out this is the pleasure you need, and you will not feel content until you satisfy it.  Problem is, a bad case of the munchies cannot be satisfied.  Finding a way to effectively shut that "craving" down is the advice I'm really looking for.  The medication mentioned is a possiblility I suppose, but probably not a desirable one.  Some sort of more natural or herbal thing, or some sort of food or drink that someone has had that has worked for them, or something along those lines would be great.  Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.  Don't mind food with chilli in it, but it doesn't seem to help at the heat levels I'm happy with.  Love coffee, and usually accompany the middle of the night vape with a cappucino, caffiene is meant to be an appetite suppressant, but it doesn't help either, fucken goes down well with a toke though.

Wish I was still young, thankfully I don't get the munchies like I used to, but I used to be able to put tonnes of crap food away without ill effects in my late teens, still have fond memories of a couple of mega munchies attacks and the intense pleasure derived from food at those times.  Have to say that if that's what it's like for some obese people, they have my full sympathy.

Strain selection makes a difference for sure.  Have also noticed that buds seem to be worse than hash, for me at least, as my hash stash is low and I have been toking on buds a bit more to pad it out.  In my stash I would say that Cinderella 99 is a stand out for being the worst, don't know if it's a sativa thing or just a coincidence?

Anyway, keep em coming, and don't be afraid to chuck in some pisstakes, I have a sense of humour.  And yeah Jester, that's what I do as well, and enjoy it immensely at the time.