colchacine

the most impressive plant pic i have ever seen. was in a small WA growbook. which was a colchacine treated female plant, it was so big, come harvest time i recon it would take ya a week to prune this freak of nature, every grow book looks into this compound, its been well know for years, and after seeing pics it really big time improves yield, but although every write up has read promising, no one seems to be talking about it, with some concerns about how safe is ,it mainly the first gen being unsafe for consumption, it splits and multiples cromizones, which means leaves usually have up to 11 blades, with this compound produces up to 37 blades per leaf. and instead of branches forming in pairs, they form in groups of 6, its been known to work since early 70s, with every write up ive seen looks promising, many great remarks but no mention in forums, its found in gout tablets and winter and autumn crocus's bulbs, which you mash up ad a equal amount of water, and germ seeds 

a bit more info. colchacine is poison, as and kills 95-97% of seed, the remainder become very sick, but recover over time ,only time i tried it out of 100 seed, 4 didnt die and wouldnt grow for about 1.5 months and lost them to police soon after, another drawback is they delay flowering adding 30% more flower time to finish, going by ive researched, it seems to increase yield 3-5 times bigger

I know the book and the pic you're talking about. Big plant for sure, one of the biggest I've seen, but I have seen bigger, true.

As for the mutated? plants, the story was as you said, they were supposed to be unsmokeable first round and apparently had to be crossed and grown out from seed again to get rid of?? I dunno lol some crazy fucking mutated gene? Funny how the authors of the book could show the first round plant but no pics ever surfaced as to what the grown out offspring looked like. Sounds like a 90% load of shit story with some half truths and some hocus pocus thrown in... there's an old thread here at OzStoners somewhere about it. If it were true and easy to do it would have been mastered by now with ginormous plants all over Australia... how many have you seen?... that should tell you something ;)

i could be wrong  but i am 90% sure i do remember the review, i owned the book for many years, they clearly said how they produced a colchacine plant, seeded it, and reused the seed, 2 gen seed which grew into the biggest plant they ever seen, but as you guys said, if it was so good, it would be commonly used, but the thing that makes me wonder is, i have never seen a single bad review, and most modern grow books have proved all the old wives tales wrong, most pot experts do, and never had bad things to say about it, if it was a bad thing respected experts like ed rosenhal would be talking about it in a bad way, not continualy mention it in mostly possative ways,  one more thing first gen would be safe for consumption i think, as a seed will soak up a very small amount, then at the end of the grow cycle it would be much smaller as the tiny amount would be disperse through out the plant, i mean if its safe to swallow a dose 100 x the amount for gout, then a dose 100 x smaller would have to be safe, as far as i can tell, its pregnant women where the real worries are, i also want to add, this is my personal a pinion, i could be wrong, so i would never want others to think i recommend this, if you haven't at least studied this compound dont use it

Colchicine is a mutagen used to make polyploid plants. It stops cell division in anaphase after the chromosomes have doubled but before the cell has begun to divide in two, then the whole process of cell division begins again from the start. This results in plants with double the normal chromosome count per cell (polyploid plants) It can create all kinds of weird and unwanted side effects in a genepool though when you breed from it. It can create plants that have multiple sets of sex genes in all kinds of weird and fucked up combinations of X's and Y's for eg .

There is a good reason you cant find much info on how to use it successfully with cannabis as a common thing.........breeding from polyploid plants can be a total head fuck at the best of times full of pitfalls and is well beyond the skills of many breeders and pretty much impossible for backyard pollen chuckers.

That said though....most of the food plants grown now in agriculture and many ornamental nursery plants are polyploid plants. It does have advantages when it works well and can be bred into a stable polyploid genepool.

:peace: MongyMan

• Upvote 1

not sure how to post a link ill look into it, the last raid made me loose all of my grow books, i haven't brought a grow book for about 8 years, but have owned about 7-8 high end grow books before then, i might be wrong; but i thought all of authors  brought the subject up, with all the experts seemed to be more interested this compound then not,  there was 3 negative things with this compound, they was 

1--first gen was maybe unsafe to consume

2--it often caused late finish times by 30% or so, in parts of south ozz,the low temp and rain that late in the year, is not good for flowering 

3--this compound is fatal to most seed with 5% germ rate 

but it seemed to increase yields a lot maybe x 2 or more with some strains

Here is the chapter from the book you are referring to "The advanced growers guide to Marijuana Cultivation" by I.E.Hewitt and G.K.Mitchell and is still available as I saw it only at Xmas at the Hydro Wharehouse South Brighton,Adelaide. You are mistaken Reflux as there is no mention of them growing out 2nd gen seeds. It clearly states 'The treated plant grew over 9 a month period and matured with hundreds of small floral clusters.The plant was selectively fertilised with a "Thai" male so that seed could be collected." No mention of them growing out that seed. post-53359-0-56541200-1390038155_thumb.jpgpost-53359-0-37368700-1390038169_thumb.jpgpost-53359-0-16962900-1390038181_thumb.jpgpost-53359-0-80289200-1390038196_thumb.jpg One would think that as the plant was treated at the seed stage only a very small amount would be absorbed and highly diluted once spread over such a large volume. However Colchicine ,as mentioned, is a mutagen so must be handled with care but.....if it is sourced from gout tablets what side effect do they have on gout sufferers ? Maybe rather than losing those toes they grow a few more !!!!! I have seen video on u-tube with clearly larger plants grow without such a treatment so good soil and fertiliser plus long daylight hours is probably a safer bet. Cheers Pat.

• Upvote 2