MJ Strain for MND and Dosage

Melbgrk67

Question

Hi All,

Great site a lot of useful information on here.

Need some help please.

My father has just been disagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease (Called ALS and Lou Gehrig's Disease in US) at age of 82.

Doctors have diagnosed it based on a subjective Nerve Conduction Scan (test nerve responses in 8 muscle groups on body).

Have given him standard answer of based on progression (speech and swallowing atm) no more than 2 years left to live. Nothing more they can do.

Getting second opinion shortly but doesnt look good.

I want to give him a cannabis oil but dont know the THC/CDB ratio to use and also what strain of marijuana to use. I'm guessing a indica strain to minimise any physchedelic effect ;)

Any advice appreciated :)

Melbgrk67 .....

Hey Mel,

Sorry to hear of your fathers illness. MND is one nasty mother of a disease. I previously worked with people with disabilities and have some idea of what you are dealing with. I say 'previously' as I'm presently managing my own medical situation and haven't worked for more than a year now. Canna assists me to manage

I smoke canna, this has allowed me to reduce my need for pharma painkillers. I've reduced but not cut out altogether, I still need an opiate. I was smoking prior to my present need for pain relieve but I found when I smoked I wasn't taking meds every 4 hrs as previously required.

I have become (what I call) a 'conditioned smoker' I don't get stoned as easy as I once did (20+yr ago) and the effect is different. Some people get real chatty, some real silly, some really paranoid, so if you go down this path, be aware. Everybody is different and so are their reactions and tolerances. Also the method used for consuming gives different effects. For example eating it will give a body stone and relax the body, where smoking gives a head stone or a cerebral stone. Smoking leaf (which is not very nice) will give the least stone, where smoking bud will give a heavier stone. Some people mix bud with tobacco. This reduces the cannabis content but the tobacco can cause head spins. There is also tinctures and oils to consider. There are guides in Cannaversity ( http://cannaversity.com/strainguide/index.php )or in Green Eggs and Ham, our cooking page ( https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/forum/103-green-eggs-and-ham/ )

Being that your father is older and he is not well, I'd be starting with a very small dose of what ever you decide. It can be VERY difficult to dose canna accurately. So start small and wait between cones/doses as some can be creepers, where the full effect can take 5minutes (for smokables) to a couple of hours (for edibles) to appear.

Best of luck with it all and let us know how you get on. It may be helpful to others.

Merl1n

• Upvote 4

that is incorrect information Wannagrow

Decarbing of cannabis happens naturally through ageing/drying/curing of the canna 

There can be "psychoactive" properties in "properly made" oils - full stop.

Their are oils that have no psychoactive properties - like the strain "Charlottes Webb" currently clone only in USA

The reason it is no psychoactive properties in Charlottes Webb is because the THC % is extremely low and the CBD % quite high (pardon the pun)- that is how you get an oil with no psychoactive properties.

• Upvote 1

Hey Wannagrow,

From experience, I strongly disagree with your statement 'orally has no psychoactive effect'. Years ago I consumed a teaspoon of oil, I lost 3 days and came to 1000km from where I believed I was. I thought my mates had changed the road signs. I thought "How stupid do those pricks think I am?, changing the signs" lol I could not remember where I had been nor what I had done. I knew I didn't have the cash to do such a trip, so how did I get there? I still do not know.

You say "...if made properly..." How is it made properly, in your opinion, and how can anybody be sure of the way in which it has been made. I have made my own oil since but never again taken a teaspoon again, just too scary. So 'orally has no psychoactive effect'. Sorry, but BULLSHIT

Merl1n

• Upvote 3

Okay, I will happily stand corrected by those with first hand experience. I thought that fresh oil that had not decarbed would not get you high, in the same way fresh juiced cannabis will not get you high.

As far as properly made oil I was referring to oil made by extraction without heat as opposed to oil extracted with heat with the intention of getting you high.

There is no way all those parents giving oil to their kids have access to proper low THC strains. If they knew their kids were going to get off their face on it I am not sure they would be giving it to them.

"There is no way all those parents giving oil to their kids have access to proper low THC strains. If they knew their kids were going to get off their face on it I am not sure they would be giving it to them"

Again, from experience as I previously worked with people with severe disabilities, for some parents ANY relief is welcomed. If their child can obtain such relief, they will do it. Often the 'stoned effect' is undesired but necessary adverse effect for their child, even the pharma drugs have side effects and sometimes these can be as bad and even worse than the stoned effect. This debate has been going on for years with people all looking at the adverse effect. This focus needs to change to now look at the benefits. Does the patient receive a benefit? Yes or No. Not 'ohh a bit, but they are so off their face' DO THEY RECIEVE A BENEFIT!!!YES OR NO. If the answer is yes, then what is the problem. If it was your child, what would you do? Think about it. What would you do?

Merl1n

• Upvote 2

Hey Mel,

Sorry to hear of your fathers illness. MND is one nasty mother of a disease. I previously worked with people with disabilities and have some idea of what you are dealing with. I say 'previously' as I'm presently managing my own medical situation and haven't worked for more than a year now. Canna assists me to manage

I smoke canna, this has allowed me to reduce my need for pharma painkillers. I've reduced but not cut out altogether, I still need an opiate. I was smoking prior to my present need for pain relieve but I found when I smoked I wasn't taking meds every 4 hrs as previously required.

I have become (what I call) a 'conditioned smoker' I don't get stoned as easy as I once did (20+yr ago) and the effect is different. Some people get real chatty, some real silly, some really paranoid, so if you go down this path, be aware. Everybody is different and so are their reactions and tolerances. Also the method used for consuming gives different effects. For example eating it will give a body stone and relax the body, where smoking gives a head stone or a cerebral stone. Smoking leaf (which is not very nice) will give the least stone, where smoking bud will give a heavier stone. Some people mix bud with tobacco. This reduces the cannabis content but the tobacco can cause head spins. There is also tinctures and oils to consider. There are guides in Cannaversity ( http://cannaversity.com/strainguide/index.php )or in Green Eggs and Ham, our cooking page ( https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/forum/103-green-eggs-and-ham/ )

Being that your father is older and he is not well, I'd be starting with a very small dose of what ever you decide. It can be VERY difficult to dose canna accurately. So start small and wait between cones/doses as some can be creepers, where the full effect can take 5minutes (for smokables) to a couple of hours (for edibles) to appear.

Best of luck with it all and let us know how you get on. It may be helpful to others.

Merl1n

Hi Merl1n,

Thanks for feedback much appreciated. MND with cannabis oil has only a small study on mice that showed a mixture of THC and CDB cannabanoid mix shows more promise than either THC or CDB alone. Select this link to see the study (http://informahealthcare.com/doi/pdf/10.3109/17482968.2012.687264). I understand the sativa plan has more THC and indica more CDB. My old man wouldnt be able to smoke but as a tincture or oil is possible to use. I have no idea on cannabis strains and what is best. Hoping that someone has tried to assist MND sufferer with the oil. The hope is to stop the progression of the disease not neccessarily to cure it.

Cheers ...... 

Hi Merl1n,

Thanks for feedback much appreciated. MND with cannabis oil has only a small study on mice that showed a mixture of THC and CDB cannabanoid mix shows more promise than either THC or CDB alone. Select this link to see the study (http://informahealthcare.com/doi/pdf/10.3109/17482968.2012.687264). I understand the sativa plan has more THC and indica more CDB. My old man wouldnt be able to smoke but as a tincture or oil is possible to use. I have no idea on cannabis strains and what is best. Hoping that someone has tried to assist MND sufferer with the oil. The hope is to stop the progression of the disease not neccessarily to cure it.

Cheers ...... 

Btw does anyone know how Dr Katelaris in sydney, australia prepares his cannabis oils. Im wiling to try only i dont know how to source the raw material.

Cheers,

Melbgrk67 ....

I agree with everything Merlin said. I ingest buds which I chew, very small amounts of, oil a drop the size of a match head is way too much (depending how good the bud was).

I would be very cautious giving oil to your Dad, try tea from buds first much easier to dose slowly.

You will have to buy or grow your own, there are plenty of medical strains available on line.

Anything you buy on the street will be hit or miss whether its what you need. At least if you grow a medical strain it will not upset his mind too much.

If he has never had it before tread really gently, ingesting a strong sativa dominant could scare the shit out of him, and do more bad than good.

You should read as much as you can online from the US where they have been prescribing cannabis medicinaly for a while now and may have strains suited to his condition.

I know where you are coming from but its a dangerous thing to do with no experience with cannabis. Best of luck and I wish you well in your quest.

Tangwena

• Upvote 1

I agree with everything Merlin said. I ingest buds which I chew, very small amounts of, oil a drop the size of a match head is way too much (depending how good the bud was).

I would be very cautious giving oil to your Dad, try tea from buds first much easier to dose slowly.

You will have to buy or grow your own, there are plenty of medical strains available on line.

Anything you buy on the street will be hit or miss whether its what you need. At least if you grow a medical strain it will not upset his mind too much.

If he has never had it before tread really gently, ingesting a strong sativa dominant could scare the shit out of him, and do more bad than good.

You should read as much as you can online from the US where they have been prescribing cannabis medicinaly for a while now and may have strains suited to his condition.

I know where you are coming from but its a dangerous thing to do with no experience with cannabis. Best of luck and I wish you well in your quest.

Tangwena

Hello Tangwena,

Thank you very much for your feedback, much appreciated. Taking cannabis as a tea I didnt think about that, great idea. I will spend some time on US sites see if there is anything about teas and dosage and strains. I certainly dont want my dad getting high thats for sure.

Cheers,

Melbgrk67 ......