colchacine

Yeah. I don't think I'd want to be putting gout meds on my plants....

Colchicine is also used to induce vomiting and used to quite literally make you shit quicker. (Not a laxative to soften the stool. It's a bit like coffee, makes the bowels work faster)

It is also toxic.

I know plenty of people out there use things like PGR's and the like. But there's not way you could pay me to use them, or colchicine for that matter.

That's just my two cents.

:freak:
Lenny.

Any links or quotes you have from books mentioning colchicine ed rosenthal mentioning etc would be a good addition to this thread.

Naycha :peace:

Robert Connel Clark's - Marijuana Botany discusses the use of colchicine under the section on Polyploidy, Chapter 3 Genetics and Breeding of Cannabis.

As does, Mel Frank and Ed Rosenthal - The Marijuana Grower's Guide.

18.7 Polyploids

H.R. Warmke also experimented with breeding programs during the war years. Polyploid Cannabis plants were produced by treatment with the alkaloid colchicine. Colchicine interferes with normal mitosis, the process in which cells are replicated. During replication, the normal doubling of chromosomes occurs, but colchicine prevents normal separation of the chromosomes into two cells. The cell then is left twice (or more then) the normal chromosome count.

Warmke's experiments concluded that polyploids contained higher concentrations of the "active ingredient." However, the procedure for measuring that ingredient was much the same is described for grafting, with probably similar shortcomings.

Polyploid Cannabis has been found to be larger, with larger leaves and flowers. Recent experience has shown that polyploids are not necessarily higher in potency. Usually they are about equal to diploid siblings.

Colchicine is a highly poisonous substance. The simplest and safest way to induce polyploids is to soak seeds in a solution of colchicine derived from bulbs of winter or autumn crocus (Colchicum). Mash the bulbs and add an equal part of water. Strain through filter paper (or paper towels). Soak seeds in the solution and plant when they start to germinate. Cultivate as usual.

Only some of the seeds will become polyploid. Polyploid sprouts generally have thicker stems, and the leaves are often unusually shaped, with uneven-sized blades. Leaves also may contain more than the usual number of blades. As the plant grows, leaves should return to normal form, but continue to be larger and with more blades.

If no polyploids sprout, use less water in preparing the solution.

Colchicine is also a prescribed drug for treatment of gout and is taken in pill form. These usually contain .6 mg per tablet. Use 10 tablets per ounce of water, and soak the seeds as described above.

Colchicine is also sold by mail-order firms which advertise in magazines such as Head or High Times.

Because colchicine is a poison, it should be handled carefully. It is not known if plants from seeds treated with colchicine will contain a harmful amount of colchicine when plants are grown. Harm is unlikely, because the uptake by the seed is so small, and because the colchicine would be further diluted during growth, as well as diminished by smoking. But we cannot guarantee that you can safely smoke colchicine-treated plants.

Edited by louise
  • Upvote 1

defluxtor you say i guess the truth hurts, the truth never hurts, its how one learns new things, and i thank any new info from anyone, that is why sites like this exist,  i do apologize stoners, i really did think  the book said they grew a treated a plant and seeded it ,with a thai male plant, and it was then the biggest plant they had seed, i have read that first treated plant grows slow, and there is a fine line of life and death, as this compound is poisonous, i have also seen this myself, i treated 1 hundred seeds and 3 lived and grew so slow at 3 months, they were 2 sets of leaves high, i lost interest and they died, i may have used to strong solution, dont know, but going buy  what i read and seen, it slows  growth some what when treated, so it to me made a bit more sense to me the plant in the photo must have been seed from a treated plant, if it was true that treated seeds do grow slower,and i have seen first hand that they do, then seeds from treated plants would grow larger than that pic , anyway not trying to encourage people to use this compound, just interested to hear what other people think, and i thank everyone for there thoughts or info thai

Edited by reflux 1
  • Upvote 2

Here is the chapter from the book you are referring to "The advanced growers guide to Marijuana Cultivation" by I.E.Hewitt and G.K.Mitchell

:) yep that's the book alright... I was so proud of the copy I owned lol ... information on pot was near impossible to source in Qld... it's still illegal to possess that book in this state!

The Qld Police added my edition to their library in 1989 so seeing that picture again is a real trip back in time, thanks defluxtor  :good:

Just say NO to colchicine kids  :peace:

• Upvote 1