wet vs dry trim/manicure?

What are people's opinions on whether to trim/manicure wet or dry?

I've tried both now and found it much easier to trim the sugar leaves after the buds have dried sufficiently to start curing.  However, last time I did this in direct sunlight and I could see lots of "stuff" flying about and I'm guessing it was the precious trichomes??

The eyes aren't what they were 10 years ago and I hadn't noticed this problem until I was trimming in the bright light with some magnifying glasses on!

Hey Crow,

Personally I manicure when fully dry. I do this cos I don't have the time to be sitting and cleaning it all prior to drying. By drying then manicuring later, I can do the final clean at my pace and don't have to rush to get it done. I'd have to agree that there would be a lose of triches but I believe it would be minimal. Also when cleaning, I clean directly over a container to collect the trim. From the trim I then make hash. Any triches that fall do so into my container adding to the hash imo. Back (way back) when I used to buy bags, I know my 'bagman' was never this careful. But his smoko was always quality, so it makes me wonder how much is lost. Also he was not the grower so there would have been at least one more pair of hands coming in contact with the contents and reducing the trich content even more.

Now, when I make hash I use a 'tumbler' a bit like a clothes drier. The very first tumbler I made I just used the drum over a piece of glass with no housing around the drum. I collected the hash on the glass. I thought all was good but.......My mrs is a bit of a clean freak lol I am not. The whole bedroom I was using was covered in a fine dust, and I mean everything had a layer lol (SHE was not impressed at all) so I wiped some up and smoked it and sure enough, it was hash. So I know for a fact that it does float in the air. My present tumbler is housed in an external body of a clothes drier with a stainless steel sheet underneath to catch the triches. The enclosure allows the 'floaties' to settle and be collected.

That's just what I do, many will disagree and say its better to clean wet. Its a matter of choice and convenience for me.

Merl1n

Edited by merl1n
  • Upvote 1

Depends on how I am going to dry it... if I have the luxury to dry the plants whole, I will trim when they are mostly dry. If I don't have perfect conditions for drying, or time is an issue, I will trim wet.

I prefer to trim dry because I don't get so much resin on my hands.

If you trim wet the buds will shrink back and make a half arsed manicuring job very obvious which often leads to cleaning the buds up before putting them in jars to cure.  It is super easy and fast though so its got that going for it.

Trimming dry is a once off thing as the buds aren't going to shrink on your or anything but it is a much slower process as the leaves mould themselves in the shape of the buds as they dry and stick to everything like mad making it a much more delicate job.

Personally I trim wet and clean up if its needed when they're dry.  If I only had a few plants I'd dry them whole and trim entirely while dry but I just can't get past the speed and ease of trimming them up asap.