America's Stoned Kids

9.30pm - 10.30pm

SBS 2

Tonight

In November last year the American state of Colorado voted to legalise the recreational use of cannabis. It is the most radical experiment in drugs policy for generations and the world will be looking to see what happens, particularly to drug use amongst teenagers. In this hour long documentary for This World, clinical psychologist and addiction expert Professor John Marsden heads to Denver, the state capital, to assess the likely impact of legalisation on a country already suffering an epidemic of teenage marijuana use and the effect that marijuana is already having on their lives.

• Upvote 2

you can also watch it at here with an AU IP http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/78525507840/Americas-Stoned-Kids Expires - 30 January 2014, 10:30pm

i always appreciate when the viewing hour is put into my hands.

also , they dropped a sweet Burial track when showing that trippy blue brain scan, i think its called Dog Shelter. YouTube or Spotify to find.  great artist at any volume level.  especially good for late night pondering. lots of rich bass vibrations.

Edited by Fremit.The.Krog
  • Upvote 1

Yeah the way the film was edited, the people that were interviewed and the lack of much real data was pretty straight forward to see which way the show was biased. eg, the seedy cannabis bar scene v the adults sipping wine at home while being interviewed. Even though it was made to look unbiased it was obvious what was happening with the storyline.

Also, if that high school was one of the nighest achieving state schools in the US, with so much 'alleged' cannabis use, doesn't that say something?

The 15yr old that started smoking at 13 (2 years use under his belt pffft) and breaking into cars to steal cash to buy cannabis was, to me anyway, a ridiculous example of trying to connect the dots that cannabis use was to blame for him behaving like a typical stupid shit teenager.

It's going to be interesting to see what other information comes out this year, hopefully something with a bit more insight and balance.

• Upvote 2