Using a dimmable digital ballast?

So, I've been looking at getting a digi ballast with dimming function, specifically the 600w Lumatek with the 4 settings from 250w to 600w boost, with a Gavita globe designed for digi ballasts.  I'm hoping to get some answers to a couple of questions about the effects of using the dimming function, and hoping to avoid a debate about mag reliability vs digi performance.

The big one for me is to do with dimming down to lower wattage settings.  They say you can use a 600w globe at any setting, or a globe matched to the given setting.  I change my globes very regularly, so a short drop in globe life is of no concern to me, so I was hoping to use 600w globes at the lower settings as needed.  What does worry me with this is whether the globe will still produce the full spectrum of light if running at 250 or 400w?  Also, as when using 250w for example, I would have it in a small veg chamber where heat dissipation could be an issue, so will the 600w globe run at the same lower temp as a 250w in this situation, or would I need to get the smaller globe to achieve this?  In other words I'm looking to use the same rig from seedling/clone chamber, and then into the big tent on full power.  I love gadgets and technology as much as the next stoner, but also see it as pointless if not used in the right way.

Any knowledge based on experience would be greatly appreciated.  Bong on Stoners

I would assume so as well, but have no idea.  I suppose my concern with the spectrum is the possibility that as the globe is engineered to produce it at a given wattage it may not necessarilly be capable of full functionality at a lower wattage.  I have no idea how HPS lights work to produce the spectrum they do, hence the questions.

I am pretty sure that they work due to the elements that are inside them (this gives the spectrum)... so in saying that I would imgaine the they would give the same spectrum at less intensity...

Same as a dimmable light switch will still give off WW or NW or CW depending on what bulb is in it... it will just be at less intensity..

Again this is poor mans logic and Im not expert... but I cant see how the spectrum would change significantly just by dimming....the elelments or what ever they use are still the same...just the wattage has changed..

Good luck mate

Hi Hashy,I love my 2 X 600watt Digital Ballast's.

I use a 600/watt lumatek Digital Ballast & a 600watt Quantum Digital Ballast,an don't have any prob's with dropping the wattage out put from 600 watt down to the  250 watt  using the same 600 watt hps globes.

As you drop the wattage the heat will drop down as well so it's a Win  Win all the way round.

I will plug my amp meter inline to check if the amp's drop as you drop the wattage from 600 watt's to 250 watt's an let you know the out come.

I did this same test about 4 yrs ago, but can't remember the out come, :pardon:See that's what weed does to you. lol 

Will reply to this post in a few days time for you Hashy.

Regards,Dingo-2008.